Dia G20 6-wheel Saloon

Posted (edited)

This Third Class Saloon was a  pleasing build utilising Shirescene and adapted Ratio parts. This has to be these easiest way of building a flexible and free-running 6-wheel chassis too. The centre wheelset rests in a cradle which allows transverse and a little radial movement, and can cope with tight radii comfortably.

The running number is purely cosmetic and awaits the arrival of a new decal sheet to enable correction. The decals are Railtec and the word 'SALOON' was an economical commission by them.

53694756265_5d09c7c5f3_c.jpg

53694665934_3150c3e7a5_c.jpg

Tony

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Funny 1

It’s fiddley but straightforward Jim. In this case, a Ratio Brake Third chassis was assembled as normal but the lower footboards were not added. A pair of W-iron / axle box were carefully cut away from a scrap Ratio 4 wheel chassis, with particular care taken to include the small brackets that attached the springs to the sole bar.

These units are then attached to the Bk 3rd assembly, having carefully measured the centre line first. The Bk 3rd tie rods are trimmed around the centre axle box and then glued to it.

A cradle - a sort of squared inverted U - is made out of whatever (plastic in this case) to hold the centre wheelset (file the axle points back to the wheel faces). Glue this to the underside of the floor, exactly in line with the W-irons, drop in the wheels and glue some thin brass strip (in this case, but could be anything) over the open top of the U to retain the axle. Insert the end wheel sets, glue in the brake block mouldings and finally apply the breathtakingly fragile lower step boards, having first very carefully cut out a middle section from each to clear the middle axle boxes.

Hope this helps. it is nowhere near as complicated as it may sound and it really does work. It looks good cosmetically - club members believe I use chassis from the new Hornby six-wheelers. That’s good enough for me!

Tony

• Like 2

Thanks for sight of that, it’s not one I’ve seen before and is helpful. I took the lettering detail from the photo in Penrhos’ excellent GWR coaches website.

Thanks again.

Tony