Revolution WIA car carriers in 00 and N

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

Here's another prototype formation that includes a single WIA set. I recorded this at Edge Hill (Liverpool) in September 2004: at that time, Allerton depot was doing wagon repairs and there was a daily (I think) service to and from Arpley, which reversed at Edge Hill.

1x MEA open box (black or grey w/ yellow top rail)

1x FAA container well wagon

1x WIA 5-unit car carrier

1x FIA container twin

The problem with this, I guess, is that while it's a prototypical formation, it looks a lot like a random train set assortment of stock. 

Jim

There's no way this rake is believable either....

IMG_0937.JPG.8cf2aeeb9c47b236a7d0b7076670aed6.JPG

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 26/07/2024 at 09:46, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

In answer to your questions:

1)  No, as currently designed there are no metal bearings.  Being articulated, each 5-car set has six bogies.  An equivalent rake of wagons would have 10 bogies.  Extrapolate that to your rake of 6 WIA sets and you have 36 bogies; which is the equivalent of 18 bogie wagons which I think most locos can cope with easily enough.  However, once we receive the EPs we can test and in the unlikely event the resistance is too high we can redesign.

2)  No, we won't be including any decals.  This would be one for aftermarket suppliers.  If you want to run full DB maybe an easier solution is to just renumber wagons that are already DB liveried?  You'd need to do that anyway as the plain wagons on offer haven't carried DB branding so far.

cheers

Ben A.

You'll be happy to know that I've ordered 6 different rakes, and am extending a siding to cater for it. I can always sell one if no locos can haul it!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have put my order in today and I’m very excited these are being built in OO. Wanted a rake for an age after watching many a train load of Mini’s passing Goring. In fact the job I did Friday just gone was right next to these getting loaded which was nice to see and made me want then more.

Well done Revolution.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not having a layout at present, although having a large collection of BR Blue era wagons, I do not normally look at the Products & Trade area of RMweb, however having stumbled across the WIA I felt obliged to place an order for one RfD set for sentimental reasons.  I was involved in the introduction of WIA's on a number of flows and being certified to operate the wagons, visited many locations across the UK, from Queenborough to Deanside, in order to conduct loading / unloading trials for RfD.  One small detail not mentioned on this thread, as far as I can see, is that the wagons required an external power supply to raise and lower the roof sections and internal car decks.  At established terminals fixed power supplies were provided with heavy duty cables connecting to the control box under the centre unit of each set, at smaller locations or trials a mobile generator was positioned alongside and connected up, RfD owned 4 or 5 of these mobile generators which were transferred between locations as required.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Further to my previous note this view taken on 11/08/1997 may be of interest.  47210 is seen propelling the first WIA (7049 710034) to visit Purfleet Deep Wharf having formed 4Z60 1316 ex Wembley Yard.  The train is moving through a vehicle storage area towards the loading ramps in order to undertake a trial loading of export Vauxhall cars, also one of the blue coloured RfD mobile generators can just be seen at the far right.

1997_08.115267R2PUBPurfleetDeepWharf-47210propellingWIA70497100344Z601316exWembleyYdforldtrialwithvauxhallcars.jpg.b3ada7cb2b068d49a7c12b59c9c49c36.jpg

• Like 12

(Flickr linked) Livery variation here from the late 1990s, not something I actually recall seeing. 

*Apologies. Unaware until after posting that Revolution have already shown an image of this set already.*

Wandsworth Rd

Edited by Purnu
Clarification
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Someone mentioned previously that early bird pricing might come to an end at the end of August, can Revolution confirm when this will be? Want to get my order in at the early bird price but also need to manage the cost around, you know, that life thing.

Will these be going to sold via retailers?

Whilst I can see the benefits of going direct, I would rather buy from a brick and mortar to keep them going as such. 

• RMweb Gold
On 27/08/2024 at 21:11, Ravel said:

Will these be going to sold via retailers?

Whilst I can see the benefits of going direct, I would rather buy from a brick and mortar to keep them going as such. 

They will be available from retailers but obviously at a higher price. 

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

On 29/08/2024 at 21:53, Revolution Mike said:

They will be available from retailers but obviously at a higher price. 

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

Could you enlighten us as to when early bird pricing will end? Thank you.

Rich