Revolution WIA car carriers in 00 and N

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Shaun66 said:

@Revolution Ben On the website it states that "All the models are a fixed rake of 5-units". Does this mean that the set is fully attached in the box?

No it means that like the real things they are fixed 5-car sets ie you can’t buy bits of a 5-car set or mix and match (well you could do the later but why would you want to 😀). It’s also to emphasise that you’re getting 5 wagons for the price. 

cheers Mike

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Revolution Mike said:

No it means that like the real things they are fixed 5-car sets ie you can’t buy bits of a 5-car set or mix and match (well you could do the later but why would you want to 😀). It’s also to emphasise that you’re getting 5 wagons for the price. 

cheers Mike

Cheers Mike, just wanted clarification. You'd be surprised what some people would do. Looking forward to these joining the collection.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

My understanding is that the units were delivered in plain blue with RfD squadron branding on the underframe of the 'right' side intermediate car.

A small number also received ACE and Ford branding.

EWS started removing the RfD squadron markings from 1999.

Then, DB Schenker began applying their vinyls to two intermediate cars on some sets after their takeover of EWS in 2009, before dropping the Schenker in 2016 and painting it out on the wagons.

If you are keen to replicate a particular period or flow I would suggest finding some You Tube videos.  Try searching for Cowley-Southampton or similar.  

Here's a video from 2016 showing a mix of DB Schenker and unbranded WIAs.  

cheers

Ben A.

That's 8 sets, 40 wagons, £1000. When does the earlybird offer end? What about a discount for multiple sets?

Edited by reddragon

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, reddragon said:

That's 8 sets, 40 wagons, £1000. When does the earlybird offer end? What about a discount for multiple sets?

Cant be many of us with room to run a 40 van rake.

maybe time for someone to set up a model railway rental business for rolling stock at exhibitions…

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well at 870mm/set it’s over 7m, plus a loco. That’s one for a Pete Waterman-esque layout! Would look awesome though. Not sure how many I can stretch to in N 🤔 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, reddragon said:

Hi there,

Our pricing is designed to reward those who order early.  The EarlyBird price period is usually around a month or two, but it varies.  We will try to give a few days notice when we decide to end it but that isn't always possible.

We don't offer multiple discounts.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I was excited to put my order through today, it felt a rather fun moment after many years of thinking “could I possibly scratchbuild one?” and badgering all the manufacturers at shows to consider doing them! 

I’ve commented on Revolution’s Facebook post but I couldn’t believe what great value the earlybird price is, an absolute steal for the amount of train you get! It made sense to order a ludicrous amount before the earlybird price expires, I can’t imagine they’ll be that cheap ever again - the sales tactic is working well! 😂

It feels like Revolution are changing the game on modelling automotive traffic, the Rover cubes, the Cartics and now these, from starvation to a feast..! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, James Makin said:

It feels like Revolution are changing the game on modelling automotive traffic, the Rover cubes, the Cartics and now these, from starvation to a feast..! 

It does seem as though they ought to come up with some fleets of cars to suit all these wagons - though of course there's no need for this particular choice of wagon. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, James Makin said:

I was excited to put my order through today, it felt a rather fun moment after many years of thinking “could I possibly scratchbuild one?” and badgering all the manufacturers at shows to consider doing them! 

I’ve commented on Revolution’s Facebook post but I couldn’t believe what great value the earlybird price is, an absolute steal for the amount of train you get! It made sense to order a ludicrous amount before the earlybird price expires, I can’t imagine they’ll be that cheap ever again - the sales tactic is working well! 😂

Don't forget the IPA single deck twins and quads, my own personal favourites so far...!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Don't forget the IPA single deck twins and quads, my own personal favourites so far...!

cheers

Ben A.

Oh yes of course, I forgot about those! I bought a load of the single-decks at the time with a view to putting some ‘smiley-face’ Ford Transits on board when a suitable model comes out some day! 

Revolution deserve a ‘services to automotive train modelling’ award I think..! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, these do look good at £25 per wagon and I've always wanted a rake so maybe I'll pre-order a rake.

What is the model length of a 5 car pack, so that I can see how many sets will fit into my sidings?

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, reddragon said:

OK, these do look good at £25 per wagon and I've always wanted a rake so maybe I'll pre-order a rake.

What is the model length of a 5 car pack, so that I can see how many sets will fit into my sidings?

The WIA car carriers are approx 870mm over buffers and 876mm over the outer faces of the tension lock couplers.

cheers

Ben A.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

The WIA car carriers are approx 870mm over buffers and 876mm over the outer faces of the tension lock couplers.

cheers

Ben A.

OK, thanks. Looks like I can ger 5 sets in most sidings and if I move a point I can get 6 into 2 new sidings.

If early bird remains to the end of July, I shall order!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Steven B said:

If you can't afford or don't have room for a 40 car set, all you need is one five car set:

Eastleigh 66134

Southampton 60045

(Both David Hann on Flickr)

You can double head too if you want:

29107013438_6952154090_w.jpg

66130/66059-Heywood Village. by TomCurtisRailGallery, on Flickr

I have an AS class 60 in EWS on the way, ideal to haul a rake! My other locos are in the wrong liveries.

So I looked for videos of these coming through my local station and countered the 5-car rakes. 1,2,3,4,5 I need more space, 6,7,8, so not only the WCML, 9, 10. That's 50 wagons!

Edited by reddragon
  • Like 1

Has anyone had any issues when paying for these. Ordered in the early hours and keep getting an unable to process payment error, I've tried different cards multiple times since. I have already sent an email.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gang;

With the N Gauge version now ready to order, the only question is how many???

I have two sets already from CJM, and will be looking to at least double that...4 sets should make a nice long snaking train in N Gauge, or maybe 5 sets would be better??

Later;

Stu from NRSW

• Like 1

Decisions, Decisions Stu, life is full of difficult decisions!!

I have the same dilemma as you. What to add to the CJM pair.

I think I will be brave and plumb for 3.

All the Best,

Ged.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A final question @Revolution Ben before I order a rake. Are there metal bearings at the axle boxes to ensure free running? 

I ask because I have a rake from another manufacturer that doesn't and few of my locos can haul 12 of them let alone a rake of 30! I need to know it can be hauled.

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, reddragon said:

A final question @Revolution Ben before I order a rake. Are there metal bearings at the axle boxes to ensure free running? 

I ask because I have a rake from another manufacturer that doesn't and few of my locos can haul 12 of them let alone a rake of 30! I need to know it can be hauled.

20 hours ago, reddragon said:

Just an idea, @Revolution Ben what about sticking some DB transfers in the plain wagon sets to allow buyers to complete a full 6 set DB pack?

Hi there,

In answer to your questions:

1)  No, as currently designed there are no metal bearings.  Being articulated, each 5-car set has six bogies.  An equivalent rake of wagons would have 10 bogies.  Extrapolate that to your rake of 6 WIA sets and you have 36 bogies; which is the equivalent of 18 bogie wagons which I think most locos can cope with easily enough.  However, once we receive the EPs we can test and in the unlikely event the resistance is too high we can redesign.

2)  No, we won't be including any decals.  This would be one for aftermarket suppliers.  If you want to run full DB maybe an easier solution is to just renumber wagons that are already DB liveried?  You'd need to do that anyway as the plain wagons on offer haven't carried DB branding so far.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Here's another prototype formation that includes a single WIA set. I recorded this at Edge Hill (Liverpool) in September 2004: at that time, Allerton depot was doing wagon repairs and there was a daily (I think) service to and from Arpley, which reversed at Edge Hill.

1x MEA open box (black or grey w/ yellow top rail)

1x FAA container well wagon

1x WIA 5-unit car carrier

1x FIA container twin

The problem with this, I guess, is that while it's a prototypical formation, it looks a lot like a random train set assortment of stock. 

Jim

• Like 2