Moving Millions - London Transport - 1947

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Here's a fabulous fifteen minute film full of interest and nostalgia from the bowler hatted passenger on the tube to the clippie on the bus. My favourite moment; the Wallace and Gromit scrub-o-matic seat cleaner at 6:05. Enjoy.

• Like 5

What a period piece!  I was perhaps more taken by the idea that 30,000 people all wanted to go to Epsom at the same time to watch an earlier form of high-speed transport!  It's easy to forget the sheer amount of bureaucracy and clerical manpower needed to design a timetable and collect fares before the days before computers.  What work is available for these people now?  And it's the first time I've ever seen long-welded rail hauled by steam.

Interesting that credits at the end say that the fim was produced by Britain's propaganda miniatry, the COI for LTE at the request of the Foreign Office.  What on earth was their interest - was the aim to impress foreigners about how modern post-war London was?  An early version of the I'm backing Britain campaign of the late 1960s?