Larkrail International Festival of Railways and Byways 2024

queensquare

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Cracking day showing Lockdown Fen.

I am in debt to a friend who drove over to Keynsham to pick me up along with the layout. A combination of an injured back and a car in car sick bay may have led to a reluctant withdrawal but we ended up having a great day.

We were all set up by 0845 and an invitation to join the good Captain for a bit of a Larkhall French breakfast suited me admirably...a wonderful Croque Madame...and one of the best coffees I've had in a very long time..

53854152406_dbfe7b469c_c.jpg

The layout performed well but was in good company and I was very impressed by pretty much everything I saw. My thanks to both Simon and Jerry for their planning & organisation and the layout builders and operators for their hard work.

Lunch was excellent and I returned home with some half price fruit cake secured at 1629 as the show drew to a close (plus some products of a very nice deli located next to the breakfast venue...)

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Thoroughly enjoyed the cakes, Almond, lemon drizzle & chocolate were the choice today 👍

It’s a bit like human pinball bouncing from one group of friends to another in front of wonderful layouts. 

No matter how hard I tried I failed to get Parkend and Parkend Marsh Sidings in the same pic to do a “small & far away” comparison 😆

When it got crowded we retreated to the courtyard for tea, cake and chat with Mike and Richard. 

IMG_9442.jpeg.f4ab74d8ec7d20845efe974333c888a2.jpeg

Longwood was lovely but having running problems, fortunately even with minimal movement there’s a feast for the eyes. 

IMG_9446.jpeg.6ee1b0c38209d8876b23b34cb2b97d39.jpeg

IMG_9449.jpeg.e1d627614099abb98630b77b01e237fc.jpeg

IMG_9452.jpeg.539d5c191d85414c622d34faab35a24f.jpegIMG_9451.jpeg.b60ea3514abbd674e8418512218c56bd.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

IMG_9456.jpeg.26f1ae6ec9df887e55b21a3880ef1058.jpeg

Lovely!

IMG_9457.jpeg.05f05f2b391dd0171a388b73a5b5dec8.jpeg

A few years ago Giles forgot his stock at ExpoNG which Di saved the day by racing back home for. This time he forgot the track! 🤣

IMG_9458.jpeg.cee47a0fd814aea9e444d020de146127.jpeg

Someone mentioned cake and it all became a blur . . .

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

IMG_9481.jpeg.2b67584a0592377f2e7643a1cd76acb8.jpeg

Stunning composition with subtle stories.

This layout was a revelation - the signs of hope and everyday activities amongst the ruins was absolutely stunning. A brilliant model with an equally stunning backscene.

Edited by Andy Vincent
Added very honourable mention for the backscene!
  • Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Excellent show, well done guys, sadly I was called away for a minor family emergency.  Looking forward to LarkRail 2025 already!

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic day out and among all the highlights shown was lovely Victoria sandwich - main course lunch, with coffee and walnut as starter.  As a cafe festival it has been a great success and I can see from above - and echo the layouts helped set the scene and provided a very worthwhile diversion. 

A large thank you for all taking time to bake, make and operate railways - very inspirational.  Of course a bit thanks to the management of the show.  The book shop was great even if my plastic did temporarily confuse the little folk  in the card reader.     

I hope once rested and the business is sorted then the collective  will look kindly on the 2025 Larkhall cake/ railway festival.  

Robert 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Another vote of thanks to Jerry and Simon for laying on a fantastic day, and to Kim and company for their work in the catering department.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Another vote of thanks to Jerry and Simon for laying on a fantastic day, and to Kim and company for their work in the catering department.

Seconded!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to the folks who organised the show, and gave such a varied selection of quality layouts. Thanks too for the exhibitors, all very friendly. I found it all really inspiring.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Stunning composition with subtle stories. 

IMG_9482.jpeg

The yellow building in the centre looks to have enjoyed the day as well ! 😄

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Well my first time attending and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I think Jerry and Simon have stumbled on a sort of "quality modellers anonymous" group therapy session more than an exhibition. Met loads of familiar faces and was introduced to more new friends as well as admiring some lovely layouts in all scales. The cafe area thus serves a more important function here, fueled by Kim and the team with more temptation than is healthy for the waistline. Still fruit cake does count as one of your 5 a day apparently. Thanks all for a great day and now inducted, I look forward to the next.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

As ever a great day out. In many ways the chance to see the selection of the superb  layouts came second to the opportunity to meet up and chat with so many friends, old and new. A great social occasion rounded off by the opportunity to visit the Titfield Thunderbolt and buy books that I had no idea I needed. 

I then finished the day with a visit to Bath Green Park ( Sainsburys ) to buy beer on the way home. 

Here's to the next one. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

As ever a great day out. In many ways the chance to see the selection of the superb  layouts came second to the opportunity to meet up and chat with so many friends, old and new. A great social occasion rounded off by the opportunity to visit the Titfield Thunderbolt and buy books that I had no idea I needed. 

I then finished the day with a visit to Bath Green Park ( Sainsburys ) to buy beer on the way home. 

Here's to the next one. 

Rob

The lure of exotic foreign beers.... I only went home with deux pains au chocolat and une bagutte from the deli in the high street...

Good to see you Rob and thank you again for the "special delivery"

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Now you know they say DC is far simpler than DCC? 😇

the Captain swapping controllers for the ultimate experience 😉

Cheeky!

15 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

IMG_9495.jpeg.7984d061f5fd416911c9481cccefced2.jpeg

How very considerate. 

Oi!!

Double cheeky!!!

I only had my annual bath a couple of months ago!!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1