BRM May + Traction. It's ON-SALE NOW!

SteveCole

• Administrators

The 180-page May issue of BRM is available to download as a Digital Edition as part of our amazing value World of Railways Plus membership. Not only do you get this issue of BRM, but you also get a mass of extra benefits, including a vast magazine archive and a free ticket to a Warners show of your choice EVERY year. Click here to become a member and access BRM May.

You can also download it as a single issue or part of a subscription by clicking here.

The print edition is available to purchase from leading supermarkets, newsagents and WHSmiths stores from April 18th! You can also purchase direct from us for just £5.49 with FREE UK postage. Click here.

Or, subscribe and pay just £4.23 an issue! Click here to subscribe.

BRM.png 

Contents.png

World of Railways TV - only available to digital edition readers and print subscribers.
In this latest issue of World of Railways TV, we revisit Hope-under-Dinmore before it’s due to appear at our Bristol exhibition next month, Phil Parker builds a 009 display track for his growing collection of trains, plus Tony Wright puts the new Hornby Fowler 2-6-4T to the test on 'Little Bytham'.

Sit back, relax, pop the kettle on, and enjoy the latest instalment of World of Railways TV.

What’s Inside BRM May…

FOUR FANTASTIC LAYOUTS
* Metcalfe Road (OO)
* Chieftain Place (N)
* Trowland (S)
* Barrihandie Part II (OO)

Family Tribute.png

Barrihandie.png

Work of art.png

PRACTICAL ADVICE
* Modelling coal loads
* How to enhance a Hornby crane
* Build a Lomac in OO
* Fitting out a signal box
* Elevate your card kits
* How to model deep water in six steps
* Build a Goods Shed: Part 3

Goods Shed.png

PLUS
* Traction magazine: Stirling station explored, grain and timber terminals in detail, plus much more…
* Reviews of the new Accurascale Mk. 2b coaches, Hornby HST, Heljan Class 47, Dapol Class 59, plus much more
* History of semaphore signals explored
* A round-up of the latest headlines from the model railway world

Heljan.png

Traction.png

Enjoy the issue!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Had a quick look through my subscribers' copy yesterday - looks to be another cracking issue, thanks to all.  @AY Mod seems to be working overtime on the reviews in this issue!  Much to enjoy, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

@AY Mod seems to be working overtime on the reviews in this issue!  Much to enjoy, Keith.

I was thinking the same. I can imagine it's a pleasant exercise until it all has to be written up!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I was thinking the same. I can imagine it's a pleasant exercise until it all has to be written up!

It's a lot of fact checking, comparisons and deliberation before getting as far as assembling some words in the right order and sorting out the pics. Last month was a crazy one; years ago who would have thought you'd see nine new tooling lines in a month? It was six the month before that and I'm on number four already for next month.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

years ago who would have thought you'd see nine new tooling lines in a month? It was six the month before that and I'm on number four already for next month.

That's dying hobbies for you 😉

• Funny 6

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's a lot of fact checking, comparisons and deliberation before getting as far as assembling some words in the right order and sorting out the pics. Last month was a crazy one; years ago who would have thought you'd see nine new tooling lines in a month? It was six the month before that and I'm on number four already for next month.

I am sure I could sell you an AI tool that would help, are you a senior project manager with 20 years experience as that helps apparently with getting the style of the output right.

But I am sure we can find a persona that would suit from somewhere within GPT4

• Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But I am sure we can find a persona that would suit from somewhere within GPT4

Chat GPT loves the Heljan 47.

"Review: Heljan Class 47 Model Locomotive

As a fervent enthusiast of model railways, I recently had the pleasure of acquiring the new Heljan Class 47 locomotive, and I must say, it's a remarkable addition to my collection. Heljan has consistently set a high standard for model locomotives, and this Class 47 is no exception.

Appearance and Detailing: Straight out of the box, the level of detailing on this model is impressive. From the finely rendered grilles to the intricate cab interior, Heljan has paid close attention to capturing the essence of the Class 47. The crisp paintwork and accurate livery application further enhance its visual appeal, making it a standout piece on any layout.

Performance: Performance-wise, the Heljan Class 47 excels. Its smooth motor and precise mechanism ensure seamless operation, whether it's pulling a lengthy freight consist or gliding along with a passenger train. The locomotive runs quietly and effortlessly, adding a touch of realism to the layout.

Features: One of the standout features of this model is its attention to detail in terms of features. The separately fitted handrails, etched grilles, and delicate roof-mounted equipment contribute to its authenticity. Additionally, the inclusion of working lights, accurately replicated bogies, and NEM coupler pockets enhance both the aesthetic appeal and functionality of the locomotive.

Value for Money: While Heljan models often come with a higher price tag compared to some other manufacturers, the quality and attention to detail justify the cost. The Heljan Class 47 offers excellent value for money, especially considering its superb detailing, smooth performance, and array of features.

Overall Impression: In conclusion, the Heljan Class 47 model locomotive is a commendable addition to any model railway enthusiast's collection. Its exceptional detailing, smooth performance, and array of features make it a standout choice for those seeking realism and quality in their models. Whether you're a dedicated enthusiast or a casual hobbyist, this locomotive is sure to impress with its charm and authenticity. Heljan has once again proven why they're regarded as one of the premier manufacturers in the model railway industry."

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Have tried it using a persona of a typical jaded cynical modeller 🤣

I've been rumbled...

"Review: Heljan Class 47 Model Locomotive

So, Heljan has graced us with yet another rendition of the venerable Class 47, huh? As a seasoned modeller with a penchant for scrutinizing every detail, let's see if this latest offering lives up to the hype or if it's just another run-of-the-mill disappointment.

Appearance and Detailing: Alright, let's give credit where it's due. The detailing on this Class 47 is decent, I'll admit. The grilles look alright, and the cab interior is passable. But let's not kid ourselves; it's nothing groundbreaking. I've seen better detailing on other models, and for the price point, I expect more than just "alright."

Performance: Ah, the performance test. Surprisingly, this is where the Heljan Class 47 manages to redeem itself somewhat. The motor runs smoothly, and it doesn't stutter or jerk like some cheaper models tend to. It's not exactly groundbreaking, but at least it doesn't sound like a dying cat when it's running. So, kudos to Heljan for getting this part right.

Features: Now, here's where things get interesting. Or rather, disappointing. Sure, it's got the basic features like working lights and all that jazz. But where are the innovative additions? Where's the attempt to push the envelope and offer something new to the modeller community? It feels like Heljan played it safe and stuck to the tried-and-tested formula without daring to be different.

Value for Money: Let's talk turkey. Is this Class 47 worth the hefty price tag? Frankly, I'm not convinced. Sure, it's a decent model, but for the amount they're asking, I expect excellence, not just mediocrity. When you factor in the lack of groundbreaking features and the somewhat underwhelming detailing, it's hard to justify the cost.

Overall Impression: So, what's the final verdict? The Heljan Class 47 is a decent addition to your collection if you're content with mediocrity. It ticks all the boxes without ever truly excelling in any area. If you're a jaded cynic like me, you'll find plenty to nitpick about. But if you're just looking for a run-of-the-mill locomotive to add to your layout, then sure, go ahead and pick one up. Just don't expect it to blow your socks off."

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

I tried it using the persona of a man of malachite

Review Heljan Class 47 Locomotive

It's kind of the same boxy shape as CC1 and has the same number of wheels, but the shade of green is all wrong and it wasn't designed by Bulleid.  So it's not for me and I cannot recommend this model to any of my friends down at the club.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

Has AI been used for the "Expert Reviews" 'headline' at the bottom of the cover? Or someone from the lower end of Tabloid journalism??

"Be the first to find out which new models you need to buy"....

Seriously?? 

Such over the top hyperbole fails on two counts - "be the first..." yeah like all the other readers who buy the mag - or saw reviews online well before the mags are published anyway!! -

and secondly "new models you need to buy" - well I'll decide for myself thanks very much what models I need -  and speaking personally, the models I'm most likely to buy won't ever feature in BRM anyway!!! Which also blows out of the water the strapline across the top - "The only railway modelling magazine you'll ever need"...??? 

Sorry, not in my case, or, I suspect, quite a few others.

Someone at Warners needs to calm down a bit when writing headlines for BRM. Or change the colour behind the BRM logo so they remember they're not writing for a tabloid 'red top' audience......

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" is an old phrase with more than a grain of truth to it. The content itself of BRM is usually good, even if often it doesn't make it a 'must buy' for me, due to my mainly 'foreign' interests, but o.t.t. 'headlines' on the cover really don't help, to my mind anyway.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

If the cover text gets you that riled up then you must be totally apoplectic by the time you have read the first article.

I have to admit that I tend to look at the pictures and then revert to the text if a particular shot interests me - the exception being the practicals.  I seldom get irked by the content with the exception of one modeller referring to his customary Spitfire flying over the layout next the picture of a Hurricane flying over the layout.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

If the cover text gets you that riled up then you must be totally apoplectic by the time you have read the first article

I did say the content is usually good. 😉

Yes I remember the Spitfire-Hurricane gaffe as well... 👍🤣🤣

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow, what a fantastic edition with an incredible 3 additional magazines attached - now that’s what I call VFM!  I poured over nearly every article this month and found the one about the Live Diesel engine in Garden Rail incredibly interesting.  Never heard of a glow plug engine before!  The quality of the layouts in BRM was something else in this issue.  Metcalfe Road is as much art as model railway and I just couldn’t take my eyes off Barrihandie - just wow.  That double page picture of the harbour was perfect and I see Andy York was at his best with his customary photo stacking - crisp and sharp from front to back. Maybe one day we will all be able to do that. In fact I note how busy Andy was in this issue with all those reviews - superb reading.  That TT Hornby Inter-City has really watered my mouth!  You know, it has to be said how BRM has come on in leaps and bounds since Warners took the helm and then improved it even more with the RMweb tie in - I actually don’t think there is another mag that can touch it now, including Railway Modeller!  How long has it been - 12 years? Whatever, I can’t help but feel a little pride in having played a small part with my own contributions and consider myself lucky indeed to have been considered good enough to appear.  Well done everybody and I don’t think it’s over the top to suggest that BRM has played a significant role in keeping our magnificent hobby alive, kicking and extremely healthy.  Keep up the superb work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Hmmm?  Question for the team I guess: was consideration given to the unintended, but likely, ‘walletary’ consequences of incorporating Traction into BRM when the decision was made, particularly for readers in their 50s like me who grew up with BR blue…🤣:

IMG_1017.jpeg.72b7bcd557b06490c8c356fef052d56e.jpeg

I’ve been happily dabbling in various Continental and North American projects (Narrow Gauge and Standard Gauge) for the last three years, so how has this happened…?  Fun times as always, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Question for the team I guess: was consideration given to the unintended, but likely, ‘walletary’ consequences of incorporating Traction into BRM considered when the decision was made, particularly for readers in their 50s like me

I couldn't possibly comment (for fear of upsetting Men of Malachite and copper-topped sorts) that blue diesel and sectorisation periods are the most popular with modellers nowadays.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

for fear of upsetting Men of Malachite and copper-topped sorts)

It's never stopped you before.....just thinking aloud....

• Funny 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

It's never stopped you before.....just thinking aloud....

Not to mention naming committees that seem preoccupied with The Observers Book of Birds or the Racing Post.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

I’ve been happily dabbling in various Continental and North American projects (Narrow Gauge and Standard Gauge) for the last three years, so how has this happened…?

I dunno.... 🙄 youngsters these days - no self control..!! 😬🤦‍♂️ (says a fellow late 50-something, also grew up with BR Blue, been fighting the urge to buy a Hornby TT120 Blue HST set recently... 😱😳😳😳 )

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to say it, but I do miss Traction as a separate mag.  Does the Traction section pull out as a separate part as I am more likely to keep the Traction part and recycle the rest down the line?  I could try it in WHSmiths but I might get very odd looks...

4 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Sorry to say it, but I do miss Traction as a separate mag.  Does the Traction section pull out as a separate part as I am more likely to keep the Traction part and recycle the rest down the line?  I could try it in WHSmiths but I might get very odd looks...

Because there are so many pages, the magazine is perfect bound, so you can't just pull it out of the middle. Run a Stanley knife down the inside of the spine, and it's not difficult to extract any pages required. I've done it many times to reduce my pile and put the results in box files.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/04/2024 at 14:02, PaternosterRow said:

You know, it has to be said how BRM has come on in leaps and bounds since Warners took the helm

Err… BRM has always been Warners since the very first issue. But I agree that it's an excellent magazine.

• RMweb Gold

I for one really like the inclusion of Traction magazine in BRM, but I do wonder how the steam modellers and fans feel about it being in there.