Bristol Brunel Model Railway Show, 1st November

Calnefoxile

Anyone coming along to this show on Sunday????

I will be there operating one of our club layouts - Pengwynn Crossing, it will be running in its 80's guise.

We will also have our Wartime layout there as well, I could tell you more but I'd then have to shoot you :P :P

Here is the website for more details http://bristolbrunelmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/events.htm

If you do come along, pop over and say hello.

Regards

Neal.

Well it was good to see Calnefoxile and sidecarracer there today.

It was a good show but I won't be going next year even if the club get an invite. The rest of the club guys can sort it out between them how they move the layout.

Having followed the advice of the marshals on where to go and wait for a place on the loading dock I received unwarranted verbal abuse from other exhibitors when I am holding short on the entry ramp for the loading bay is not on. I was half minded to get out and smack them in the face given the language used towards me. That wouldn't have solved anything so I thought better of it.

I have been at professional exhibitions outside the railway world such as the Farnborough and Paris Airshows. When exhibition staff tell me what to do I follow their instructions. Sadly it seems some arrogant arses who go to model railway exhibitions do not understand professional exhibition build / breakdown procedures and ignore what the marshals are telling them and try to do their own thing. We all want to get out of there ASAP but there has to be some sort of order to get things done and taking equipment down a live loading bay access ramp is not professional or safe.

My own personal preference is that layouts should be cleared before traders. Traders take an age to load whereas clubs with layouts are generally well practiced in getting out quick.

Kindest regards

John

It can work both ways . Ihave been at shows when layout owners/operators have totally ignored any instructions given. Also take into account that the unloading/loading facilities at The Train Shed are not the best. I have also been to exhibitions when traders have been packed and gone long before some layouts have even thought about packing up. I have worked on a twenty four foot stand have have been packed and loaded in 45 minutes. So the motto is give and take and we will get along . :mellow:

It can work both ways . Ihave been at shows when layout owners/operators have totally ignored any instructions given. Also take into account that the unloading/loading facilities at The Train Shed are not the best. I have also been to exhibitions when traders have been packed and gone long before some layouts have even thought about packing up. I have worked on a twenty four foot stand have have been packed and loaded in 45 minutes. So the motto is give and take and we will get along . :mellow:

Point well made and taken (made note of). I was especially hacked off on Sunday night after the excellent organisation on Saturday night during the building of the exhibition.

There is no excuse for verbal abuse when you are following the instructions of the organisers but I do appreciate that this venue is particularly bad since it is also the long stay car park for the railway station so members of the public are also trying to get into the car park.

Compare that to the excellent venues such as the Peterborough show (East of England showground) and the Leamington show at Stoneleigh Park exhibition ground and you can see why the problems occur. Those venues are dedicated exhibition venues that have multiple doors so a mass decamp can be achieved.

Kindest regards

John

Archived