Rollable backscene material

Good afternoon, 

I am looking for a suitable material on which to paint a simple backscene (mainly, or all, sky). It would need to be white or light grey, matt with no discernible texture, sized around 10' x 2', and rollable for transport/storage without creasing. Can anyone suggest a specific material? 

The backscene is for use on a small portable 0 gauge layout. I'd like a single backscene that runs the length (and widths) of the boards without needing more than one piece, which would otherwise necessitate a visible join. It needs to be rollable without crinkling. 

I bought a plain white vinyl banner with glued seams at the edges, but it's not perfectly smooth (particularly near the sides) and buckles easily, which then leaves creases. I think I need to use something a bit thicker or more resilient. Searching online isn't easy, as you can't really tell what materials are like without seeing them, and people tend not to be willing to provide a small sample. If anyone can suggest a specific product they have used and where they got it, that would be of great help. 

Thanks, 

Rick 

Edited by Rgb

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A suggestion out of the blue….. I’ve had cause to fit a few roller blinds in the last few months, and the blackout type tend to have almost a smooth rubbery feel. May fit your criteria of smoothness but no idea about taking paint.

Might be worth meandering in B&Q, Homebase etc. although you’d end up with surplus cords and rollers, unless you can somehow work those into your situation horizontally. If you think it’s suitable, might be worth contacting one of the on line retailers, as (a) cheaper, (b) they do offer spares, which suggests they may be able to do ‘blind only’ without all the fittings (c) they tailor make to any size 
Good luck

Ian

Edited by ITG
Added thoughts
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ian.

That's good thinking. I'll take a look. I hope it'll resist crinkling. 

Thanks for the suggestion! 

Rick

Painted cloths are a practical problem in all sizes. I come from a theatre background where this is our bread and butter. Cloths may be canvas (rather too heavy in this scenario) , filled cloth or gauze - all of which have variations of weight, weave, attributes and uses. When painting, whey are stretched out battened to a paint frame or floor, first for a coat of primer, and then for painting. If one paints a cloth loose, it will shrink erratically and will never be a flat surface again. Only when the cloth is fully painted and fully dry is it freed. It will then be very carefully rolled on a batten or pipe for transport. Cloths will normally have ties at the top to tie them onto a flying bar, and a pocket at the bottom to slide in (nowadays) steel electrical condiut tube to act as a weight at the bottom to give an even, gentle pull, giving a nice smooth cloth. The sides may be pocketed for more conduit,  or just seamed and cyclorama stretchers used  - wooden clamps that grip the cloth with sash cord attached to gently pull the sides out into the wings to get rid of the inevitable slight vertical wrinkles that you get at the sides of a hanging cloth.

If, however you are thinking of bringing the sides of the cloth downstage to cover the ends of the layout, it becomes more complicated, as a cloth on a curve (unless loose, and with associated wrinkles) does Odd things. Curved bars top and bottom are the thing for that, but this leads to lighting complications as well!!!

For my last layout, I got a backcloth photo printed to my own artwork of a cloudy sky, which gave me a flat non cracking, non shrunk material that behaves itself. It came with pockets ready-made top and bottom (at my request) and survives being rolled well. Mine is 10ft x 5ft if I remember correctly, and came from one of these on-line banner making websites. The material I think would be either a heavy gauze or a light filled cloth - I can't quite remember 

• Informative/Useful 2

Hi Giles,

Thanks very much for your detailed comments!  I am indeed looking to have the backscene cover the two ends of the layout as well, in a sort of wrap-around arrangement.  That would then avoid any right-angled corners, which aren't very prototypical in our sky!

I think I would need mine to be rolled lengthways (i.e., about a vertical axis, when it is oriented on the layout), else it will be too long to store and transport, but I like your point about having a pocket at the base to accept a long weighty pole to hold the whole thing taut.

Looking through some photographs I have taken of various people's setups at exhibitions suggests that the materials and mechanisms used on Gordon Gravett's "Arun Quay" and on Mike Baker and Martin Finney's "Newton Heath Works" (both wonderful layouts!) should suit my needs.  Please see the attached photos of these.  If anyone happens to know these modellers and could put me in touch with them to quiz them, or less likely knows the materials used, it would be much appreciated!  :)

Rick

Newton Heath Works backscene.jpg

Arun Quay backscene.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thanks PMP, and that 's a great effect you have achieved.  But therein lies my problem - identifying a specific material that I can ask a supplier to supply :)   I don't know what to ask for, as one man's "smooth and matt" is another man's "fine texture and slight sheen", and they don't seem to be able to comment on resistance to creasing.

Edited by Rgb

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rgb said:

Thanks PMP, and that 's a great effect you have achieved.  But therein lies my problem - identifying a specific material that I can ask a supplier to supply :)   I don't know what to ask for, as one man's "smooth and matt" is another man's "fine texture and slight sheen", and they don't seem to be able to comment on resistance to creasing.

Creases are always a risk and you won’t be able to 100% prevent them. If you crease this sort of material it’s likely to be permanently damaged. The only thing you can do is handle it carefully, store it and transport it with the same care. 11 years on, mine is still as good as new.

• Like 1