Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Maurice Dart

pb_devon

Here is a bit more about Maurice from my own recollections of things he shared with me.

He was a Plymouth boy, and was one of the informal “St Budeaux Railway Circle” a group of lads who gathered at the two stations in the suburb served by GWR and SR to spot. He joined ECC in the laboratory at Lee Moor, then transferred to St Austell where he remained for the rest of his life. He never married but often turned up at events with a variety of lady friends. His local accent was so thick you had to concentrate to understand, especially after a pint or so. He & I were undertaking a mini tour once of tramways in clay country, on a Tuesday, and we stopped at the pub in Stenalees for lunch. It was packed with clay workers, and everyone knew Maurice. It took a bit of effort to get him back out the pub and on with our tour! 
Maurice was also into the Folk scene and was a member of the local Morris Men. A friend of mine from Bodmin Folk Club said to me this morning “I knew Maurice well over 50 years and he looked the same all that time!”.

He was a wonderful character.

R.I.P.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 5 weeks later...

On the Industrial Railway Society forum it is reported as follows:

“The funeral of Maurice dart is on Friday 10 May in Truro, at 9am. I do not know the exact location.

It will a very short committal, paid for by the state, and no service.

To commemorate Maurice's life a trip is to be organised on the Bodmin and Wenford Railway, at a later date. I will advise on details in due course.”

When I see more I will post here.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

An update as promised:

A special memorial train in honour of Maurice has been organised to take place on the Bodmin Steam Railway on Saturday 13 July 2024. All who knew Maurice are welcome to attend. Train departs Bodmin General at 1800 probably hauled by one of the 55XX Prairies after Morris Men have danced on the platform. Cream tea or pasty available but must be ordered by 11 July, you can do this by email to Roger Webster: rogerwebster@hotmail.com.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...