DC Kits Whitemetal EM1 Instructions

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Assuming that the photo shows the total number of parts that you have, the side illustration on the printed card gives a useful guide.

- The  sides go together with the cabs at the outer ends.  

- The cab fronts go on the front.

- The three roof parts go on top:  the rightmost roof part in the photo is the central one; the other two are on each end with the sloped edge being the cab end.

The plastic bogies shown in the photo are coach bogies (possibly Lima) and will be of no use as the axle centres won’t match those of the cast white metal bogie sides provided with the kit.

Does your kit come with a chassis or are those the only parts that you have?

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Assuming that the photo shows the total number of parts that you have, the side illustration on the printed card gives a useful guide.

- The  sides go together with the cabs at the outer ends.  

- The cab fronts go on the front.

- The three roof parts go on top:  the rightmost roof part in the photo is the central one; the other two are on each end with the sloped edge being the cab end.

The plastic bogies shown in the photo are coach bogies (possibly Lima) and will be of no use as the axle centres won’t match those of the cast white metal bogie sides provided with the kit.

Does your kit come with a chassis or are those the only parts that you have?

Cheers

Darius

Those are the only parts I have as I think it was designed to use a Hornby Chassis (I think the class 90?) which I don't have. I'll probably have a go at making my own chassis using spare parts or 3d printing

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Emery Hill Station said:

Yes, yes it is.

This is the one I've gotIMG_20240329_130620736-1.jpg.5fa4b6eb48474488570ef2e90c4fd3cf.jpg

I wish you good luck with that as the casting are not very square, but I look forward to seeing the finished model.

Terry.

• Agree 1

I built one of the resin EM1s around 1988. By that time, assembled chassis in brass (and with spoked wheels) were provided but a year or two earlier in a Practical Model Railways article, the recommendation was to use the bogies off a Lima class 52 minus the middle axle. The motor bogie was to be attached to the roof by a  popper stud. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/04/2024 at 12:58, Anadin Dogwalker said:

I built one of the resin EM1s around 1988. By that time, assembled chassis in brass (and with spoked wheels) were provided but a year or two earlier in a Practical Model Railways article, the recommendation was to use the bogies off a Lima class 52 minus the middle axle. The motor bogie was to be attached to the roof by a  popper stud. 

IIRC the Lima Western bogie was used on most if not all the EM1's on Deepcar, and they seemed to run fine!

John.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, Emery Hill Station said:

Finished the bodyshell, now just trying to source a chassis

Messenger_creation_1d11d767-6b11-46c5-a1ef-a6418befeeb1.png

Judith Edge kits do pantograph etches/kits for these, if you were wondering what route to take.

John.