Perth Model Railway Exhibition 29 and 30 June 2024

Waverley47708

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Once again managed to book a holiday at the wrong time !  Back on the Saturday so might make it on Sunday . Not so sure though the line up seems a bit repetitious this year with Mostyn, Blair Atholl, Burntisland , what I  would call the big hitters all been seen before and in the case of Blair Atholl and Burntisland quite recently . Even smaller players Inverboyndie, Gresty Bridge, Allan Bridge  are all pretty familiar in the Scottish Circuit . Don't get me wrong , these are all great layouts , but seen many times before . If the big trains don't have engineering works , might give it a go , failing that will wait for Ayr or the new Dunblane shows

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to Saturday. Bringing my Grandkids so hopefully we'll be able to get parked fairly close by. 

Graeme

We'll be using the park and ride from Broxden. Means I can take the weans to macdogburger before we head back to lanarkshire

Graeme

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jacko said:

We'll be using the park and ride from Broxden. Means I can take the weans to macdogburger before we head back to lanarkshire

Graeme

Last year I arrived at Broxden P+R at around 1230 and it was full, until a car left after a few minutes waiting.  Surely a feature of a P+R carpark is plenty of spaces?  This year I'll park somewhere near the venue and walk, less stressful.

• RMweb Premium
On 14/05/2024 at 17:35, Legend said:

Once again managed to book a holiday at the wrong time !  Back on the Saturday so might make it on Sunday . Not so sure though the line up seems a bit repetitious this year with Mostyn, Blair Atholl, Burntisland , what I  would call the big hitters all been seen before and in the case of Blair Atholl and Burntisland quite recently . Even smaller players Inverboyndie, Gresty Bridge, Allan Bridge  are all pretty familiar in the Scottish Circuit . Don't get me wrong , these are all great layouts , but seen many times before . If the big trains don't have engineering works , might give it a go , failing that will wait for Ayr or the new Dunblane shows

Off the top of my head this is Allanbridge's 7th Scottish show since it was first exhibited in 2014, its first two were as an end to end before we made it a roundy in 2016, it's last outing was Model Rail Scotland in 2018 although we did have it running in the clubroom at our own show a few months later, the only other exhibition it has went to was Stafford in 2018.

Given the current situation with our clubrooms this may be the last time its seen for a while too.

Was really looking forward to this exhibition as it’s a blinder every year. This year….. sadly very poor. It felt more like a trade show with stalls and demos seemingly out numbering the layouts. A lot of toy type ones and, apart from Bair Atholl,  nothing really of note. A lot of empty space and I think a few layouts on the  guide map not there. First in the queue at 09:30 and out by 12:30. Usually I’m double that time. Crowds manic too. Apologies to all those who put the hard work in to this exhibition but, I suspect I’m not in my own in my review. Worth taking a trip to, but nowhere near as good as previous years. 

Edited by awwalker
Added info

By contrast, I thought today’s exhibition was excellent. Yes, a good few traders but tbh I drove over 100 miles to get down to Perth just to have that chance as there are precious few up this way, so pleased to get the chance to spend some of my hard earned. Layouts were a good mix of very large plus a number of inspirational micros, too.  Farbine Road was a stand out, the folk there keeping something moving for the paying public all the while plus being a pleasure to talk with. Also the Bradford club had a smaller layout than planned as their van hire people let them down at the last minute apparently, but the operator had been good enough to put her own layout in her own car and get it to Perth for our enjoyment, rather than leave a gap. Likewise the ‘toy’ trains, for me anyway totally have their place as I watched some very young children being encouraged to operate as well as enjoy the colour and speed. 

Big thank you to the organisers for a very enjoyable exhibition once again. 

Cheers,

’152

• Like 1

I haven't been to the Perth show in a number of years. Some issues with the number of layouts and the variety. The 16mm did take up a lot space as is its nature and Mostyn does nothing for me but at least they've tempered their volume since the last time I heard it. I found a lot of the traders to be pretty interchangeable though I did find a Bachmann 812 brand new hiding behind a stall marker which made my day. Spent a good bit of time getting into Glasgow's labour history/ politics with Brian McCulloch as he stood in on the SLW stand which was nice. 

Edited by 60B

Thoroughly enjoyed the show once we got there. Roadworks at the park and ride meant the buses were running late but i had a nice chat with a chap down from Glamis while we waited. I haven't seen many of the layouts before so nearly everything was fresh. Blair atholl was a standout as was Burntisland but the highlight for me was Craster, a might-have-been from my own homeland. The majority of exhibitors were more than happy to have a chat and though I didn't spend much time looking around the traders I did come home with a pre-owned (but in mint condition) already chipped Webb coal tank that shouldn't look out of place on my S&C layout when it's built. 

Graeme

First time attending show and I have to congratulate the event organisers for a superb show. I had an advanced ticket which allowed me early access. Although it got very busy, you were still able to see the displays and trade stands without any issues. Plenty of space and seats for anyone wishing to rest their feet (and wallets). Looking forward to next year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I went today and thought it was an excellent show, although many of the layouts were ones I'd seen before.  The stars for me were Portchulin, which really captures the Highlands, and Blair Athol, with its mixture of the accurate and impressions of Highland Perthshire.  There were also other mega layouts such as Burntisland and Mostyn, which I can appreciate for the modelling. As somebody who now models in O and Om, I don't expect much of interest from the traders. Although Bachmann were present this year, the show still feels like a large club event as the corporates (media and manufacturers) are absent, compared to other large shows such as those at the SEC and NEC.

Always a good show IMHO and this year was no exception- I’m not sure I can recall a show where virtually every layout was of a really high quality and most seemed to be running well.  Some really beautiful modelling - portchullin, Blair atholl, gresty bridge, Burntisland, mostyn being really standout but others were not far behind!  It was busy in the morning but from around 2pm it eased and was a lot easier to get up close. Some really friendly exhibitors and traders too.  Up there with the best exhibitions in my view.

I went yesterday and thought it was a good show, for me I liked the small French layout (but that’s just me).

Trader wise I brought a few scenic bits and bobs and that was it. Got tempted with a Czech 753 but it had CSD logos so didn’t bother!!!

Thanks,

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Having returned from holiday , I did get to the show and had a very pleasant potter around for a couple of hours . We do seem to have a few layouts that appear regularly on the Scottish circuit though . That was the third time seeing  Blair Atholl in a year, Paisley, Glasgow and Perth and the second time seeing Burntisland this year . Mostyn had bern seen a few times too along with Gresty Bridge and Dalziel North (third time this year also I think) . On the other hand Craster was a pleasant surprise .  So a pleasant couple of hours but not one of the classic shows I think .