Edwinstowe Station... LNER 1930's (ex-LD&ECR, ex-GCR)

gingerangles

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

The Wizard MSE stuff is good, there’s also etched components in the Brassmasters range now available from London Road Models, and Modelu does components too. I’d get a few bits from MSE and try them and get your head around if you’re going to fit them befor or after ballasting. (There’s no set rule)

Edited by PMP
Spellin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PMP said:

The Wizard MSE stuff is good, there’s also etched components in the Brassmasters range now available from London Road Models, and Modelu does components too. I’d get a few bits from MSE and try them and get your head around if you’re going to fit them befor or after ballasting. (There’s no set rule)

Thanks @PMP... I've got some wizard bits ordered, along with some somersault signal parts too 👏

• RMweb Premium

Started to mock the station building up... quite an impressive structure. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it) after redrafting the structure trying out Inkscape I've realised I'd under scaled the structure by about 30% (I'd only had the plan rectangle of the building marked out for construction of the wooden base and platform). Anyway... luckily it'll still more or less fit 😳

WhatsAppImage2024-08-10at16_37.20_4eeac9dc.jpg.472830a3c11ce7e79532793d5e05a560.jpg

WhatsAppImage2024-08-10at16_37.20_eb501399.jpg.35ce4cc7452e5f3f62ba051f47de1d4e.jpg

WhatsAppImage2024-08-10at16_37.23_c500c99f.jpg.81f00e6cc2240d0b98dcef536fd587cb.jpg

WhatsAppImage2024-08-10at16_37.23_85855853.jpg.7e4e2a465652231c2341f45cfd822608.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

So a further look and ponder and I've concluded my mockup is now over scale 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤣

I've what looks like a great drawing on the face of it for the building but I'm now not sure of its dimensional accuracy. I'm also trying to get the brickwork 'correct' which means lengths being a round number of bricks to make drafting easier but this can obviously throw things out over a few hundred bricks. Spent some time redrafting today and much happier... I now won't have 9' high doors 🤣

Also been playing around with point rodding. I've had some chairs from wizard and they are much finer than their wills counterparts... so much so I need to sit them up slightly on the supports I've put in place. This could be a blessing in disguise though as I figured I can probably arrange the chairs, install the wire, paint all whilst the assembly is arranged on a separate piece of plastistrut...

Screenshot_20240811_212108_Gallery.jpg.32fea9d5cb83830d0355965c18375f94.jpg

Screenshot_20240811_212136_Gallery.jpg.5115d5c4482e853b6a167b7764a0f41b.jpg

Screenshot_20240811_212037_Gallery.jpg.d24dfaf361385de8465ff776b2fb43c1.jpg

Edited by gingerangles
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Here we go... interestingly it seems the 1st mock up was too tall but no different in length to mock up 2...

Still not 100% convinced I've got it right.

20240812_201711.jpg.adb91ffc9f4aa40340d49cc8a9b7fa57.jpg

20240812_201723.jpg.773dffc53c1a2eec40ac6d10e2e11a22.jpg

20240812_201026.jpg.30c0b1072f26b154284dd24d3567e554.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, gingerangles said:

Here we go... interestingly it seems the 1st mock up was too tall but no different in length to mock up 2...

Still not 100% convinced I've got it right.

20240812_201711.jpg.adb91ffc9f4aa40340d49cc8a9b7fa57.jpg

20240812_201723.jpg.773dffc53c1a2eec40ac6d10e2e11a22.jpg

20240812_201026.jpg.30c0b1072f26b154284dd24d3567e554.jpg

A good guide would be to assume that normal doors are 6' 6" high.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A good guide would be to assume that normal doors are 6' 6" high.

I think I must have done this originally... but these are particularly high doors (as it turns out)... the brickwork is 3" x 9" and to the top of the door frames (from pics) is 29 courses... meaning about 2.2m.   This is confirmed with measurements of the actual.  I've drawn my bricks, including mortar joint at 1mm x 3mm.  Therefore door height = 29mm x 76 = 2.2m.  But... continued below...

5 hours ago, Orion said:

The Ordnance Survey 25" map will give you a fairly accurate idea of length and width.

I had scaled from 'oldmaps' and google earth at about 124' long for the building.  Scaling the length on to the elevation drawing I had meant I'd under sized everything as above! 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for the input folks!

Doing my brickwork exercise has got me to 123' which I'd say is close enough 😀

The issue is I'd obviously under scaled when planning the location as this is now about 50mm longer on the layout than it was suppose to be.

I think taking the doors as being about 1.8-2m on the drawing I have which led me to under sizing the building by about 10%

I'll keep having a look at it on the layout, get the end elevations mocked up correctly and see how it looks then.  If needs be I could probably take a bricks length out of each bay which would win be the best part of 40mm back.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, gingerangles said:

I think I must have done this originally... but these are particularly high doors (as it turns out)... the brickwork is 3" x 9" and to the top of the door frames (from pics) is 29 courses... meaning about 2.2m.   This is confirmed with measurements of the actual.  I've drawn my bricks, including mortar joint at 1mm x 3mm.  Therefore door height = 29mm x 76 = 2.2m.  But... continued below...

I had scaled from 'oldmaps' and google earth at about 124' long for the building.  Scaling the length on to the elevation drawing I had meant I'd under sized everything as above! 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for the input folks!

Doing my brickwork exercise has got me to 123' which I'd say is close enough 😀

The issue is I'd obviously under scaled when planning the location as this is now about 50mm longer on the layout than it was suppose to be.

I think taking the doors as being about 1.8-2m on the drawing I have which led me to under sizing the building by about 10%

I'll keep having a look at it on the layout, get the end elevations mocked up correctly and see how it looks then.  If needs be I could probably take a bricks length out of each bay which would win be the best part of 40mm back.

I don't think you're far out for height. 6' 6" is just shy of 2m; with the frame as well about 2.1m. It's generally better to make buildings slightly underscale rather than overscale anyway.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Mock up MK III...

20240814_235626.jpg.faf4b48fbf7dbfdf3c07e1f92f951a28.jpg

20240814_235636.jpg.df50f82ff81225fe15c3c473cfd7363d.jpg

20240814_235717.jpg.11129bae620de15b98a477b2da71d69a.jpg

Much happier with the size now, still larger than originally envisaged but it'll squeeze in the available space.

I'll ponder this one for a couple of days and if it's OK I can start work on breaking it down into sections for construction and sort out the interiors.

Edited by gingerangles
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just found and read through this whole thread.

I think this should be held up as a template for how forum threads should be.  Lots of very good ideas and modelling, presented in a helpful manner, respectful comments and discussion.  People, just being kind and helping each other.  Terrific stuff.

Oh and the subject is coming along very nicely indeed; this is sure to be an inspirational layout when complete.

Thanks for sharing and for everyone's contributions.

Best

Scott.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 15/08/2024 at 12:26, scottystitch said:

I've just found and read through this whole thread.

I think this should be held up as a template for how forum threads should be.  Lots of very good ideas and modelling, presented in a helpful manner, respectful comments and discussion.  People, just being kind and helping each other.  Terrific stuff.

Oh and the subject is coming along very nicely indeed; this is sure to be an inspirational layout when complete.

Thanks for sharing and for everyone's contributions.

Best

Scott.

Well thank you very much for the kind words Scott. Much appreciated.

I'd agree, even if I do say so myself, this has to be a useful resource and a 'good' thread and I can say that safely because of how much everyone's contributions have helped me through what I am doing.

I too would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who has contributed, especially those who have really gone out of their way, above and beyond if you like, I really appreciate it! That being said even the smallest hint or tip can be a god send.

This has been by far the most useful resource since I've returned to the hobby it's amazing to be able to come here and post a question or problem and get the solution, advice or something to try.

Hats off to you all, thank you very very much 👏 

PS there are loads more issues to come I'm sure 🤣

Edited by gingerangles
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Revisiting the signal box mockup this evening. Now I've had a play with Inkscape and I'm a bit more confident it may be a better route I thought it best to try something simpler for my 1st attempt proper than the complete station building.

So... redrafted the SB and printed on to card and folded. Took about half an hour... quite impressive .

Ignore the textures (or lack thereof) I'm just building blocks at the mo. Here I've realised that the bottom of the timber upper of the box must sit on a timber 'ring beam' that is the only part that is wider than the brickwork and upper timber. So... revisit to the drawing and adjustment required.20240816_000439.jpg.60909167d8a8244029f7e65807e7574c.jpg

20240816_000513.jpg.fc792e8b055adb53b1e7377744e2eaee.jpg

PS... plastic cement + cutting mat = no more printed pattern on cutting mat 🤦‍♂️

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Well... scanning a stall of books at Loughborough show today... got anything on GNR signalling I said to the owner...

How about this he said...

20240818_202847.jpg.c5ec7f4ea63868b21b73cf912214e006.jpg

I'll take it then I guess 🤣

Reminded me of that Little Britain shop sketch.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gingerangles said:

Well... scanning a stall of books at Loughborough show today... got anything on GNR signalling I said to the owner...

How about this he said...

20240818_202847.jpg.c5ec7f4ea63868b21b73cf912214e006.jpg

I'll take it then I guess 🤣

Reminded me of that Little Britain shop sketch.

Did he have a copy of "Ethel the Aardvark goes Quantity Surveying"?

• Funny 3

Just found and read through your thread, I have found so so much useful info and your thoughts on how to go about such and such are very similar. My layout is based on Welshpool , I’m a bit behind you  but not much. I’m also using bullhead and DCC  concepts cobalt motors, I’m also looking into point ridding and buildings etc etc. thanks

• RMweb Premium
On 19/08/2024 at 09:02, Andy_C said:

Right. I’m now caught up! 

What did you do in the end regarding your catch point?

Good man!  Glad to hear it - I was beginning to wonder where you were! 😂

I've not touched on the CP any further as yet - I caught up with Peco when they were at Rails a few weeks back and they said there were no immediate plans to make one but "it would make sense as it would be the most appropriate range of track to have one for".  They suggested I could make one out of a point... but at the price of bullhead points I dont fancy that much!  They also pointed me in the direction of a Railway Modeller magazine in which someone scratch built one for code 75 bullhead so plan to fish that out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Right folks... Private Owner Wagons...

Gonna need 100's of em... 

Had a quick search on here for some info... I thought there was bound to be a thread or several on here with em in.  Am I missing something?

I understand there were these main varieties... those manufactured by Gloucester, RCH, Wheeler & Gregory and Hurst Nelson.  Would that be fair to say?  

Are there any kit recommendations folks would give?  

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

So... been getting slowly more and more annoyed having to stoop under the baseboards to check / clear a short on the track circuit breaker so decided to do something about it.

I've wired up a cheap amazon illuminated push button switch to the extension terminals on the CB and mounted it on the facia.

17242721427515157548530349640400.jpg.7899e7cbccbee1ddcbddaa2f476ac72c.jpg

Now when there is a short the light flashes and I can press to reset without going under the layout 👌

Edited by gingerangles
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

And a new addition(s) to the fleet...

A slightly inappropriate but very nice J15 and very appropriate (hopefully) Gresley suburban thanks to @PMP

Threw a cheap and dirty Hornby decoder in the loco to get it moving.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, gingerangles said:

Right folks... Private Owner Wagons...

Gonna need 100's of em... 

Had a quick search on here for some info... I thought there was bound to be a thread or several on here with em in.  Am I missing something?

I understand there were these main varieties... those manufactured by Gloucester, RCH, Wheeler & Gregory and Hurst Nelson.  Would that be fair to say?  

RCH weren’t a maker.  The initials RCH stood for Railway Clearing House, which was an organisation that dealt with all sorts of matters that affected all the railway companies.  In this context, they drew up specifications for Private Owner Wagons which the wagon builders followed, to ensure things like wheels, brakes etc were to an acceptable standard and also so that standard components were used so that wagons could be repaired anywhere in the country.

Another big wagon builder was Charles Roberts from Horbury near Wakefield.  I haven’t heard of Wheeler & Gregory before!

I should think you might do well to look at owners whose wagons tended to turn up in your part of the world, by looking at pictures of coal trains.  The bigger owners might well have fleets of wagons built by several different builders.  In the LDECR area I should think they would be mostly either wagons belonging to the local colliery owners, or those belonging to coal merchants who bought coal from mines in the area.  Bearing in mind a lot of the coal traffic went down the GN& GE Joint Line through Lincoln to Whitemoor (March) and from there to London and East Anglia, maybe coal merchants from those areas might be fairly common. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1