Peco CDA wagon availability

Geep7

• RMweb Gold

So i've noticed that the DB Schenker version of the CDA Hopper wagon has finally reached the shops, however, I would prefer the EWS livered version for my era. Are these due back in stock as well, or have I missed the (china clay) boat from Fowey with these and the ECC examples?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Geep7 said:

So i've noticed that the DB Schenker version of the CDA Hopper wagon has finally reached the shops, however, I would prefer the EWS livered version for my era. Are these due back in stock as well, or have I missed the (china clay) boat from Fowey with these and the ECC examples?

Peco said that these will be produced again later in the year. 

• Thanks 1

Yes. As above, Peco have put a video on YouTube about the CDA and they do mention the other liveries. They also make a nice little diorama based on the Fowey line if you have 10 or so minutes free. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, steve1023 said:

Yes. As above, Peco have put a video on YouTube about the CDA and they do mention the other liveries. They also make a nice little diorama based on the Fowey line if you have 10 or so minutes free. 

I have watched that, and a nice little diorama it is too.... I think they had it at the Basingstoke show at the weekend too.....

But I don't think it mentions when the EWS and ECC one's were meant to be arriving.....

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Geep7 said:

I have watched that, and a nice little diorama it is too.... I think they had it at the Basingstoke show at the weekend too.....

But I don't think it mentions when the EWS and ECC one's were meant to be arriving.....

They say they are doing the release in EWS and ECC about 1:20 into the video. 

• 1 month later...

Is the CDA retooled in any way? I’ve heard people say the Peco CDA’s are not the correct length, so not sure if this has been corrected or whether I just wait in the hope that either Cavalex or Accurascale shrink their 00 models down to N gauge!

Don't they say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Whilst we all expect Accurascale to enter N gauge, I would guess Cavalex might be a little reticent with their HAA seeing as they were usurped with the OO HAA and the class 91/Mk4.

If you want to model something now and you can obtain Peco CDAs - why not, you can always sell them if something better comes along, otherwise you might have a long wait.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2024 at 23:42, nickb4141 said:

Is the CDA retooled in any way? I’ve heard people say the Peco CDA’s are not the correct length, so not sure if this has been corrected or whether I just wait in the hope that either Cavalex or Accurascale shrink their 00 models down to N gauge!

First I've heard of the Peco CDA (and presumably the HAA) being the incorrect length. Where's it been said?

Steven B

37 minutes ago, Steven B said:

First I've heard of the Peco CDA (and presumably the HAA) being the incorrect length. Where's it been said?

Steven B

I’m pretty certain it was a comment made on here about the length not being correct and their CDA’s looking ‘odd’ in the eyes of the person who posted it. To be honest, it was the first I’d heard this said, but it did make me wonder? 

I need a lot of these for a future layout project, but I’m still undecided as to whether go for these, or wait and see if Accurascale or Cavalex consider shrinking their excellent HAA families down to N gauge.

I’m surprised neither of them has considered this yet, as the current N gauge varieties are very long in the tooth (the Peco wagons have got to be at least 30 years old,) and a long train of CDA’s or HAA’s etc , would work well in the ‘space saving’ gauge.

23 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Don't they say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Whilst we all expect Accurascale to enter N gauge, I would guess Cavalex might be a little reticent with their HAA seeing as they were usurped with the OO HAA and the class 91/Mk4.

If you want to model something now and you can obtain Peco CDAs - why not, you can always sell them if something better comes along, otherwise you might have a long wait.

I do agree with you. I just wanted to check if the Peco CDA’s were inaccurate or not, as I’ll need 20-30 wagons, so I would probably have to take a big hit to sell them on Ebay, if something better does come along! 

I wonder I’d Accurascale are more likely to go down the TT route than N, but that’s just a hunch, so who knows? Only time will tell!

3 minutes ago, nickb4141 said:

I wonder I’d Accurascale are more likely to go down the TT route than N, but that’s just a hunch, so who knows? Only time will tell!

It's a difficult one, Accurascale were certainly courting us N gaugers last year but so far no sign of anything, and then earlier this month a hint at TT as well.

Then it depends what they propose and the timescales, where might a CDA be in that timescale, I would imagine if they do enter N it will be a 'when' for the CDA as you say the PECO one is quite old but it might be some time before Accurascale release one in N.  Accurascale have so much to choose from they might go with wagons not currently available first, or coaches or even locos, or they might jump straight in with the HAA and it's variants.

With everything model railways, it's always a case of how long is a piece of string.  Would not having CDA wagons spoil your model railway right now - you know if you are modelling a cornish branch with clay trains, or can you wait 1,2,3 or more years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It's a difficult one, Accurascale were certainly courting us N gaugers last year but so far no sign of anything, and then earlier this month a hint at TT as well.

But what is the lead-time for them deciding that N gauge is a go and them announcing something? Probably 18-24 months?

Given their new approach of only announcing when closer to delivery, it may be a case of no news is good news. 

Roy

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nickb4141 said:

I do agree with you. I just wanted to check if the Peco CDA’s were inaccurate or not, as I’ll need 20-30 wagons, so I would probably have to take a big hit to sell them on Ebay, if something better does come along! 

If it looks right to you, then it is right.   Don't take others viewpoints as gospel, have a look at prototype and model pictures then decide for yourself.  Unfortunately there are a lot of people who throw around untruths on forums just to show off.

You could stock up on Peco models and Accurascale or Calalex drop their version straight away, or you don't buy any Peco and neither Accurascale or Cavalex, or anyone else produce any.

Regards reselling, I personally never view anything I buy for my layouts in future value, an item might be worth £10 one day, £25 the next day and £5 the day after.  It depends on who's buying, and when.

• Like 3

Just now, Roy Langridge said:

But what is the lead-time for them deciding that N gauge is a go and them announcing something? Probably 18-24 months?

Given their new approach of only announcing when closer to delivery, it may be a case of no news is good news. 

Roy

It may well be, but the point I was making we just don't know and that makes it hard to make a decision in this case for the OP - It's no good us all going yep Accurascale must surely do a CDA and then the OP waits and waits and Accurascale do nothing or launch a loco, then some coaches, the minerals, HUOs, BYAs etc before getting to the one the OP wants.  It's not a given that the first item out of the N gauge Accurascale box will be a HAA and all it's variants.

Worse I don't think N scale can take the type of typical Accurascale launch, i.e. 19k of class 37s whilst also delivering Mk2 coaches and a whole load of other stuff on the horizon.  Even RevolutioN branched into larger scales and they have found the N scale community not able to fulfil enough to make a class 21/29 viable despite all those class 26/27s sold by Dapol.  The class 321 was also on restricted liveries because some did not cut the mustard with potential buyers.

The one thing in favour of a CDA though is perhaps a lot of the stuff recently in N has been very much of a privatisation era so that would lend itself to a CDA.  With retooled 56s coming some nice Accurascale HAAs would be nice for it to haul, though Farish has just done a load of them which might delay Accurascale doing them unless Farish were getting in before a big launch.

Are N gauge modellers fickle, would we dump lots of Farish HAAs for Accurascale ones - would the difference be enough to do that.  In OO the competition was the aging Hornby HAA with a massive jump in fidelity.  But in N that massive jump is a little more difficult to achieve as there is less detail to show simply because of the size reduction, yes they can be better but can they be that much better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It may well be, but the point I was making we just don't know and that makes it hard to make a decision in this case for the OP - It's no good us all going yep Accurascale must surely do a CDA and then the OP waits and waits and Accurascale do nothing or launch a loco, then some coaches, the minerals, HUOs, BYAs etc before getting to the one the OP wants.  It's not a given that the first item out of the N gauge Accurascale box will be a HAA and all it's variants.

Worse I don't think N scale can take the type of typical Accurascale launch, i.e. 19k of class 37s whilst also delivering Mk2 coaches and a whole load of other stuff on the horizon.  Even RevolutioN branched into larger scales and they have found the N scale community not able to fulfil enough to make a class 21/29 viable despite all those class 26/27s sold by Dapol.  The class 321 was also on restricted liveries because some did not cut the mustard with potential buyers.

The one thing in favour of a CDA though is perhaps a lot of the stuff recently in N has been very much of a privatisation era so that would lend itself to a CDA.  With retooled 56s coming some nice Accurascale HAAs would be nice for it to haul, though Farish has just done a load of them which might delay Accurascale doing them unless Farish were getting in before a big launch.

Are N gauge modellers fickle, would we dump lots of Farish HAAs for Accurascale ones - would the difference be enough to do that.  In OO the competition was the aging Hornby HAA with a massive jump in fidelity.  But in N that massive jump is a little more difficult to achieve as there is less detail to show simply because of the size reduction, yes they can be better but can they be that much better.

A thing that amuses me is folk always jump to Accurascale making items for N, OO, TT etc etc (not singling you out @woodenhead) from my experience Cavalex, Bachmann/Farish and Revolution's items feel overall better quality.  Not denigrating Accurascale in anyway, their products are extremely good, I feel the quality and finish of the others is better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YT-1300 said:

A thing that amuses me is folk always jump to Accurascale making items for N, OO, TT etc etc (not singling you out @woodenhead) from my experience Cavalex, Bachmann/Farish and Revolution's items feel overall better quality.  Not denigrating Accurascale in anyway, their products are extremely good, I feel the quality and finish of the others is better.

I agree Farish, Dapol and Peco make stock that can be handled - I've lost a couple of bits off my Co-Bo, it felt more fragile.

It's really important as items get smaller that they can be picked up - there is less area to hold onto so it all needs to be more stable than you can get away with in OO or O.  From what I can see Hornby get this as well, the TT120 stuff looks designed to be picked up.

Obviously we cannot comment on how Accurascale will approach N gauge, but that robustness would mean less dangly add on bits which then reduces the fidelity a little and more in line with what Farish currently turn out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, YT-1300 said:

But what you consider quality and what I consider quality may be two very different things.

For me, as an example, the Accurascale Class 37 wins over the Bachmann Class 37 easily (no nose seam, sound etc) yet others argue the other way. 

The fact that many default to Accurascale doing things possibly means I am in the majority, but who really knows?

Roy

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

But what you consider quality and what I consider quality may be two very different things.

For me, as an example, the Accurascale Class 37 wins over the Bachmann Class 37 easily (no nose seam, sound etc) yet others argue the other way. 

The fact that many default to Accurascale doing things possibly means I am in the majority, but who really knows?

Roy

All very true, I prefer the Bachmann 37 over the AS one, but overall they are both extremely fine models.  I think the AS 92 is one of the best models out there (along with their A Class), and the best AS model by far.

Moving back to the subject matter, if someone is building a layout where the CDA is a signature model, is it worth holding off in case a better one comes along?

6 minutes ago, YT-1300 said:

Moving back to the subject matter, if someone is building a layout where the CDA is a signature model, is it worth holding off in case a better one comes along?

Let's ask the big boss @McC, would you care to comment?

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Let's ask the big boss @McC, would you care to comment?

With respect, that is not a particularly fair question on a public forum and puts McC in a very difficult position. 

Roy

5 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

With respect, that is not a particularly fair question on a public forum and puts McC in a very difficult position. 

Roy

The only people who know are Accurascale.

I am not putting  @McC  in a difficult position as I expect at worst a very non committal answer because you are correct he cannot answer the question.  I wouldn't call it unfair, he and everyone at Accurascale get bombarded with such requests all the time, at shows and on forums, it's part of the territory with running a successful product company.

But if he cannot answer the question, and he cannot without giving the game away, then how can anyone else comment confidently for the OP that he should either buy Peco CDAs now or wait for a possible but not guaranteed Accurascale model in the future.  That's the point I am making here.

Or we might be in for a revelation 😄

10 hours ago, nickb4141 said:

I’m surprised neither of them has considered this yet, as the current N gauge varieties are very long in the tooth (the Peco wagons have got to be at least 30 years old,) and a long train of CDA’s or HAA’s etc , would work well in the ‘space saving’ gauge.

They were first made in 2006 so rather less than 20 years ago, based on their 2004 HAA.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

They were first made in 2006 so rather less than 20 years ago, based on their 2004 HAA.

The old Minitrix HAA is probably older than 30 years now, but both Farish and Peco churned out the HAA then the CDA. They all happily sit alongside each other with minor differences. Still got to re-wheel my Peco ones with metal wheels, as that is the biggest giveaway.....