T Stock livery

Lee-H

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Lee-H said:

Hi all,

were any of the T-stock ever painted red or were they always brown?

Thanks,

Lee

T stock were always brown as far as I have seen. The closest thing I can think of was seeing a red end on a Dreadnought brake coach once. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

In James. R Snowdon’s book “Metropolitan Railway Rolling Stock”, there is a photograph of a 7-coach train of 1929 T (then MW in Metropolitan parlance) stock in Neasden shed, in what is described as “pristine fully lined crimson livery”.

And on page 128, there are 2 photographs of the 1931 MW stock.  These are said to be painted in “maroon” livery.  They certainly look mighty fine, and certainly better than the faux-teak these steel-panelled coaches probably got later, let alone the drab brown of LT years.

Unfortunately, there is no information in the book as to how long this livery lasted or how widespread it was.  Maybe someone knows?

teeinox

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The colour pictures I've seen of them look brown, but maroon fades to brown after a few years. My GS bus i painted BS maroon, which appears to be a totally different colour when a fresh panel was painted from the same tin of BS maroon paint!

• Thanks 1

The T stock of MW/MV stock as it was originally known as was varnished teak when new. The T stock had a mixture of cars some were steel panelled (the six 1927 MW motors, five 1929 trailers [both types with mouldings] and all the 1931-32 cars which were totally plan) and others were teak. It was the case that all the lower panels were steel (a requirement from the early days of electrification) so the teak was stippled here. There were off course a few ex steam stock coaches converted into T stock.

The later 1931-32 cars were crimson I believe but it that is not clear on the old black and white photos.

I do think that once the LPTB took over many of the Met’s teak cars were painted light brown. This was after some experiments in the late 1930s with alternative liveries on the Steam stock cars which were by all accounts unsuccessful!

The lighter brown gave way in the later 1950s to a darker brown and this included all T stock cars.

• Thanks 1