Hornby (Margate) 20T Brake Van

• RMweb Gold

I acquired this brake van with a group of assorted wagons off eBay - it came along with the wagons I wanted.

IMG_2357.jpeg.5a093a79e011f609818e1aaa83888c81.jpeg

IMG_2358.jpeg.2e70f1c61e94e9b5c925f0489e6b5cd3.jpeg

It has been hanging around the place for a few years now so I decided to improve it in order to get my Mojo back into MTK mode.

I replaced the plastic wheels with metal ones, carved off the chunky tension locks and replaced them with NEM versions and removed the chunky moulded brake gear from the chassis.  A repaint followed with decals added from the spares box.

IMG_2360.jpeg.2fb8c64db330df962d39407231acd9ae.jpeg

IMG_2361.jpeg.27850c487c0930edb1504ed862e1f9bc.jpeg

IMG_2362.jpeg.6018598d7620de796b37ea76c14c586e.jpeg

IMG_2363.jpeg.330d0eb6d6ebc940ca9c3ac0157a8991.jpeg

Not strictly accurate but hopefully better than the original.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I see you've sliced off the oversized lamp, which on most models lit up. Better off without it!

If I remember correctly, that was the old Hornby Dublo body that Hornby Railways used on their standard LWB chassis and fitted the light, in 1974 I believe.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=957

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I did slice off the light, as it was a tad overscale, and filled in the resultant hole.

The moulded box behind presumably contained the bulb but was empty on my example.  I was going to remove the box but needed to remove the roof to get at it.  The roof was well glued in place and I was fearful of breaking it on a removal attempt.  I painted the light box black to make it less noticeable.

The model had plastic tension locks with solid webs connecting them to  the chassis - looks like it dates to 1981 with this feature.

It is really satisfying to restore old models back into service.

Cheers

Darius

2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

The moulded box behind presumably contained the bulb but was empty on my example.

It does on one I've got, but I think they also used the same moulding for a (cheaper?) version without the light and pickups

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, kevinlms said:

If I remember correctly, that was the old Hornby Dublo body that Hornby Railways used on their standard LWB chassis and fitted the light, in 1974 I believe.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=957

Same length as the HD model, but a new tool. The HD LMS brake van used GWR partitions as did their BR brake van.

Hornby 1974

Hornby Dublo circa 1960