The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Favourite pubs thread

JZ

• RMweb Premium

One of my favourite pubs is the Hunters Lodge, Priddy, nr Wells, Somerset, BA5 3AR .

No juke box, bandit, piped musak and please turn your mobile off, as if it rings, you will be asked to leave. Almost unchanged since I first went in there in the mid '70s. The only change I can see is on the sign where one of the initials has been changed to show the licensee is now the son. Food is basic, but very good, nothing on the menu costs more than ??3.80, only the soup of the day costs less. A freehouse with a good range of well kept ales.

sdc11747.jpg

Popular with cavers and walkers, it has no railways connections.

A few of my favourites:

The Charmbury Arms on Brook Road in Oldfield Park, Bath. A favourite of mine during my University days, very much a 'locals' pub so it came as quite a shock that they seemed to tolerate a regular group of students. Maybe it was all the money we gave them. They do a good quiz night on Sundays as well.

The George at Bathampton. Lovely canalside location and excellent food, if perhaps a little bit pricey. Good deals can be had though if you go at the right times. Look out for various subliminal messages regarding olives...

The Rivermill in Eaton Socon, St Neots (Cambridgeshire). One of my locals when i'm back on home territory and sited in a converted 18thC riverside warehouse. Reasonable selection of regional brews and good (but again, quite pricey) food. Best selling point is the location, which on a summer Sunday afternoon is quite unbeatable - it's just a shame about the monstrous apartment block they built nearby a few years ago. :(

No pictures i'm afraid, photography is seldom on my mind when I visit any of these establishments. :) They can easily be found within a click or two on Google images.

• RMweb Premium

A few of my favourites:

The Charmbury Arms on Brook Road in Oldfield Park, Bath. A favourite of mine during my University days, very much a 'locals' pub so it came as quite a shock that they seemed to tolerate a regular group of students. Maybe it was all the money we gave them. They do a good quiz night on Sundays as well.

Charmbury was was of my irregular haunts when I lived in Bath.

Where do I start:

Firstly my Local, The Plough and Harrow, Stourbridge. A good local pub, with excellent Ale.

The Vine (aka The Bull and Bladder), Brierley Hill, Bathams need i say more.

The Blue Peter, Polperro, best pub in the village.

The Anchor, Digbeth, Birmingham, Pre-Match haunt with excellent ales.

The Spyglass Inn, Ventnor, probably the best pub view in the world.

The Cherub in Dartmouth, bundles of character, and excellent beer.

The Waggon and Horses, Halesowen, excellent beer. (I'll be there in 1/2 hour).

The Station, Codsall. Excellent place for a decent pint and watch trains.

The Railwaymans Arms Bridgnorth, again decent ale and trains.

The Philarmonic, Liverpool. Just for the toilets.

Well theres 10 to be going on with.

Cheers.

Too many to choose from in Edinburgh but The Halfway House has to be a front runner. Great atmosphere, home cooking and real ale in a (very) small location. Has even won Camra pub of the year so you have to put up with the ale anoracks tho :)

Second fave is The Guildford, near the east end of Princes St. Very good selection of beers in a edwardian setting.

If I'm in Glasgow, Bierhalle Republic has a whole menu of beers, n good stonebaked pizza.

Archived