Warley at Statfold 12th & 13th October 2024

Chris M

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

I’m talking about the bigger shows. Many traders are not in the fortunate position to attend multiple shows on the same day, the argument to lost income would be negated as traders would have a bigger calendar to attend the bigger shows so clubs would earn more, and even more footfall as we wouldn’t need to decide which show to attend

But to a certain extent, traders' decisions as to which shows to attend will  be one of a number of factors in the process of natural selection as to which shows thrive.

I do think, though, that given such factors as venue availability, seeking any degree of co-ordination among the organisers of even the larger shows is optimistic.

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, TomJ said:

There were definitely a few layout gremlins early on the Saturday morning. Mostly resolved when I went back later. I think it was unfortunate that they mostly seemed to be on one cluster of layouts in one corner which rather gave a bad first impression  

There were indeed Gremlins! A "Tale of Woe":

Clayton End Signalman was all checked before departure, but a (pivotal) main board DCC bus supply remained problematic for far too long.  The issue was eventually resolved, fortunately with the intervention of a (military) aircraft 'electrical engineer', who was visiting the show. However, we did keep sections of the layout moving in the meantime (thanks to 2nd operator wife Susan!).

A chocolate block DCC feed connection 'appears' to have been disturbed en-route. Just before arrival at Statfold the car and trailer hit a sunken road grid , causing a thud (trailer has no suspension).  The following day, the road was traffic light controlled to avoid the section.

Thanks must go to engineer Carl for his marvellous contribution and suggestions.  Thanks to Sue for maintaning some activity and explaining to visitors.

After some 80+ exhibitions: a lesson: expect anything to go awry and duplicate yer power feeds!

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Neither show seems to be complaining about numbers, traders have good and bad weekends, some moaned at Stafford too which didn’t clash with anything else big. 
People have even said GETS was less rammed, and consequently more pleasant, than last years queues and capacity issues so it seems to have worked ok for the majority. 
Statfold has the bonus of the Narrow Gauge Trust exhibits and rides and it’s the first of the new smaller shows done at relatively short notice so no doubt they’ve noted what worked too as they are enthusiasts like the rest of us. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1