Warley at Statfold 12th & 13th October 2024

Chris M

I was a little bit disappointed with this show, as a first show at a new venue I think Warley seemed to have been conservative with inviting layouts that were (mostly) local to keep costs down, but what the show lacked for me was some really standout layouts. Farnham (I visited on the Saturday) had a much better choice of high quality layouts. I'd actually already made the decision not to go to Statfold because I felt it was too far from SW London, but then someone else offered to drive, and with a 4 way split of the fuel it was a much more economic choice than driving to GETS on my own, and because I love Statfold's collection.

Statfold (as ever) was great. The size of the site allowed quite a lot of people to be absorbed, without the exhibition being overcrowded I(when I visited on Sunday), however would that be true if it was pouring down with rain?

I don't think I'd go back for the Warley show specifically, however if it happened to coincide with a nice weekend I'd visit Statfold and wander round the Warley show whilst I was there.

Jon

Edited by jonhall
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

It was definitely a very different show from the NEC but non the worse for that! I agree there was no ‘Copenhagen Fields’ or ‘South Pelaw Junction’ - it was more akin to a local show.
But it’s USP and what made it worth travelling was the venue and link up with Statfold Barn. As a result it wasn’t like any other show I’ve been to!

Would I have travelled two hours for the same layouts in a sports hall? Possibly not. Would I have travelled that far for Statfold? Well I would now!!! Put the two together - hell yes! Have already put next year in our family calendar!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I completely agree with the above.  It was a toss up between Warley and GETS (I'd been to the Bluebell on Friday) and Warley won.

As always, Statfold and the organisation was superb.  It was my first visit there since 2020 and I was amazed how much it had changed even by Stafold standards.  With the completely different parking and entrance arrangements it took time to get my bearings!

But the layouts were a huge disappointment with - for me and I know we all have different tastes/standards - there were none that had the wow factor that held my attention for more than a few minutes.  Personally, I thought the quality of layouts was below par compared to those I've seen at other much smaller shows over the last year.  It seemed that on many nothing was moving for long periods whilst the operators chatted amongst themselves and on those where something was moving then there was too much intervention from the giant hand in the sky to shift a stalled loco or derailment.

TBH I found myself looking more at the 12"=1' trains than the show which is something for someone not usually too interested in narrow gauage.

It looks like next year will be a clash of dates with GETS.  The cost of parking at MK balances the additional petrol cost of getting to Statfold so it will depend a lot on what's on offer to determine which I go to.

Edited by Mike_Walker
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

I live around thirty miles from Statfold but had never been there before. As it happens my other half had reason to be in Tamworth on Sunday in connection with her hobby so it worked out very well that she could do her thing and I could do mine. First impressions are important and I was impressed with the efficiency and politeness of the parking  supervisors who made it all very easy. I was there quite early so no ticket queue and I was straight in. So far so good. I enjoyed entering the roundhouse, a cornucopia of little engines, all very interesting and I spent a while in there. Modelling-wise there wasn't much to see in that area. I made my way around the various halls and it was certainly getting busier as I did so. Refreshments were quick and efficient if a tad pricey but not as extortionate as the awful NEC. I did a quick wander around to see what might grab my attention before a second, slower walk around. There were one or two layouts that I liked but on some others there was very little happening and as another post mentioned too many exhibitors talking to their mates while nothing moved. Gremlins seem to have got into the halls overnight too and a few layouts appeared to be struggling. Must admit I've never built a show layout, although I was occasionally involved with a large well-known P4 one way back. Huge efforts were made to check and test every aspect of that layout before the few shows it went to and as a consequence there were no hiccups. These days my interest is "O" Gauge and it was good to see the Guild's layout "Weekend Yard" was running, as well as a couple of other 7mm layouts. The 4mm stuff seemed to be pretty bog-standard but I did like the Trebarwith 2mm Cornish layout.

I must say that although there were quite a few traders I spent very little, so many of them seemed to have similar stocks. The limited amount of  "O" Gauge stuff on offer was more expensive than identical items I bought cheaper recently. I even saw a couple of secondhand items that were way more expensive than equivalent new models. On the other hand I accept that a trader has bills to pay and has to make a profit so they price themselves accordingly, but there was little temptation to make an impulse purchase. Traders certainly need to up their game on presentation and pricing. I bought a few bits from Squires and a small kit from LCut Creative but that was it. 

In summary, would I go back to the next "Warley at Statfold" ? Yes, probably. The ease of parking, availability of toilets and refreshments was a vast improvement on the NEC and the freedom to move around without constant aggro from backpacks was very welcome and goes on the positive side of the list. There were negatives, for me at least, but this is a first show at the venue and I'm sure lessons will be taken from it both by organisers and hopefully exhibitors. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

There were definitely a few layout gremlins early on the Saturday morning. Mostly resolved when I went back later. I think it was unfortunate that they mostly seemed to be on one cluster of layouts in one corner which rather gave a bad first impression  

As one of the organisers of our new Warley at Statfold event, our objective was to produce a different type of show to our previous NEC shows, I believe we achieved what we wanted at the new venue, it was never going to be a mini NEC show, mainly the footprint of the halls was much smaller than the NEC, plus they don’t have 5 narrow gauge locos in steam giving free train rides at the NEC, all included in the admission price.

We aimed for a family friendly show, we even had people leaving the ground just to have a ride on the heritage buses back and forth to Tamworth, again free of charge.

Attendance was good, so please put the 11th & 12th October 2025 in your diaries which should be again a great weekend at Warley at Statfold, I know there will be further attraction within the site next year, so there should be something new to see.

• Like 13

Sorry in advance for a rather rambling post, but my toddler and I had such a great time I want to try to include everything that we enjoyed about it!

Thank you to the Warley club and Statfold volunteers. My son and I had a wonderful time. I am not a model railway show regular by any means but this was far an away my favourite event I have attended. Of course, I was after different things trying to entertain a toddler, but it ticked all the boxes. There was so much variety across the site, some part of the exhibition and some not, but it all made for great entertainment. I'd have been quite content with half the number of exhibits! I'm not convinced we saw everything there was to see.

I learnt throughout the day that what my son was enjoying the most, was layouts with trains moving. It was lovely that the operators of these great layouts ensured that a Thomas was available as soon as the toddler walked past. I've seen a bit of criticism on this forum of layouts that allow even a little bit of 'anything goes', each to their own, but I wholeheartedly disagree, especially after this experience.

We spent a lot of time at Cwm Bach, and the chaps operating were so friendly and kind, even letting us have a short go at driving. There was a brilliant N gauge quarry layout and a Swiss layout nearby that also provided a lot of interest in a small space, with constant action. The TT layout in the roundhouse was also hugely exciting to a two and a half year old (and his father!), and the chap at the adjacent/accompanying sales stand was also very kind, giving my son a Railway Series book for free, just because!

The chaps at Bachmann and Peco were cheerful and approachable. Trade support was great. With none of the biggest retailers there, it wasn't just exclusives and stuff that's not selling well - there were so many gems to be found. I picked up a brand new BR black Bachmann C class for £106 and the LBSCR H1 for £165. Good prices for products that I had given up hope of buying.

I would perhaps have 'consumed' the show differently if I'd have been there on my own. There were some bits and pieces of advice I would have liked to have asked, particularly regarding specific loco repairs that I need to do, and I feel like there were opportunities to ask them.

If Warley continues at Statfold, I'm sure we'll be back, and we'll bring friends next time!

Thanks again to the organisers.

• Like 6

I was in two minds if to attend this show, unfortunately GETS won the day. After travelling to Stafford a couple of weeks ago another long drive was not a pleasant thought. One of the deciding factors was traders, GETS just tipped the balance for me. It does make me wonder why shows compete with the same dates, there were 3 big ones on. As one trader commented to me at Gets “ I can’t be in two places at the same time”.

Edited by Andymsa

52 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

I was in two minds if to attend this show, unfortunately GETS won the day. After travelling to Stafford a couple of weeks ago another long drive was not a pleasant thought. One of the deciding factors was traders, GETS just tipped the balance for me. It does make me wonder why shows compete with the same dates, there were 3 big ones on. As one trader commented to me at Gets “ I can’t be in two places at the same time”.

Squires had big stands at both Statfold and Farnham!

I did wonder if the choice of dates was deliberate for Warley, if everyone who usually came to the NEC decided to go to Stafold it would have been chaos (although Warley club were clear there would be an upper ticket limit, which I assume wasn't hit).

Jon

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

It does make me wonder why shows compete with the same dates, there were 3 big ones on. 

There are only 52 weekends in a year, of which maybe 46 are viable for exhibitions, if one takes out August and the Christmas / new Year period. One show per weekend would be rather restrictive and impact the income of those clubs that lost out in the selection process - and how would you manage that?

1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

As one trader commented to me at Gets “ I can’t be in two places at the same time”.

29 minutes ago, jonhall said:

Squires had big stands at both Statfold and Farnham!

The Midland Railway Society had stands at Statfold and GETS! At Statfold, we got more new members, but at GETS, we sold more publications. Whether that says anything about the clientele of the two events...

A shame, though, to have missed the Farnham show.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, jonhall said:

did wonder if the choice of dates was deliberate for Warley

They said before it was a case of a weekend that was available for an event as the site is open as a country park most weekends. 

My only regret is that it wasn’t on 5yrs ago!!! I think my son would have flipped his lid when he was an 8yr old!! Trains, models, playgrounds - he would have been in his element. And a lot less stressful than shepherding him through the NEC

Sadly he is now a sulky teenager and whilst he still likes trains he wouldn’t be seen dead with me!!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

I learnt throughout the day that what my son was enjoying the most, was layouts with trains moving. It was lovely that the operators of these great layouts ensured that a Thomas was available as soon as the toddler walked past. I've seen a bit of criticism on this forum of layouts that allow even a little bit of 'anything goes', each to their own, but I wholeheartedly disagree, especially after this experience.

We visited Statfold for the first time earlier this year and likewise to yourself my toddler was absorbed by the roundhouse as well as so many other elements including the push button motion upstairs and the working signal arms which we'd not noticed before so whilst we'd been and seen it before he's overwhelmed and taken back every time we visit. 

There was also a kind layout operator (apologies I've forgot the name) who also allowed him to press the button on the controller to activate the horn which he gave a big round of applause to. And fully agree with you regarding Island of Sodor Number 1 - like it or not children are the future of the hobby and at some point the 'bug' started in all of us so a little encouragement in any form should never be discouraged! 

Thank you to the posters who've said they were involved with the set up on the day. I really hope it proves to be both a commercial and logistical success for both Statfold and Warley and look forward to Part 2 next year! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

There are only 52 weekends in a year, of which maybe 46 are viable for exhibitions, if one takes out August and the Christmas / new Year period. One show per weekend would be rather restrictive and impact the income of those clubs that lost out in the selection process - and how would you manage that?

The Midland Railway Society had stands at Statfold and GETS! At Statfold, we got more new members, but at GETS, we sold more publications. Whether that says anything about the clientele of the two events...

A shame, though, to have missed the Farnham show.

it would be mathematically impossible for every show to be spread over the year, I’m talking about the bigger shows. Many traders are not in the fortunate position to attend multiple shows on the same day, the argument to lost income would be negated as traders would have a bigger calendar to attend the bigger shows so clubs would earn more, and even more footfall as we wouldn’t need to decide which show to attend