DEMU Showcase Sutton Coldfield June 15/16 2024

newbryford

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

DEMU Showcase 2024 will be at Sutton Coldfield Town Hall on June 15/16th.  

Owing to various reasons there have been some changes to the layouts appearing from the earlier list posted here.

Layouts

Alderford......................................WCML 1985-1990, 00 Gauge

Blueball Summit.........................1970s West Country, N Gauge

Deadmans Lane..........................Derby RTC, 00 Gauge

Farbine Road W.R.D.....................Wagon Repair Depot West Midlands, 00 Gauge

Fenwick TMD...............................TMD and Engineers Yard, 00 Gauge

Gordon's Lane...............................Southern Region Main Line, 00 Gauge

Horncastle.................................Eastern Region  1980s, 00 Gauge

Knype Bridge................................Parcels depot. 70's early 80's, 0 Gauge

Reading Signal Works..................1980s, 00 gauge

Templegate Wagon Works..........Wagon Works, 0 Gauge

Trodinnick Dries.............................China Clay Dries. 1960-1970, 00 Gauge

Waddon Marsh...........................South London Branch, 00 Gauge

Wormhill.....................................Peak Forest 1997, N Gauge

Confirmed trade stands

Accurascale

Bachmann Europe

Booklaw / Santona Publishing

Cambrian Models

Cavalex Models

Coastal DCC

C Rail

DC kits

Javmar Models and Art

Kernow Model Rail Centre

Rainbow Railways

Realtrack Models

Replica Railways

Revolution Trains

Road Transport Images

S-Kits

Shawplan / Extreme Etchings

Squires Tools

TTC Diecast

West Hill Wagon Works

Societies

Class 60 Preservation Group

N Gauge Society

Scalefour Society

The Railway Correspondence and Travel Society

Demonstrations

CAD for 3D Printing
Carl White shows you how to use CAD software to design stock for 3D printing.

SR EMU Modelling
Danny Havlik shows how he has constructed some of his fantastic 4mm EMUs.

Modelling Structures in N/2mm Scale
Grahame Hedges shows you how he makes his wonderful 2mm buildings from the London Bridge Area.

Styrene Modelling
Jon Hall demonstrates the use of his Portrait cutter for cutting styrene sheet

Opening Times

Saturday 15th June 2024 10.00 - 17.00
Sunday 16th June 2024 10.00 - 16.00

Sutton Coldfield Town Hall, Upper Clifton Rd, Sutton Coldfield, B73 6DA

Tickets

Adults £12

DEMU members / children (U16) £8

Families (2 adults and unlimited children) £28

Transport

The town hall is less than 5 minute walk from Sutton Coldfield Railway Station.

Nearest car park is opposite in Anchorage Road. There are others around the station only a few minutes walk.

Entry by cash or card or either? It's helpful to say these days.

David

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, ELTEL said:

Unfortunately going to miss this year I think probably for the first time.

Hope it all goes well, and hopefully plenty of photos on RMWEB

Terry / Eltel 

You'll need a doctors note!

Mike.

Still trying to work out if I can get to this. I went in 2022 and it was a terrific show; but this year, the Saturday is out because it's my birthday and I'll be spending it with the Divine Mrs M, and the trains on the Sunday aren't great.

I'm mulling over whether I want to drive that far (100 miles+ each way) for a model railway show, even one of this quality.

Jim

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

Still trying to work out if I can get to this. I went in 2022 and it was a terrific show; but this year, the Saturday is out because it's my birthday and I'll be spending it with the Divine Mrs M, and the trains on the Sunday aren't great.

I'm mulling over whether I want to drive that far (100 miles+ each way) for a model railway show, even one of this quality.

Jim

Take the Divine Mrs M by train on the Saturday?  07.33 from Liverpool Lime St. to Birmingham New St., arr. 09.20.  09.36 from New St., arr. Sutton Coldfield 09.56.  This is from the National Rail web-site, but I hope it helps.  If it is not raining, there are some nice street-food stalls in the town centre for lunch about ten mins. walk away.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Only a week to go until the UK’s premier Diesel and Electric model railway show will be in full swing.

On a side note unfortunately due to personal circumstances Ravenscroft is unable to attend, but we have an additional micro layout in its place.

Many thanks to Alan Monk stepping in at the last minute and bring one of his layouts……….Reading Signal Works.

IMG_0283.jpeg

• Like 3

On 15/02/2024 at 23:33, Nobby (John) said:

“ modern image “ modellers.

I find it amusing we still use this. Its been 56 years since the abolition of steam. When I was little 66 years would have included the whole of the big four and the whole of the BR steam era. The end of BR was almost 30 years ago now. May be " modern image " should be retired and something else used.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Nobby (John) said:

Now let’s use this years flyer info and not last years , nobody spotted my deliberate mistake 🫣

IMG_3354.png

Most of us were kind and made allowances for senility John, welcome to my world 😁.

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Cyberspice said:

I find it amusing we still use this. Its been 56 years since the abolition of steam. When I was little 66 years would have included the whole of the big four and the whole of the BR steam era. The end of BR was almost 30 years ago now. May be " modern image " should be retired and something else used.

I agree. I think that 'Diesel and Electric Era' covers it pretty well from the late 1950s to the present day.* Cyril Freezer coined the 'modern image' expression in 1964 so it really is well past its sell-by date.

David

* To the pearl-clutching of some D&E modellers this may include an element of steam but, hey, that's life . . .

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/06/2024 at 18:18, Cyberspice said:

With my DEMU Acting Chair hat on, "modern image" is often used in a light hearted way. Our modelling is diesel and electric based traction.

With my "Clive the modeller" hat on, I do model the modern image. As often stated Cyril Freezer coined the phase "Modern Image". In conversation with me he told he cannot remember who first said it in an editorial meeting but by the end of it that was the terminology they were going to use for an edition of the Railway Modeller reflecting the then changes happening to our railways. With both my layouts, Pig Lane and Hanging Hill, Mr Freezer did say that they were the real modern image as they were 1960s based layouts. 

I do fully agree with the term "Modern Image" being used to cover all aspects of Diesel and Electric modelling as being very much out of date and should not be used.

Anyhow less than a week to go.

flyer v2.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DavidLong said:

I agree. I think that 'Diesel and Electric Era' covers it pretty well from the late 1950s to the present day.* Cyril Freezer coined the 'modern image' expression in 1964 so it really is well past its sell-by date.

David

* To the pearl-clutching of some D&E modellers this may include an element of steam but, hey, that's life . . .

Now who would be daft enough to do that.

a012.jpg.aa07eb228e1fdcef35b5b2a5358d2216.jpg

A pair of BRCW 4 car units entering Sheffield  Exchange. One day it will be finished.

• Like 4

On 08/06/2024 at 12:16, C126 said:

Take the Divine Mrs M by train on the Saturday?  07.33 from Liverpool Lime St. to Birmingham New St., arr. 09.20.  09.36 from New St., arr. Sutton Coldfield 09.56.  This is from the National Rail web-site, but I hope it helps.  If it is not raining, there are some nice street-food stalls in the town centre for lunch about ten mins. walk away.

An imaginative and innovative approach. Unfortunately, stuff has been arranged in Liverpool. 

I mean, when I say "unfortunately", it's not actually unfortunate. You know...

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 1

Unfortunately I ca t make it now, health issues mean I've saved about at least £160 so maybe that will go towards another cl37 sound chip ?

Thus I'm having to hope for a good supply of video and pics from those lucky enough to be nearer than I

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Travelling by rail to Sutton Coldfield ? ATM the Cross City line from New Street to Lichfield is closed until further notice due to a signalling failure at Aston so check the status before you book tickets. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Travelling by rail to Sutton Coldfield ? ATM the Cross City line from New Street to Lichfield is closed until further notice due to a signalling failure at Aston so check the status before you book tickets. 

All clear again now, as from 11.05 per National Rail website:

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service-disruptions/lichfield-city-20240611/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

All day parking for the show on Saturday.

https://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/locations/railway_road_d926gcqen3nqs8r0hb/?country=uk&arriving=202406151000&leaving=202406151700

Alter the times as necessary.

Although I believe the station car park is for rail users only.

£3 for a single to Wylde green or Four Oaks makes it £4.30 total (less if you have a Railcard!)

Sunday parking:

https://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/locations/railway_road_da41gcqen3nqs8r8bh/?country=uk&arriving=202406161000&leaving=202406161600

• Informative/Useful 2

Looking forward to the show this weekend! First went in 2022 as a punter and it was quite the show! Will be there as part of the Gordons Lane team this time round! 

Nathan...

• Agree 1