Peterborough North

great northern

One quick image again. We are off to Yarmouth. It is 1.15pm. We'll be there by 5.30. If we're lucky.

attachicon.gif5 off to Yarmouth.JPG

Fish and chips when we get there, no doubt.

I rather like the Gresley Gilbert,what make is it please?

It is 1.15pm. We'll be there by 5.30. If we're lucky, as it's 1958. However according to the Doctor if it was 2018 we could fly from Luton to Zurich and back quicker even with Ryanair or Easyjet.

Lets face it WHO is going to argue with the Doctor , now that Keith Moon is dead.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A lovely day, on which everything has gone right. :sungum: A long day though, and so shortly to bed. We do have a slightly different look at the departing Yarmouth.

attachicon.gif6 off to Yarmouth 2.JPG

and then the arrival of the 9.47am Up Newcastle. I've mentioned before that it had a different formation for almost every day of the week. On assessing present available loose stock, a temporary warping of the space/time continuum had to take place, so Friday has become Tuesday for a few minutes. Here comes Doncaster, which is having a busy day.

attachicon.gif7 48 1.JPG

Nice photo as always Gilbert. I’m intrigued by the mix of BR and LNER lamps on Doncaster’s front. Was this common practice as it’s not something I’ve noticed before? Or was it just what came to hand in the fiddle yard?!

• RMweb Premium

Today's big wish is nothing to do with trains. After numerous gettings out of bed last night, it is that the new NHS treatment for benign prostate is available soon. Not  nice when one is tired out to start with.

Here is another view of the approaching A3. I'm constantly trying to find ways of avoiding some of the shopping difficulties which occur when looking towards Spital Bridge, and this, and the previous shot, do that. They also entail neck craning, and my neck doesn't like that. Oh, the joys of advancing age.

attachicon.gif8 48 2.JPG

glimpsed through an arch, we can also see the lovely front end of a single chimney A3.

attachicon.gif9 48 arch.JPG

I am asking if I can have Tornado steam for my BPE treatment.........................no lamps required.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice photo as always Gilbert. I’m intrigued by the mix of BR and LNER lamps on Doncaster’s front. Was this common practice as it’s not something I’ve noticed before? Or was it just what came to hand in the fiddle yard?!

It was a case of what came to hand on this occasion, as one of the matching pair 60048 had went missing somehow while it was sitting in its loco lift. From what I've seen in photos though, it wasn't an unusual happening. From what old railwaymen say, it appears that things often went missing while locos were on shed, and that whatever first came to notice would be used as replacements. So long as the correct lamps were displayed, the signalmen would be happy, I should think.

• RMweb Premium

Running session on hold, as the battery went flat. Not mine, though it isn't far off, but the one in the tablet which displays the sequence. That allowed me to look at the copy of Hornby magazine I finally got hold of this morning. Nearly OK, though they've changed a couple of things that now don't make sense, but they've used some images from their earlier photoshoot, and so the desert has reappeared. it looks ****** awful. However did I put up with it for so long?

• RMweb Premium

Running session on hold, as the battery went flat. Not mine, though it isn't far off, but the one in the tablet which displays the sequence. That allowed me to look at the copy of Hornby magazine I finally got hold of this morning. Nearly OK, though they've changed a couple of things that now don't make sense, but they've used some images from their earlier photoshoot, and so the desert has reappeared. it looks ****** awful. However did I put up with it for so long?

I'd just like to say Gllbert that I've found this article (and others by you on a similar topic) extremely useful in planning my retirement project.

My garden building is on order and perhaps when the base goes down, so I believe it's really happening, I'll start a thread!

• RMweb Premium

I rather like the Gresley Gilbert,what make is it please?

It is 1.15pm. We'll be there by 5.30. If we're lucky, as it's 1958. However according to the Doctor if it was 2018 we could fly from Luton to Zurich and back quicker even with Ryanair or Easyjet.

Lets face it WHO is going to argue with the Doctor , now that Keith Moon is dead.

Sorry Derek, I missed this. The Gresley has MJT sides, and all the rest is down to Messrs Willets and Studley.

• RMweb Premium

I'd just like to say Gllbert that I've found this article (and others by you on a similar topic) extremely useful in planning my retirement project.

My garden building is on order and perhaps when the base goes down, so I believe it's really happening, I'll start a thread!

Glad to be of help Trevor. Good luck with your project, and if there is anything else you would like to discuss, just let me know. There's quite a bit of detail that didn't get into the article.

Sorry Derek, I missed this. The Gresley has MJT sides, and all the rest is down to Messrs Willets and Studley.

Gilbert,

thank you for your response. I know we are not comparing things of equal value to be fair to Hornby,however the difference is like a Rolls Royce car as opposed to a bike.

Why on earth did Hornby make such a pig's ear of their Gresley's when Simon H was still on board?

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

thank you for your response. I know we are not comparing things of equal value to be fair to Hornby,however the difference is like a Rolls Royce car as opposed to a bike.

Why on earth did Hornby make such a pig's ear of their Gresley's when Simon H was still on board?

Regards,Derek.

I'm wondering if they just appeared too early Derek. 2003 wasn't it? That was very early in the transformation of Hornby, and perhaps at a time when there was reluctance to throw too much money at things, coaching stock in particular. I believe that tooling constraints had a lot to do with the lack of tumblehome. The cost of the teak process was high too, as I recall.  I suspect that it could have been done even then, but at a price that Hornby felt the average punter would not have been prepared to pay. Given the screams about the cost of the latest Bachmann Thompsons, things haven't changed much in the meantime.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm wondering if they just appeared too early Derek. 2003 wasn't it? That was very early in the transformation of Hornby, and perhaps at a time when there was reluctance to throw too much money at things, coaching stock in particular. I believe that tooling constraints had a lot to do with the lack of tumblehome. The cost of the teak process was high too, as I recall.  I suspect that it could have been done even then, but at a price that Hornby felt the average punter would not have been prepared to pay. Given the screams about the cost of the latest Bachmann Thompsons, things haven't changed much in the meantime.

A few years later, Hornby were able to do an excellent job with the Gresley (and Thompson) non-gangwayed stock.

I'm wondering if they just appeared too early Derek. 2003 wasn't it? That was very early in the transformation of Hornby, and perhaps at a time when there was reluctance to throw too much money at things, coaching stock in particular. I believe that tooling constraints had a lot to do with the lack of tumblehome. The cost of the teak process was high too, as I recall. I suspect that it could have been done even then, but at a price that Hornby felt the average punter would not have been prepared to pay. Given the screams about the cost of the latest Bachmann Thompsons, things haven't changed much in the meantime.

Unfortunately where as punters will pay for locos - Its a very loco centric hobby. I don't believe they've the thompsons -sold well. Maroon versions like maroon portholes could take years to appear. Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium

A few years later, Hornby were able to do an excellent job with the Gresley (and Thompson) non-gangwayed stock.

But only after I'd acquired my lovely kit built Thompsons. Lesson learned by Hornby, but too late alas to help with the corridor stock.

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately where as punters will pay for locos - Its a very loco centric hobby. I don't believe they've the thompsons -sold well. Maroon versions like maroon pottholes could take years to appear.

It would be nice to know how well they have sold, but I don't suppose Bachmann will tell us, unless the answer is shedloads, of course.

I like the idea of maroon potholes though. They would brighten things up no end, and be easier to avoid as well. Sorry David. :mosking:

It would be nice to know how well they have sold, but I don't suppose Bachmann will tell us, unless the answer is shedloads, of course.

I like the idea of maroon potholes though. They would brighten things up no end, and be easier to avoid as well. Sorry David. :mosking:

Oops spelling corrected.... Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium

Not to mention the excellent Maunsells, from 2007.

And not to mention also several other pre-BR coaching stock ranges introduced subsequently; but I was rather intending to flag up the contrasts between the Gresley non gangwayed and gangwayed models - the former excellent and the latter flawed whereas the prototypes of both were very similar.