Peterborough North

great northern

Flying North now, and we get a fairly wide view towards Spital Bridge.

attachicon.gif14 high north end.JPG

Not bad really, considering that the original plan would have seen only the water tank, coaling stage and one building in this picture.

Another quick turn shows Walter K slowing for its stop, and a very nice jumble of roof lines.

attachicon.gif15 high walter again.JPG

Hi Gilbert

Is that last photo a new angle, as you said it gives a nice rooftop view showing the different roof constructions, great photo.

Also a great locomotive as well, A4 60028 was the very first LNER Pacific I saw, it was at Finsbury Park Station in 1962 rushing North on an express.

I know it was used on the Elizabethan so I really should add it to the Haymarket stock, just a little bit of modelling nostalgia for me.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Is that last photo a new angle, as you said it gives a nice rooftop view showing the different roof constructions, great photo.

Also a great locomotive as well, A4 60028 was the very first LNER Pacific I saw, it was at Finsbury Park Station in 1962 rushing North on an express.

I know it was used on the Elizabethan so I really should add it to the Haymarket stock, just a little bit of modelling nostalgia for me.

Regards

David

It's a slightly different angle David, but mainly a bit higher. Be careful what you wish for. Most KX engines were used on the Elizabethan at some time. I know this because I've had the same thought process in reverse.

• RMweb Premium

Still circling above PN, but we're running out of our allotted time now.

The camera has panned round a little more to get this, After which the pilot has done another U turn, and we get to see Walter one more time, plus a rather crowded old engine yard.

Now I must fill up my pond, after which I may run trains, though I said that on Wednesday, and didn't.

Hi Gilbert

I believe that some one has already mentioned that the series of aerial shots certainly show just how good your Peterborough North Layout is with its many building and structures, you get an idea of just how big the layout actually is.

Great photos.

Regards

David

Digressing, but not too far; I was in the Mayor’s Walk/Midland Road area today (the area generally W of the railway, between the two bridges - just “offstage” from PN) and was suddenly struck by the differences in house construction from one street to the next. This is one of the few areas of Peterborough still much as it was built, and there is an obvious graduation. Houses in Midland Road are, generally, that bit more “upmarket” than in Mayors Walk - quarry tile floors, wooden portico porches etc - but not large; for the lower to mid-middle class, if you like, rather than the workmens terrraces of the Peacock Bridge / Silver St area.

Aldermans Drive, next across from Midland Road and on the verge of open country when built, is generally that bit more upmarket..post-10066-0-16900000-1534716502_thumb.jpeg

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Premium

Gilbet,

The photograph series taken by the flying cameraman highlight the expanse of the layout not only in length but in width. The buildings are even more impressive when viewed from the higher level and coupled with the recent weathering shades added to the ballast have transformed the overall scene completely.

Add in to that the locos and stock which blend seamlessly in and it completely captures the station atmosphere of these days.

I wonder if these are early Brian Monaghan photographs before he worked for the Railway Modeller?

Eric

• Like 1

I was going to say that instead of a biplane, the photographer was using a hot air balloon. However, these didn't rally take off (get it?) in popularity until the late '60s. However... not to far away in Cambs, Ken Wallis was based. He was born in Ely, with a lifelong passion for the atuogyro (including being in 007 movies) and a distinguished flying career as well. There is the family garage/car dealership in Barton still. I remember buying a Rover 827 from them; when we went into the office to do the paperwork, the walls were adorned with autogyro memorabilia. I reckon Ken offered our photographer a lift......

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I was going to say that instead of a biplane, the photographer was using a hot air balloon. However, these didn't rally take off (get it?) in popularity until the late '60s. However... not to far away in Cambs, Ken Wallis was based. He was born in Ely, with a lifelong passion for the atuogyro (including being in 007 movies) and a distinguished flying career as well. There is the family garage/car dealership in Barton still. I remember buying a Rover 827 from them; when we went into the office to do the paperwork, the walls were adorned with autogyro memorabilia. I reckon Ken offered our photographer a lift......

Stewart

I recall an autogyro being displayed in the Wallis showroom window at Mitchum's Corner, Cambridge; (now Staples).

My immediate boss at Cambridge City Council was a great friend of Ken Wallis; (naturally, he drove a Rover and had his own glider).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I recall an autogyro being displayed in the Wallis showroom window at Mitchum's Corner, Cambridge; (now Staples).

My immediate boss at Cambridge City Council was a great friend of Ken Wallis; (naturally, he drove a Rover and had his own glider).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Ken's cousin Geoff was a good friend of mine.

• RMweb Premium

We shall follow the progress of Sea Eagle, first from inside the curve as she runs into the platform.

post-98-0-14393700-1534928531_thumb.jpg

and then again when she has come to a standstill

post-98-0-85108500-1534928599_thumb.jpg

Spectacularly misplaced lamps, eh? I don't know how I do it. Both of these shots are only possible because of the addition of those Midland sidings, and the stock kindly loaned by His Duckness.

• Like 19