Peterborough North

great northern

I feel the need to model what I remember though Chaz, and I don't remember BR blue at all. What's more, it opens up a right can of worms when you start working out what can and can't be used.Where would I be without lots of MK1s, for example?

I fully sympathise and agree with your approach. I too have no memory of the blue livery. I was born in 49 and didn't see any sort of train until I was taken to Liverpool Street on Saturday mornings by my father, by which time the blue livery had gone (did any BR blue locos appear on the GE main line I wonder?). However I have been seduced by the glorious condition of No. 7 and were I to buy an A4 model (it would be a showcase job and would never run on a layout) it would have to be a "blue 'un".

Chaz

G'Day Folks

Gilbert, ever thought about a LNER weekend, like Little Bytham ??

manna

I think the station was materially different by the late '50s? If Gilbert could, he'd be able to do a different closing take on Mallard's run with the loco change to the Ivatt Atlantic!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I fully sympathise and agree with your approach. I too have no memory of the blue livery. I was born in 49 and didn't see any sort of train until I was taken to Liverpool Street on Saturday mornings by my father, by which time the blue livery had gone (did any BR blue locos appear on the GE main line I wonder?). However I have been seduced by the glorious condition of No. 7 and were I to buy an A4 model (it would be a showcase job and would never run on a layout) it would have to be a "blue 'un".

Chaz

Only the RA9 locos were painted blue, as I recall, so none could have run on the GE. An apple green B17 would have neen nice though.

Awaiting the arrival of TW and a nice young man from Oz, so a quick visit. I regularly get into my time machine and visit Little Muddle in the 1930s, and have noted that its owner Kevin has an arrangement with a pilot to do photographic flyovers. What a good idea, I thought, and looked for a suitable candidate in 1958. I found one, but apparently the cost of aviation fuel has soared since the 30s, so he won't be visiting often. Anyway, flying rather low, here are his first two efforts.

attachicon.gif1 high north.JPG

attachicon.gif2 high south.JPG

Very nice and look forward to some more aerial shots.

In 1958 it could have been a helicopter that was used!

Very nice and look forward to some more aerial shots.

In 1958 it could have been a helicopter that was used!

Could have been a Bristol Sycamore!!! That would have been interesting!!!!!

C.

• RMweb Premium

G'Day Folks

Gilbert, ever thought about a LNER weekend, like Little Bytham ??

manna

I think the station was materially different by the late '50s? If Gilbert could, he'd be able to do a different closing take on Mallard's run with the loco change to the Ivatt Atlantic!

Having just said goodbye to two of those who took part in the Little Bytham transformation, I'm afraid that doing something like that with PN is quite clearly not possible, for a number of reasons. I don't think there would be too much trouble caused by changes of infrastructure, but the practicalities are insurmountable.

• RMweb Premium

I do hope the trickery is as smooth as usual at PN so that no stereotypes are reinforced.

Phil

Things fell off with gay abandon. TW identified causes and made some adjustments. I completely lost it when it came to operating, but as my young guest Jesse also uses DCC, we had a majority, and he taught me something very simple that I hadn't sussed out for myself. Why though should it be a loco which TW built for me which decided, entirely of its own volition, to add loads of inertia to its decoder readings? I haven't done anything to change it.

It really was a great pleasure and boost to meet a young man who is so interested in model railways, and who is building and operating his own layout. It makes me feel that the hobby may have a long term future after all. So, thanks Jesse for your company, and long may you continue with your interest. It's  just a shame we are normally so far apart.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Things fell off with gay abandon. TW identified causes and made some adjustments. I completely lost it when it came to operating, but as my young guest Jesse also uses DCC, we had a majority, and he taught me something very simple that I hadn't sussed out for myself. Why though should it be a loco which TW built for me which decided, entirely of its own volition, to add loads of inertia to its decoder readings? I haven't done anything to change it.

It really was a great pleasure and boost to meet a young man who is so interested in model railways, and who is building and operating his own layout. It makes me feel that the hobby may have a long term future after all. So, thanks Jesse for your company, and long may you continue with your interest. It's  just a shame we are normally so far apart.

It must have recognised that its' master was in the locality.................................yes, Jesse is also a bit of a ER fan too which is useful for you. 

Retro running representing  pre nationalisation on PN may not be possible, however a little bit of flexibility with visiting stock could happen. Not exciting but more bog carts and diseasels for around 1962/3 or maybe more to your liking, a step back to mid 50s with appropriate locomotives.

Phil 

Thank you Gilbert for the hospitality, it was certainly good to meet you and see PN! Thank you for the kind words, yes it is a shame that I live so far away, however it makes it more fun, seeing you all is a part of my glorious holiday.

See you next time!

Jesse

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It must have recognised that its' master was in the locality.................................yes, Jesse is also a bit of a ER fan too which is useful for you. 

Retro running representing  pre nationalisation on PN may not be possible, however a little bit of flexibility with visiting stock could happen. Not exciting but more bog carts and diseasels for around 1962/3 or maybe more to your liking, a step back to mid 50s with appropriate locomotives.

Phil 

Not 62 on Phil, not when Gresley's finest were going to the scrapheap. That's when, temporarily, I started to lose interest. Mid 50s might be on, but would need a lot more blood and custard. 58 is fine, with a toe in 59.

• RMweb Premium

Flying East to West, and avoiding Crescent Bridge, we get this view along Station Road.

post-98-0-64011100-1534271993_thumb.jpg

I'm a bit worried about the telegraph wires though. No, it's OK, there aren't any. This shot has quite an impact, as would the plane have made if there had been any wires. It's one of these old two seater biplanes, you see.

• Like 18

Thanks for your hospitality today, Gilbert. 

Jesse thoroughly enjoyed himself. 

Though I admit to having 'death rays' fixed into the hinges of my specs - death rays which attack whichever model railway I happen to look at at, causing 'iffy' running, I'll never be a convert to DCC. 

Some little time after we got back, Jesse and I ran through the whole 50-train sequence on LB - just over two hours of continuous running. No inertia, no macros to puzzle over, no locos mysteriously changing their minds - just simple switches, a 'signal box' type control panel and just good old fashioned DC. I realise PN would need banks and banks of switches and sections for DC operation, and DCC suits you, which is fine. Not for me, though.

Kind regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Could have been a Bristol Sycamore!!! That would have been interesting!!!!!

C.

Or a (the) Fairey Rotodyne...

Or a (the) Fairey Rotodyne...

Oh Lord and Lady don't start me on that!!!!

Until I got sucked into freelance again by The Alchemist, I had a store of Rotodynes in the loft insulation laid aside for 'Modelers Block'. I have some very eldritch decals to go on them as well!!!

I've finally finished the TSR2 that went to NASA in !:72nd.

I know, I know!!!

I now have to pluck up courage to do the final operator of the TSR2, The JSDF!!!!

It is not the build that puts me off, it is the amazing Japanese paintjob!!!

Just think, but for American pressure, you wouldn't have had F111s, you'd have had TSR2s or whatever BAC would have called them!!

I think I've gone bouncing down the Hijack road too long!

Once again 'I'll get my coat!!!!'

Chris.

• Like 2

The pilot now flies rather close to the bridge, and the cameraman's attention is turned to the A4.

attachicon.gif5 high walter 2.JPG

attachicon.gif6 high walter 3.JPG

It is likely that some flying regulations have been broken during the course of this flight, but nothing and no-one has been harmed, so far.

The bridge shot is georgous!!!

I'm stood waiting to be enveloped with steam and smoke!!!!

Respect!!!!

Chris.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Still banking around the bridge, and somehow taking pictures in very rapid succession. I didn't know that technology existed back then.

Well, funnily enough, it did. In 1957, Nikon introduced the latest - and effectively last - development of their S model 35mm rangefinder camera, the SP. This could take an S36 motor drive, enabling it to snap away at 3 frames per second. If yer man can afford to charter a heliclobber, he might well have such kit.