Peterborough North

great northern

I have a very early golfing start tomorrow, so bed will call shortly. Before that though, we can watch Gannet coming off the Heart of Midlothian, and heading off for a rest.

attachicon.gifGannet and 1653.JPG

and 60126 backs on to take the train as far as Newcastle.

attachicon.gif126 on train.JPG

Meanwhile, an 02 on coal empties has crept along the Down slow, but is going to have to wait to get any further.

Same here Gilbert, the election which kept me awake all of last night made me feel a bit unwell this morning. So (until tomorrow) "It's goodbye from me, and it's goodbye from him."

• RMweb Premium

Did Gannet just run off with the name board for the "Heart of Midlothian" there?

Oh yes. That is the Top shed board. The Geordies should have one of their own, but very rarely use it. If that board had been transferred to 60126 KX might never have seen it again. On photos where a loco is running with the board reversed, one can see that the name of the owning shed is actually stencilled on it.

• Like 1

Oh yes. That is the Top shed board. The Geordies should have one of their own, but very rarely use it. If that board had been transferred to 60126 KX might never have seen it again. On photos where a loco is running with the board reversed, one can see that the name of the owning shed is actually stencilled on it.

Somehow reminds me of how Swindon had to build some LMS/BR(MR) locos because Crewe couldn't be bothered, like the Ivatt 2MTs and the 8Fs.*

*But I believe more 8Fs were needed because of the war so Swindon were asked to build some. Gilbert, I don't suppose any run on PN?

• RMweb Premium

Somehow reminds me of how Swindon had to build some LMS/BR(MR) locos because Crewe couldn't be bothered, like the Ivatt 2MTs and the 8Fs.*

*But I believe more 8Fs were needed because of the war so Swindon were asked to build some. Gilbert, I don't suppose any run on PN?

Plenty of 8Fs to be seen from PN platforms in reality, but you will have to see them in imagination on the model Liam, as I can't fit in the Midland lines.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for leaving the N5 in that crop a few pages ago, Gilbert.  I have been otherwise occupied, nephew visiting for TT, motorbike racing to watch, and still coping with being half crippled with the foot so I missed it at the time.  Apols. 

Off to UK land ourselves in a few weeks, annual campervan tour!  Edit - lost a chunk out of here - 'so you will be safe to cut it out of photos for 2 weeks'!!

I seem to be developing a strong taste for those Thompson coaches though - they look so modern and swish, after the rather, er, archaic Gresley panelling that seemed to have changed little since GNR days.  Did I just mildy criticise Gresley in favour of Thompson...crikey, I must be unwell, or maybe its the Tramadol for the foot pain!

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for leaving the N5 in that crop a few pages ago, Gilbert.  I have been otherwise occupied, nephew visiting for TT, motorbike racing to watch, and still coping with being half crippled with the foot so I missed it at the time.  Apols. 

Off to UK land ourselves in a few weeks, annual campervan tour!  Edit - lost a chunk out of here - 'so you will be safe to cut it out of photos for 2 weeks'!!

I seem to be developing a strong taste for those Thompson coaches though - they look so modern and swish, after the rather, er, archaic Gresley panelling that seemed to have changed little since GNR days.  Did I just mildy criticise Gresley in favour of Thompson...crikey, I must be unwell, or maybe its the Tramadol for the foot pain!

It's the Tramadol. :jester:

Gilbert, how do you and technology get on? The reason why I ask is perhaps to keep Neil entertained you can fit a driver's eye view camera to the N5 and then post photos and short videos of the piloting movements.

• RMweb Premium

Here is a picture which bears a striking similarity to one I posted earlier.

post-98-0-00898100-1497215430_thumb.jpg

It gave me another opportunity to deal with lots of lovely lattices though. Next on the Up was another FO service, the 1230pm Doncaster -KX, V2 hauled, as so many of these extras were.

post-98-0-21040500-1497215641_thumb.jpg

I couldn't face those lattices again so soon.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, how do you and technology get on? The reason why I ask is perhaps to keep Neil entertained you can fit a driver's eye view camera to the N5 and then post photos and short videos of the piloting movements.

Technology? What's that then? :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

The V2 has stopped, and provides another nice portrait.

attachicon.gif862 2.JPG

Then there are a couple of experimental efforts, which I don't think come off, but I remembered just before I binned them that sometimes you don't agree with me, so here they are.

attachicon.gifsame closer.JPG

attachicon.gifother side of SB.JPG

I like the black-and-white shot - it has a sort of Colin Gifford look about it - but not so much the colour one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, any chance of some sort of double header?

:O :swoon:  This is the Eastern Liam. We have engines that are big and powerful enough to do the job on their own. Seriously, double heading was very rare indeed, and in the case of Pacifics it was prohibited over the bridges on the Trent at Newark anyway.

• Like 1

Gilbert,

when did 60862 lose it's monobloc casting and receive outside stream pipes. It must have been one of the first modified in this manner.

Double Header on the Eastern !! Sounds more like an Egg.. Oh no that was a Double Yoker. Even when the "Up Lizzie  A4 failed it was replaced with a V2 - 60817.

Just off to QMC.

Regards Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

when did 60862 lose it's monobloc casting and receive outside stream pipes. It must have been one of the first modified in this manner.

Double Header on the Eastern !! Sounds more like an Egg.. Oh no that was a Double Yoker. Even when the "Up Lizzie  A4 failed it was replaced with a V2 - 60817.

Just off to QMC.

Regards Derek.

March 1957 Derek, very early indeed. It is one of only a few I had to choose from, as most of the early conversions were NE or Scottish engines. Good luck if you are hoping to park at QMC.

• RMweb Premium

:O :swoon:  This is the Eastern Liam. We have engines that are big and powerful enough to do the job on their own. Seriously, double heading was very rare indeed, and in the case of Pacifics it was prohibited over the bridges on the Trent at Newark anyway.

And prohibited over Welwyn Viaduct too I believe, so that's both sides of Peterborough covered!

Hello Gilbert,

I've not posted on here for some time, but regularly admire your pictures of operations at Peterborough North, some of the shots are extremely life like and the careful weathering of the locos helps enormously in creating realistic cameos.

From my train spotting days in the 60's around Barnet, the only double headed train I remember was a special with City of Truro and the Midland Compound, they made a splendid sight and I guess the axle loads were such as to satisfy the Civil Engineer.

I happened through Peterborough last Friday, curtesy of Virgin East Coast, at fairly high speed, but I could still recognise the bridges and what is left of the old railway buildings at the north end of the station, from your creation of Peterborough North.

Congratulations on over 600 pages to date.

regards,

Malcolm