Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

So where in Birmingham were you yesterday Gilbert?

Liam, I don't want to discourage you from posting on here, but please do realise that if I don't reply to your queries once, I'm not likely to do so if you ask again. There are some things which remain private, so far as I am concerned.

• RMweb Premium

We have one more view of 60514.

post-98-0-02012400-1496825746_thumb.jpg

and then attention switches to the Up, as a Class C which originated in Edinburgh rolls through. If there was anything exotic at the front on its way South, it is now a mile away on New England shed, and a local V2 we see many times is in charge.

post-98-0-82068200-1496825961_thumb.jpg

60126 still waits in the bay, a water column has again seized the opportunity to grow out of its chimney, and I haven't got the brightness and contrast quite as I wanted it, but never mind.

• Like 19

Got to Birmingham, no rain. Had a coffee, no rain. Stood on first tee, rain started. Half an hour later, it stopped, and didn't start again till we were back in the clubhouse. Excellent. Not so excellent, two and a half hours to get home, with our wonderful motorways in their alternative car park mode.

Why did that DMU have to move out of the way so smartly? Because the Up Fair Maid was due, and here it is, Gateshead A2 Velocity in charge.

attachicon.gif538 and 1653 1.JPG

attachicon.gif538 and 1653 2.JPG

Hi Gilbert

I must say 60538 Velocity looks stunning, a very nice example of loco weathering.

A well used locomotive but still plenty of Brunswick Green showing through, nice photo composition as well.

Just a shame the B17 was not Tottenham Hotspur, but two very nice locomotives all the same.

Thanks for posting it.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I must say 60538 Velocity looks stunning, a very nice example of loco weathering.

A well used locomotive but still plenty of Brunswick Green showing through, nice photo composition as well.

Just a shame the B17 was not Tottenham Hotspur, but two very nice locomotives all the same.

Thanks for posting it.

David

Tottenham Hotspur came through a short while ago David, I'm not sure when its next turn is. I agree that Velocity shows Tim on his very top form, lovely job.

• RMweb Premium

We concentrate on the V2 hauled Class C this evening.

post-98-0-55647500-1496870177_thumb.jpg

One way to deal with the bits that are very hard to photoshop is to be very harsh with the cropping. No such problem when it gets down the other end.

post-98-0-62125500-1496870297_thumb.jpg

It occurred to me that whilst i do feature full passenger rakes now and again, I tend not to do the same with the humble goods. This will be rectified when more pictures of this train appear tomorrow.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

OMG Gilbert - your modelling does take the biscuit.  I love the fact that there is no emphasis on any particular class of train, and that goods (not freight back then) does not take back seat.

And so, as promised, more wagons.

attachicon.gifgoods 2.JPG

and more still

attachicon.gifgoods 3.JPG

and yet more

attachicon.gifgoods 4.JPG

and finally, the end is in sight.

attachicon.gifgoods 5.JPG

In case of mutterings of "wot no engines" here is what followed hard on the heels of the brake van.

attachicon.gifIvatt and B17.JPG

A very nice rake of wagons for a fully fitted, the only thing I would suggest (if you ever have the time) is to tone down those shiny wagon wheels - they should be matte grime; apart from the running surface on the treads of course.

Keep on trucking.

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

OMG Gilbert - your modelling does take the biscuit.  I love the fact that there is no emphasis on any particular class of train, and that goods (not freight back then) does not take back seat.

As a matter of historical accuracy the term 'freight' succeeded 'goods' in the 1920s in operational documents and in terms of the classification of trains.  'Goods' as a commercial categorisation of particular traffics continued for many years after that.  However in the lingua franca of some in the industry the term 'goods' was used long after the 1920s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bad back stopped play, but did allow the taking of more photos, accompanied by some cursing. Call up loco, no response. Remove loco to programming track, as I can't quite remember what address I gave it. All appears to be as it should be. Return loco to track, no response. :scratchhead: Repeat, with profanities. Still nothing. Ten minutes wasted, before I think of checking for a short circuit. Oh look! there is one. More profanities. So, why is there a short? Another five minutes wasted before I see that I have nudged a wagon so that it has one wheel over a rail joint leading into a point set against. Nudge back, all works.  Peace descends.

Here is an Ivatt that arrived with a Yarmouth Beach service before all the above took place.

post-98-0-89545200-1496954473_thumb.jpg

And here it is again, hurriedly getting out of the way, and meeting a much more important Down service.

post-98-0-06518500-1496954564_thumb.jpg

Model railways can be annoying sometimes. As can keyboards which do not reproduce what i think I am typing. Gubber.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

The approaching express can now be seen to be the Heart of Midlothian.

post-98-0-65085100-1496997930_thumb.jpg

which is logical, as we know that the relieving engine is already in position.

post-98-0-65398400-1496998010_thumb.jpg

Note  once again inanimate objects ability to foul things up. That ground signal has now been replaced as it should be.Close cropping does sometimes have disadvantages.

• Like 17

Bad back stopped play, but did allow the taking of more photos, accompanied by some cursing. Call up loco, no response. Remove loco to programming track, as I can't quite remember what address I gave it. All appears to be as it should be. Return loco to track, no response. :scratchhead: Repeat, with profanities. Still nothing. Ten minutes wasted, before I think of checking for a short circuit. Oh look! there is one. More profanities. So, why is there a short? Another five minutes wasted before I see that I have nudged a wagon so that it has one wheel over a rail joint leading into a point set against. Nudge back, all works.  Peace descends.

Here is an Ivatt that arrived with a Yarmouth Beach service before all the above took place.

attachicon.gifIvatt.JPG

And here it is again, hurriedly getting out of the way, and meeting a much more important Down service.

attachicon.gifIvatt and Gannet.JPG

Model railways can be annoying sometimes. As can keyboards which do not reproduce what i think I am typing. Gubber.

That picture of the Ivatt half under the overall roof is spot on. The CCT is well placed to complete the composition (if a bit clean - it was often impossible to work out what colour paint lurked under the filth - sorry, on my weathering hobby-horse again).

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

I have a very early golfing start tomorrow, so bed will call shortly. Before that though, we can watch Gannet coming off the Heart of Midlothian, and heading off for a rest.

post-98-0-90857800-1497041884_thumb.jpg

and 60126 backs on to take the train as far as Newcastle.

post-98-0-70829400-1497041961_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, an 02 on coal empties has crept along the Down slow, but is going to have to wait to get any further.

• Like 18