Peterborough North

great northern

I don't usually have anything useful to contribute, but I can help on what a 'Fingall' is. It's a fair haired foreigner, usually a Norseman, as distinct from a Dougal / Doyle / Dowell which is a dark haired foreigner, a Dane. Fingal's Cave is on the Isle of Staffa in the Inner Hebrides, while the Fingal Plain is north of Dublin city.

On second thoughts, of absolutely no use to a railway modeller, but it is what it is. Latter day Vikings, arriving at Newcastle, have better transport options for reaching London.

I like the little Ivatt tank.

Alan

The Shadows also dedicated an instrumental to one of them, namely "The Rise And Fall Of Fingall Blunt". Reasonably easy to play with a pig of a middle eight.

Allan

Edited by allan downes

• RMweb Premium

A blissful hour and a bit with headphones on, volume up and Tommy in full. I feel better now, so how about another picture with nothing going on?

post-98-0-71594500-1496179613_thumb.jpg

Actually there is something going on - the last three Grantham coaches are on their way out of Platform 6.

post-98-0-20009100-1496179750_thumb.jpg

And a couple of minutes later 61282 is off on its way to London.

• Like 19

The power of music, so often under estimated. I too have operated my layout tonight to the sound music. Tonight it was something contemporary (Hozier and Noah and the Whale) though earlier today whilst working; I re lived my 80s youth with music by Bruce Hornsby and Peter Gabriel. 

Well the inspirational pictures just keep coming do they not?  What a pleasure it is to be transported back to what I and many here would say were the good old days (but I accept that this was not the case in reality). I just lose myself looking at the wonderful images and recalling those times. The recent weathered locos are just stunning and so realistic. You really spoil us Gilbert!

Thank you

Martin Long

No. It was very carefully placed there.

So it was on its own obstructing the main line? The signalman needs a talking to for potentially causing a disaster.

But in 1967 at Conington (somewhere between Peterborough and Stevenage) a Deltic hauling an Edinburgh bound express was derailed along with most of the coaches after the points were unlocked and changed while the express was rushing over, caused by a 20 year old signalman who was discharged from the Marines (or was it the navy?) with 'hysteria and immature personality'. At least five people died as a result of the crash.

It led to all candidates for safety critical roles (in particular signalling) being properly examined (medical wise as well).

• RMweb Premium

So it was on its own obstructing the main line? The signalman needs a talking to for potentially causing a disaster.

But in 1967 at Conington (somewhere between Peterborough and Stevenage) a Deltic hauling an Edinburgh bound express was derailed along with most of the coaches after the points were unlocked and changed while the express was rushing over, caused by a 20 year old signalman who was discharged from the Marines (or was it the navy?) with 'hysteria and immature personality'. At least five people died as a result of the crash.

It led to all candidates for safety critical roles (in particular signalling) being properly examined (medical wise as well).

But how do you know there aren't more carriages out of sight? And even if there aren't, it could quite properly be left there during a shunting move.

• RMweb Premium

The Cravens were intended to operate the long-distance cross-country routes of the M&GN. Yarmouth-Birmingham is not a short route.

But after they were ordered a decision was taken to close most of the M&GN routes instead. Which is why so many surplus Cravens ended-up operating commuter routes out of King's Cross, routes for which they were wildly unsuitable.

Paul

Hi Paul

I get fed up with reading and hearing that the Cravens were ordered for the M&GN lines. More Cravens coaches were ordered than coaches ever ran on the M&GN, even BR in its most stupid days would not have expected a tripling (or greater) of the number of passengers on the M&GN. And if you check the dates, the batch of Cravens that were used for large parts of East Anglia and the Kings Cross suburban services were ordered after the announcement of the closure of the M&GN.

Why were so many fitted with London Transport trip cock gear from new if they were intended to amble along a single line from Bourne to Melton Constable? They were ordered for the outer suburban services from Kings Cross and for the GER lines outside of the then London commuter belt, which alone totaled far more services than on the M&GN.

Admittedly they were only supposed to be a stop gap between the end of steam and the introduction of new EMU trains on the suburban services when the line to Doncaster was to be energised in the early sixties. The Class 85s and 309s were intended for this electrification program. In the end they had to wait until 1977 before being moved away from the commuter belt.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Same here regarding the Cravens units. The first batch went to Hull for NER of BR East Yorkshire services. They had four lamp cab ends. So nowhere near the former M&GN.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

The sound of the WD and its wagons having faded into the distance, the stage is set for the next Up express. This is the 9.47am Newcastle, a relief to the main 1000am train. It has changed engines at Grantham, and that shed's A3 Victor Wild is in charge fo rthe rest of the journey to London.

post-98-0-73808400-1496305790_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-76957300-1496305830_thumb.jpg

The relief does not stop here, though the main train does.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

The Shadows also dedicated an instrumental to one of them, namely "The Rise And Fall Of Fingall Blunt". Reasonably easy to play with a pig of a middle eight.

Allan

I know have an image of you in my head doing the "Shadows dance steps"...................nurse......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry but even it it was on its own why shouldn't it legitimately be where it is?  Perfectly permissible under the Regulations (provided it has or is attached to something which has a handbrake) let alone being part of a train or shunting movement on an opposite line.

Incidentally there were no changes to any examination procedures (including medical) following the Connington incident.  Medical information from previous employers and even GPs etc could only be obtained with the written permission of the individual concerned so even if the Railway MO suspected something he could only get information from other medical practitioners with the person's permission.  The alternative would be to fail them if they did not reach the required standard - and that applied to all staff, not just those in what are nowadays called 'safety critical' roles.

Sorry (yet again) to go a touch O/T.

Sorry but even it it was on its own why shouldn't it legitimately be where it is?  Perfectly permissible under the Regulations (provided it has or is attached to something which has a handbrake) let alone being part of a train or shunting movement on an opposite line.

Incidentally there were no changes to any examination procedures (including medical) following the Connington incident.  Medical information from previous employers and even GPs etc could only be obtained with the written permission of the individual concerned so even if the Railway MO suspected something he could only get information from other medical practitioners with the person's permission.  The alternative would be to fail them if they did not reach the required standard - and that applied to all staff, not just those in what are nowadays called 'safety critical' roles.

Sorry (yet again) to go a touch O/T.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be there, I'm just saying if it was on its own obstructing the main running lines with an intense timetable like PN there could be a disaster. Probably best if we exhaust the matter.

Mike the article was in the March edition of The Railway Magazine.