Peterborough North

great northern

We continue to follow events as they happen, and next see the A1 and A2/3 in the process of changing places.

attachicon.gif126 and 514 2.JPG

The A1 then continues tender first towards New England, passing the Cravens unit, which has moved back into number 4 bay, and will soon be off to Cleethorpes.

attachicon.gif126 and DMU.JPG

That's a fairly long run on a DMU for 1958, Peterborough to Cleethorpes. But then again about 50 years later DMUs were introduced to running from Aberdeen to Penzance.

• RMweb Gold

That's a fairly long run on a DMU for 1958, Peterborough to Cleethorpes. But then again about 50 years later DMUs were introduced to running from Aberdeen to Penzance.

There were "InterCity" DMU's which were intended for some fairly lengthy journeys, although the Cravens certainly wasn't one of them. My memories of them are returning from KX in the dark after a days spotting in London, if you nodded off and your head hit the glass you were soon woken with "Vibration Forehead"

• Like 2

There were "InterCity" DMU's which were intended for some fairly lengthy journeys, although the Cravens certainly wasn't one of them. My memories of them are returning from KX in the dark after a days spotting in London, if you nodded off and your head hit the glass you were soon woken with "Vibration Forehead"

The Cravens were intended to operate the long-distance cross-country routes of the M&GN. Yarmouth-Birmingham is not a short route.

But after they were ordered a decision was taken to close most of the M&GN routes instead. Which is why so many surplus Cravens ended-up operating commuter routes out of King's Cross, routes for which they were wildly unsuitable.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

On the driving trailers you got a good gentle sway which always put me to sleep. So not all was quite so bad about the Cravens units - just as long as it was a trailer car.

With best regards,

Rob.

• Like 4

Back to action on the Up, and time has been found to slip an 02 hauled minerals through before the next express is due.

attachicon.gifTango 1.JPG

attachicon.giftango 2.JPG

Confession time. This should have been a pick up goods, but I found myself insufficiently motivated to form one of those, or change lamps, so it became a class F instead.

Ah, a Tango. I'll have orange please, who wants apple? ;)

This morning's pictures were taken six days ago, so I'm starting to struggle to remember which services they show. I'm OK with the first one though, which is Gateshead A3 Gladiateur backing down in readiness to take over the 1100 KX- Glasgow.

attachicon.gif70.JPG

Even a really shabby A3 can still look elegant, and just looking at it lifts my spirits. At the other end, the lunchtime East-Leicester is arriving with vintage motive power in charge.

attachicon.gif452 1.JPG

To me this photograph of 60070 is one of your very best Gilbert. Had to do a double take to be sure it was  a model instead of real life.

Regards,Derek.

This morning's pictures were taken six days ago, so I'm starting to struggle to remember which services they show. I'm OK with the first one though, which is Gateshead A3 Gladiateur backing down in readiness to take over the 1100 KX- Glasgow.

attachicon.gif70.JPG

Even a really shabby A3 can still look elegant, and just looking at it lifts my spirits. At the other end, the lunchtime East-Leicester is arriving with vintage motive power in charge.

attachicon.gif452 1.JPG

love the shot of the A3 Gilbert, superb mate. Edited by Brian Hawkins

Back to action on the Up, and time has been found to slip an 02 hauled minerals through before the next express is due.

attachicon.gifTango 1.JPG

attachicon.giftango 2.JPG

Confession time. This should have been a pick up goods, but I found myself insufficiently motivated to form one of those, or change lamps, so it became a class F instead.

How could pass up the chance - a J6 with a motley half dozen wagons and an unfitted brake van?   Granted it's always nice to see an O2 but really.....

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

How could pass up the chance - a J6 with a motley half dozen wagons and an unfitted brake van?   Granted it's always nice to see an O2 but really.....

Chaz

This would have been a New England- KX goods pick up Chaz, and all the photos of it I have seen show a WD in charge, so you haven't been deprived of a J6.

• RMweb Premium

To me this photograph of 60070 is one of your very best Gilbert. Had to do a double take to be sure it was  a model instead of real life.

Regards,Derek.

love the shot of the A3 Gilbert, superb mate.

Thanks chaps. I delete most photos after I've posted them, but every now and again I keep one I really like, and this one will join that number.

• Like 1

Sad to think that spotters would boo (or shout 'scrap it') if they saw the same loco frequently. Before my time! Wonder what some of those same spotters would give now to see those same locos today?

Edit to add: you're doing a great job of showing those of us that weren't there what things were like

Edited by sp1

G'Day Gents

I used to think that about 'Lord Faringdon (60034) every time I went train spotting he/she would turn up, and always nice and clean, love to see it again.

manna

Sad to think that spotters would boo (or shout 'scrap it') if they saw the same loco frequently. Before my time! Wonder what some of those same spotters would give now to see those same locos today?

Edit to add: you're doing a great job of showing those of us that weren't there what things were like

I know. I was at Tamworth a few months ago and there were some spotters who were causing a nuisance to everyone else on the station. They were soon threatened by the in-effect station master with being seen on to the next train home and probably also a ban from stations on the whole of the Trent Valley line (Rugby to Stafford). Not good enough. We should all go there one time and teach them how to behave.

• RMweb Premium

The simple answer is that we would give a great deal. I have wonderful memories, but I wish I had been a bit older so that I could have better grasped what was actually happpening and got further past the number collecting stage before steam was on the way out. I was 16 before I realised properly that we were going to lose all of it, and even then couldn't believe it would happen so soon. Give me the chance of a time capsule back to 1958 for a day, and I'd snap your hand off.

So, a question. You have a choice of one day, one place, between 1000am and 5.30pm, and a year between 1948 and 1963. Where are you going?

• RMweb Premium

I know. I was at Tamworth a few months ago and there were some spotters who were causing a nuisance to everyone else on the station. They were soon threatened by the in-effect station master with being seen on to the next train home and probably also a ban from stations on the whole of the Trent Valley line (Rugby to Stafford). Not good enough. We should all go there one time and teach them how to behave.

Not good, I agree, but in a way nice to know that they care enough to be there.

• RMweb Premium

'Twas ever thus - just small boys' bravado.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sounds as if all is not lost - that could just as easily have been the 1960s at any significant station that you care to name!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Premium

Things have moved on a little, and 60070 has now backed on to the Glasgow, and is waiting for the off.

post-98-0-83963400-1495355479_thumb.jpg

While down at the other end, the stock for the lunch time train to Cambridge has been brought in, and that lovely clean B12 has moved down from the coaling stage and backed on. Sorry you missed that, but I can't be everywhere at once, you know.

post-98-0-92158300-1495355641_thumb.jpg

Incidentally, I do wonder why just the occasional train to and from E.Anglia started or terminated at North, when the vast majority used East. It is nothing to do with main line connections, so far as I can see. They are purely local services.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

So, a question. You have a choice of one day, one place, between 1000am and 5.30pm, and a year between 1948 and 1963. Where are you going?

Clapham Junction. No question. My first day trainspotting there in 1960 set me up for life. Loadsa steam, loadsa trains, busy as can be. Inspiring when you are 11. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Incidentally, I do wonder why just the occasional train to and from E.Anglia started or terminated at North, when the vast majority used East. It is nothing to do with main line connections, so far as I can see. They are purely local services.

Perhaps they were ones which carried mail for transfer to other trains at North?

• Like 1