Peterborough North

great northern

The B12 was inspired by this image, reproduced courtesy of peterboroughimages.co.uk.

attachicon.gif61558-020858.jpg

It was a Cambridge engine, and on that diagram we have seen many times before now which left the loco in this position for photography. I suspect the service was the afternoon Harwich turn, but I can't be certain. Anyway, there was a lovely clean B12 in late 50s condition, so it was the prime candidate. My effort was very hasty, and nowhere near, so I shall see if I can do better when I have more time.

attachicon.gif1558 1.JPG

Being a generous chap, I shall give you another shot of every day life as well, again featuring the Flying Scotsman.

attachicon.gif201 2.JPG

Ok, stop teasing us. Now you've shown the prototype pics of the B12, when do we get to see your creation in model form?

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Time to reveal the next of the lovely sights that met my eyes yesterday. I have whinged often enough about Hornby's dubious take on BR green, and Tim agrees, so we shall gradually get rid of it. The latest one to get the treatment was Persimmon, one of my favourite A3s. Last visit to Doncaster paint shop was in November 1957, so Tim's brief was to turn it into a loco which was nine months out of shops, but well kept and regularly cleaned. I could remember what that looked like without being able to put it into words. Now I don't have to try. It looked like this.

post-98-0-84389000-1494537376_thumb.jpg

And we deserve a look at the other side too.

post-98-0-88589600-1494537425_thumb.jpg

I couldn't take my eyes off this for ages. It just looks so right. The only problem is that it makes most of the rest look so wrong, and there are a lot of them. We'll get there in the end.

• Like 19

Time to reveal the next of the lovely sights that met my eyes yesterday. I have whinged often enough about Hornby's dubious take on BR green, and Tim agrees, so we shall gradually get rid of it. The latest one to get the treatment was Persimmon, one of my favourite A3s. Last visit to Doncaster paint shop was in November 1957, so Tim's brief was to turn it into a loco which was nine months out of shops, but well kept and regularly cleaned. I could remember what that looked like without being able to put it into words. Now I don't have to try. It looked like this.

50 1.JPG

50 2.JPG

I couldn't take my eyes off this for ages. It just looks so right. The only problem is that it makes most of the rest look so wrong, and there are a lot of them. We'll get there in the end.

Did it have to be an a3? I want more a3's....!

Morning chaps

I was wondering if any of you go to Warley - I went last year (a brilliant show it was) but don't think I can go this year. Because I'm sure if you went Gilbert many people would want to have a chat to you about PN.

In the next photo Gilbert, any chance of a V2?

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif50 1.JPG

attachicon.gif50 2.JPG

Gilbert,

That looks fantastic Did It involve a respray or was it some form of Tim wizardry with polish/ varnish?

Andy

• Like 1

I've said this before - but it bears repeating; if you don't click on Gilbert's photos to see them full size, you are missing a whole other level of majesty.  That A3 looks like a brass O gauge model when you see the full size photo. 

Mouth-wateringly well done, Tim.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning chaps

I was wondering if any of you go to Warley - I went last year (a brilliant show it was) but don't think I can go this year. Because I'm sure if you went Gilbert many people would want to have a chat to you about PN.

In the next photo Gilbert, any chance of a V2?

I don't do Warley, Liam, for a number of reasons. I'd have been very pleased if Tim's goodies had included a V2 or three, but sadly, no chance.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

That looks fantastic Did It involve a respray or was it some form of Tim wizardry with polish/ varnish?

Andy

Tim wizardry as you say Andy. I'll leave it to him as to how many of his secrets he is prepared to reveal. Though even if he told me all of them, I bet I still couldn't get the results that he does.

• RMweb Gold

I don't do Warley, Liam, for a number of reasons. I'd have been very pleased if Tim's goodies had included a V2 or three, but sadly, no chance.

That's the trouble when you're famous...........I now have a vision of you trying to attend incognito wearing Groucho Marx glasses and tache to keep the hordes at bay.

Edited by chris p bacon

• RMweb Premium

So, this morning we shall look at the next little gem that Tim had in his bag. It couldn't be much more different from an A3, but it fills in another piece of the PN jigsaw that I have long wished to complete. It also further satisfies my craving for pre grouping 4.4.0s, though not GN in this case.

post-98-0-51475300-1494578410_thumb.jpg

Leicester Midland shed still had one or two of these in use in 1958, and 40452 crops up in many photos, so this was a loco I really wanted to have. It started life as a Hornby fire sale offering, but Tim has had to do a great deal of work to get it to look like this, rather more in fact than he envisaged when he suggested the project. I'll leave it to him to expand on that, if he so wishes. Here is the other side.

post-98-0-41762600-1494578660_thumb.jpg

We still haven't finished looking at everything that arrived on Wednesday, but I reckon they deserve to be examined closely and individually, so we'll carry on like that.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

That's the trouble when you're famous...........I now have a vision of you trying to attend incognito wearing Groucho Marx glasses and tache to keep the hordes at bay.

Got the glasses. I'll see what I can do about the tache. :jester:  My reluctance has more to do with crowds, expensive car parking and horrible lighting though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Got the glasses. I'll see what I can do about the tache. :jester:  My reluctance has more to do with crowds, expensive car parking and horrible lighting though.

I go each year with a few others as it's ideal for me to see and buy from small traders, I totally agree about the Sodium lighting, I attend a few other events in the year and the first thing the lighting does is make me yawn when I enter.

Car parking is silly money but we split across a car full (as well as fuel) although last time they ate all my liquorice allsorts!

I go each year with a few others as it's ideal for me to see and buy from small traders, I totally agree about the Sodium lighting, I attend a few other events in the year and the first thing the lighting does is make me yawn when I enter.

Car parking is silly money but we split across a car full (as well as fuel) although last time they ate all my liquorice allsorts!

I quite like the lighting actually, so much so that if ever there's a photo of a layout I can tell if it was taken at Warley from the lighting. But you could do what I do and go by train. I only had to pay about £4 in total for a return to International.

I might get kicked out for this, but as I have a soft spot for the Western Region I got a Hornby BR Mk 1 SK in chocolate and cream for £16 (no haggling necessary) and a Toad for £14.50, though was instantly kicking myself afterwards as I remembered from the entrance Hornby were bringing out a new one which I could pre-order!

Gilbert, you could just pretend to not know about the custom of taking hats off indoors and were a woolly hat/balaclava the whole time!

• RMweb Gold

I quite like the lighting actually, so much so that if ever there's a photo of a layout I can tell if it was taken at Warley from the lighting. But you could do what I do and go by train. I only had to pay about £4 in total for a return to International.

I reckon that's the first time I've heard someone say they like the sodium lighting  :O

I have heard the argument and investigated parking nearby and heading in by train, but after a 90 minute drive and splitting the parking among the 4 of us (£3 each) it's just not worth the extra hassle. It also adds a further 45 mins to an hour to the journey each way as the stations are not easily accesible from our route.

Anyway back to PN as I feel a J6 approaching............and if it isn't I'd like an inspectors report as to why....... :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

Wow.  Just wow.  Tim surely is a master.  I am bowled over totally by Persimmon, she looks so real and alive.  A lot of weathering (mine included) looks sort of OK but doesn't spring the model into such reality, but that is simply majestic in its presence.  Gosh, I'm gushing.  Quick, bring on an 0-6-2 tank to calm me......

• RMweb Premium

So, here is a strange question. I prefer loco's 'facing the right'. Don't know why but I do. How about others?

(Actually, having done the full size click as suggested then they look great both ways, however I still prefer the right facing shots).

P. Ooroldsod 

• Like 1

So, here is a strange question. I prefer loco's 'facing the right'. Don't know why but I do. How about others?

(Actually, having done the full size click as suggested then they look great both ways, however I still prefer the right facing shots).

P. Ooroldsod

When they first emerged from the works (in photographic grey or not), locos tended to face the left. Perhaps it's because people read from left to right and so will want to examine a steam locomotive in the same manner.

• RMweb Gold

That 2P looks so good to me. I wonder if it's loco drive, and if so whether it retains those awful traction tyres, or has it been rewheeled? I will have to try and give mine the same kind of treatment one day.

Best regards,

Rob.

Well, what can I say; I'm truly humbled by the kind words above!

The method I used on Persimmon was simply T-Cut to bring up the original colour, thereby losing the fairly dull and lifeless matter finish.  There is a point at which you can do more harm than good on a model like this, especially to the lining.  It's easier to demonstrate this than describe, but I'm not very good at doing things like that over on video!  A  coat or two (depends on how good a covering you get first time!) of original formula Klear is applied after all numbering has been applied, which effectively seals it all in.  The resulting weathering afterwards is almost never by how much you cover a model in, but by how much you leave behind.  Quite a lot went on, in two goes, but most of it comes off.

That 2P looks so good to me. I wonder if it's loco drive, and if so whether it retains those awful traction tyres, or has it been rewheeled? I will have to try and give mine the same kind of treatment one day.

Best regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Yes, it's the most recent model with the loco drive and indeed those pesky traction tyres.  I wouldn't mind getting hold of a couple of wheels from one, to lose those wretched things....  That, however, is up to Gilbert!  It runs fine now, after a troublesome decoder was replaced.

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Actually I lied. I prefer loco's in 3/4 front view and they can be facing either way. Side views as above..... I've changed my mind already. Must be something to do with my medication......... :dontknow: Cannabis influencus?

As has been mentioned many times, an A3 seems to look good in a 'going away shot'. Must be something about the proportions of the machine?  

• Like 1

Actually I lied. I prefer loco's in 3/4 front view and they can be facing either way. Side views as above..... I've changed my mind already. Must be something to do with my medication......... :dontknow: Cannabis influencus?

As has been mentioned many times, an A3 seems to look good in a 'going away shot'. Must be something about the proportions of the machine?

I do hope your doctor is fully certified . . . :unsure: