Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

You won't want to I'm sure, however if you think A3 tender allocation is fun then try sorting the ##### Merchant Navy ones. Way back in 1960/1/2 I never even noticed they were different, but then I decided I would have a SR layout based on the WOEML east of Exeter!

Parp.

Like lots of things though Phil, the more you get to know, the less you realise you actually do know. So then you do some more digging, and uncover a minefield. :bomb_mini:  I've always wanted an excuse to use that one. Yes, I know its a bomb, but its close.

I thought that I had once succeeded in getting a Pacific dead right, but then along came Mr Wright, who took one look, and said "that one had spoked tender wheels". :cray_mini:

• RMweb Premium

I must confess I'm not as much a ER man as some of those here, but do any of you chaps recommend an ER tank locomotive (apart from J94s) which with modellers licence could operate in a colliery?

I'll give that one some thought, if I may, and come back to you later, unless someone else can give the answer beforehand.

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a setback today folks. I lost focus in my right eye, went to GP, and was told to go to eye casualty,"now".

Seems I have had a haemorrhage behind the pupil. I'll settle for that as I was thinking detached retina or worse. Off to hospital again tomorrow morning for blood tests, which I don't like at all, but has to be done. This will I'm assured clear up, bit it is a warning which i have to heed,  so time will tell what is necessary.

At the moment I can see very little, on account of the drops they put in, but that will soon clear too. I can see enough though to post one more image, Diamond Jubilee again.

post-98-0-70790400-1487975324_thumb.jpg

That wasn't a problem, so here's another.

post-98-0-71428200-1487975377_thumb.jpg

I suspect that processing anything new may be more difficult though, so there may be a pause in new images for a little while.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Crikey Gilbert, get to the appointment and don't mind us!  I hope that can be sorted, sounds like they have things well in hand though.

Love that last photo too, again for whatever reason that is one that really floats my boat - all the infrastructure?

Crikey Gilbert, get to the appointment and don't mind us! I hope that can be sorted, sounds like they have things well in hand though.

Love that last photo too, again for whatever reason that is one that really floats my boat - all the infrastructure?

I agree on both counts. That little lad is going to be late for his tea - he's been standing at that end of the platform for ages. Hope he got some good 'cops' underlined in his ABC because he'll cop one from his mother if he's late home......

• RMweb Gold

Crikey Gilbert, get to the appointment and don't mind us!  I hope that can be sorted, sounds like they have things well in hand though.

Absolutely essential treatment. ISTR a BR safety film in the '70s which included the stark message " You're wearing your last pair of eyes now!"

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I agree on both counts. That little lad is going to be late for his tea - he's been standing at that end of the platform for ages. Hope he got some good 'cops' underlined in his ABC because he'll cop one from his mother if he's late home......

She will have to come and get him, and he has the perfect excuse as she will discover - some ******* has glued him to the platform.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to say that the NHS moved really fast with this, and by lunchtime had all the blood test and other results ready. So, I have too high cholesterol and blood pressure, and that clot could have headed for my brain, if it could find it, instead of my eye. The eye will recover to nearly as good as new, while I now have statins and other stuff to bring the problems that caused the problem down to aceptable levels. I'm a bit miffed about the cholesterol, as I am very careful about my diet, but never mind. A couple of unshopped photos tonight, first up being a local B1 at rest after bringing in a Grimsby stopper.

post-98-0-37325400-1488061470_thumb.jpg

and then yet another A3 appears from the South, with the 6.35 Leeds and Hull, the third down West Riding express in 25 minutes. A very interesting formation this, which I shall reveal tomorrow.

post-98-0-96983600-1488061617_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

We shall start today with this 6.35 Down Hull.which puzzles me, not so much in its composition but in the order in which it is formed. Here goes.

post-98-0-83045100-1488102754_thumb.jpg

Behind the loco, BZ BG,

post-98-0-24957300-1488102876_thumb.jpg

two MK1 TSOs, nothing out of the ordinary there either.

post-98-0-35327900-1488102938_thumb.jpg

MK1 FK, OK still

post-98-0-87160600-1488102981_thumb.jpg

Then a brake, should be a BSO, but I don't have a loose one yet, so the only cheat in the formation.

post-98-0-73871600-1488103047_thumb.jpg

now the odd bit, RF and FO.

post-98-0-10408800-1488103114_thumb.jpg

and bringing up the rear, another BG.

So, we have an RF and FO sandwiched between two brake vehicles, and with an FK the other side of one of the brakes. Would first class passengers really be expected to pass through brake cars to get to and from the dining accomodation? Any ideas?

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps they did; even the LNER's brake sections were quite smart:

post-31-0-23713700-1488104805.jpg

Although less so I suppose when full of mail bags, parcels, dogs on leads, crates of day old chicks, etc. etc. ... 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning, I'm glad to hear the reasons for your sight problems have been identified, its scarier if there is nothing found.  Welcome to the world of BP meds. There are a lot of different types so if you don't feel well on one, ask to go down another route.  Beta blockers half killed me, made me into a automaton with no mind of my own.  Good GP sorted that out toute de suite.  I don't take anything for Cholesterol, I'm on the verge of total being high, but there is a lot of 'good' version in the mix!

That A3 is Vin Ordinaire for me, single chimney, late tender....love the train though, and that BZ....mmmmmmmyuum.

Not sure I like the sound of those medical issues Gilbert, but glad to hear they can be resolved and hope you're soon feeling better!

Glad they nipped this one early on, Gilbert. You may take a while to find a statin formulation and dosage that agrees with you; don't be afraid to go to your GP if you start to suffer with joint pains. Some statins give you worse ones than others. I had a minor stroke in my early forties, and have been taking them for the last 19 years, gradually decreasing the dosage.

Have they mentioned about taking a low dose aspirin daily? My work doctor reckoned the benefits of this were possibly greater than statins. Ask your GP about this.

High cholestorol levels are partially diet-related, but there is a high genetic component as well. A friend went to his GP for a routine test, and was told that his levels were above the top end of the scale (which went up to 12, IIRC), despite him eating little in the way of meat and dairy, and lots of fruit and veg. In comparison, when I first had a test, in the aftermath of the stroke, I was at about 6.5.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear problem found and resolved Gilbert.  I really don't understand cholesterol as mine is quite high but herself's is very low and she uses butter as a spread which I don't while otherwise we eat much the same.  But cobnversely her Type 2 diabetes is quite a high number while I'm only just over the border, but on the wrong side of 'no need for medication'.  Clots are insidious things and excellent to hear that it has been caught - I've been on warfarin for clot busting for nearly 18 years after spending a week in hospital getting one dissolved.

The formation of the Hull is interesting - did the rescar portion come off somewhere enroute I wonder hence being on the back end (or the front end previously when heading south) and it was done that way for an easy shunt?  The other point is would the correct brake have had a side corridor and cage around the van area?  I can recall walking through a brake van, with a caged area, on a number of occasions in the distant past in order to get to the restaurant car although back then we very definitely weren't travelling in 1st Class.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good to hear problem found and resolved Gilbert.  I really don't understand cholesterol as mine is quite high but herself's is very low and she uses butter as a spread which I don't while otherwise we eat much the same.  But cobnversely her Type 2 diabetes is quite a high number while I'm only just over the border, but on the wrong side of 'no need for medication'.  Clots are insidious things and excellent to hear that it has been caught - I've been on warfarin for clot busting for nearly 18 years after spending a week in hospital getting one dissolved.

The formation of the Hull is interesting - did the rescar portion come off somewhere enroute I wonder hence being on the back end (or the front end previously when heading south) and it was done that way for an easy shunt?  The other point is would the correct brake have had a side corridor and cage around the van area?  I can recall walking through a brake van, with a caged area, on a number of occasions in the distant past in order to get to the restaurant car although back then we very definitely weren't travelling in 1st Class.

Here are the details from the official book, Mike. The BZ came off at Doncaster at 9.42pm, after which TS0 x2, FK and BSO went to Hull, arriving 11.10pm. That doesn't suggest to me that time was tight at Doncaster. The RF/FO went to Leeds FX and Hull FO, and the trailing BG to Leeds, no arrival time given. I suppose as nearly every night the RF/FO went to Leeds the timing for that portion might be tighter, but then would a portion of RC FO BG be sent on as a separate train? I doubt it, as the RC would be locked by then surely, so was this purely an ECS movement to get the catering vehcles where needed the next day? Next duty is shown as the 1145am Leeds-KX (MSK) and 1115am Filey HC- KX (SO). Fascinating.

My vague memories from back then do suggest that one could walk through a brake, but that the contents were indeed caged off, and effectively there was a side corridor as on passenger vehicles. I'm still a bit surprised that first class passengers had to do so though.

• Like 1

We shall start today with this 6.35 Down Hull.which puzzles me, not so much in its composition but in the order in which it is formed. Here goes.

attachicon.gif111 train 1.JPG

Behind the loco, BZ BG,

attachicon.gif111 train 2.JPG

two MK1 TSOs, nothing out of the ordinary there either.

attachicon.gif111 train 3.JPG

MK1 FK, OK still

attachicon.gif111 train 4.JPG

Then a brake, should be a BSO, but I don't have a loose one yet, so the only cheat in the formation.

attachicon.gif111train 5.JPG

now the odd bit, RF and FO.

attachicon.gif111 train 6.JPG

and bringing up the rear, another BG.

So, we have an RF and FO sandwiched between two brake vehicles, and with an FK the other side of one of the brakes. Would first class passengers really be expected to pass through brake cars to get to and from the dining accomodation? Any ideas?

The Gresley RF reminds me of the one at Sheringham on the North Norfolk Railway.

Is there a kit anywhere for a Gresley BG? £40+ for the Hornby model seems a bit excessive.

SVRlad

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, I'm glad to hear the reasons for your sight problems have been identified, its scarier if there is nothing found.  Welcome to the world of BP meds. There are a lot of different types so if you don't feel well on one, ask to go down another route.  Beta blockers half killed me, made me into a automaton with no mind of my own.  Good GP sorted that out toute de suite.  I don't take anything for Cholesterol, I'm on the verge of total being high, but there is a lot of 'good' version in the mix!

That A3 is Vin Ordinaire for me, single chimney, late tender....love the train though, and that BZ....mmmmmmmyuum.

Glad they nipped this one early on, Gilbert. You may take a while to find a statin formulation and dosage that agrees with you; don't be afraid to go to your GP if you start to suffer with joint pains. Some statins give you worse ones than others. I had a minor stroke in my early forties, and have been taking them for the last 19 years, gradually decreasing the dosage.

Have they mentioned about taking a low dose aspirin daily? My work doctor reckoned the benefits of this were possibly greater than statins. Ask your GP about this.

High cholestorol levels are partially diet-related, but there is a high genetic component as well. A friend went to his GP for a routine test, and was told that his levels were above the top end of the scale (which went up to 12, IIRC), despite him eating little in the way of meat and dairy, and lots of fruit and veg. In comparison, when I first had a test, in the aftermath of the stroke, I was at about 6.5.

Thanks chaps. Reassuring to know there is a plan B if necessary. I'll try and make this the last medical bulletin, as I'm sure it is of little interest to some, but one more thing has arisen which may be of interest. I suspect that my high cholesterol may be hereditary, as my mother suffered many strokes during the last few years of her life, and had "unexplained" problems before that. My younger brother, who weighs about nine stone soaking wet, fit as a butcher's whotsit, and plays veteran's tennis at Wimbledon, has already had a mini stroke, and I have a very high reading although I am very exercise and diet conscious. I shall ask the doctor about this next week.

Beta blockers turned me into a zombie, so I shall steer well clear of those!

And now another picture which I overlooked earlier.

post-98-0-80576500-1488110702_thumb.jpg

Front end studies of B1 and A3. For the number crunchers, the A3 is Grantham's 60111 Enterprise, and has already had the Tim treatment to cure the Hornby green. To me, this shot shows perfect proportions, which is why I'm ambivalent about the double chimney, and just don't like the deflectors.

• Like 11

The Gresley RF reminds me of the one at Sheringham on the North Norfolk Railway.

Is there a kit anywhere for a Gresley BG? £40+ for the Hornby model seems a bit excessive.

SVRlad

Ian Kirk used to do some plastic kits, but these seem to have been disappeared.

Comet do some kits, but you'll find the price of the kit is comparable with Hornby's list price. I did pick up a couple of the Hornby ones for a lot less than list, but can't remember who the dealer was (it was at a show). It might be worth having a bit of a search.

In my younger days,having got bored with building vans and opens out of plastic sheet, I built one, along with a Gresley buffet and a Siphon G. Unfortunately, I only know where the last is.

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 2