Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Naughty? Moi? 

attachicon.gifpost-98-0-33445800-1487758624_thumb.jpg

The driver did ask politely, despite being from North Ferriby. Now look what's happened. Complete failure and must be removed at once.

Iva Hugepie.

This confirms my long held suspicion that the duck has a very high IQ. IQ in this case though = Incorrigibility quotient.

• Like 1

No, look it is all very simple really. It is almost always Friday at PN, even when it isn't. It will never be Sunday, even if it is, as Sundays are boring. Saturdays are unlikely, even on Saturdays, as a different timetable is required. No Mondays, as a song taught me years ago that I don't like them. Things may well happen on Tuesdays Wednesdays and Thursdays, but they will all, almost always, be Fridays. For Oz, just add twelve hours or so, or is it subtract? Whichever. If I want to run a special that only ran on a particular day of the week though, all rules go out of the window, and it will become that day for at least as long as it takes the train to get round the layout. Unless of course it is Friday. Don't even think about leap years. All clear now?

G'day Gents

Brilliant, but. In my experience, Monday, Wed and Fri only train, only worked well if there was no Tuesday or Thursday workings as there stock was at the other end of the country on the those days and had to be bought back, but by the time they had arrived, it was the next day and they didn't need them anyway.

And as for timings across the other side of the world, in our winter we are 10.5 hours ahead, in summer, 0nly 8.5 hours in front, or is it the other way round, !!!! bang goes' my 'train' of thought, better go back to Edgware. 

manna

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

G'day Gents

Brilliant, but. In my experience, Monday, Wed and Fri only train, only worked well if there was no Tuesday or Thursday workings as there stock was at the other end of the country on the those days and had to be bought back, but by the time they had arrived, it was the next day and they didn't need them anyway.

And as for timings across the other side of the world, in our winter we are 10.5 hours ahead, in summer, 0nly 8.5 hours in front, or is it the other way round, !!!! bang goes' my 'train' of thought, better go back to Edgware. 

manna

Other way round isn't it?

Anyway, you Croweaters are always behind the times as far as we in the First State are concerned...

There's the story of the chap who bought a ticket at a station out in the middle of nowhere and was about to board the train when the guard stopped him, saying "Your ticket isn't valid. It's for today's train. This is yesterday's train running late". The passenger asked when today's train would arrive - the answer being "Tomorrow".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Other way round isn't it?

Anyway, you Croweaters are always behind the times as far as we in the First State are concerned...

There's the story of the chap who bought a ticket at a station out in the middle of nowhere and was about to board the train when the guard stopped him, saying "Your ticket isn't valid. It's for today's train. This is yesterday's train running late". The passenger asked when today's train would arrive - the answer being "Tomorrow".

The sad thing is though, that the nearer we get to the present day, the more likely it is that a story like that is true.

For the uneducated among us. A "Croweater" is a South Australian.

Just in case you were wondering!!!!!

On a  PN related note - Great picture of 60106 going under crescent bridge Gilbert. A Proper pacific with a proper GN Tender. :) A new favourite for Me.

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Premium

You missed the most obvious sound the type 4s made - WHISTLE!

Apologies, but this was 'post' whistle and just before the elastic band emerged from the side grills, in very many pieces.

Herr Uberband

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies, but this was 'post' whistle and just before the elastic band emerged from the side grills, in very many pieces.

Herr Uberband

Like I said, incorrigible. I bet you have one of those Warship things on SJ, and they weren't even really British.

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Out of hospital now, so back to complaints about some loco classes i.e. my personal prejudices.

Nice A3 shot with the GN tender - I do so like the early emblem, adds a nice bit of colour.

Complain as much as you like, its good to have you back Neil, and I hope things are progressing satisfactorily.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I apologise if I have infiltrated your thread (I'm fairly new to RMweb), but I was wondering - are those A3s modified RTR or kits?

SVRlad

No need to apologise, you are very welcome. Nearly all of my A3s are Hornby, but 60106 is a DJH kit built by Tony Geary, which used to run on Stoke Summit and Charwelton.

• RMweb Premium

Spotlight on 60046 this morning, first seen head on as it rolls into Platform 2.

post-98-0-33265600-1487930372_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-73722600-1487930399_thumb.jpg

and then almost ready to come to a stand, as the N5 pilot prepares to buffer up to Flying Fox's train, and give it a shove on departure. Something to cheer Neil up a bit, I hope.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 17

Spotlight on 60046 this morning,

Just when I thought I had Gresley Pacific Tenders sorted out in my head. :O

Up pops Diamond Jubilee with a High Side Non corridor tender with a Streamlined Front.

For Some reason I had it in my head that all those tenders (with streamlined top fronts) went to A4's. I stand corrected.

A quick look at Yeadons and yes there it was - a Newly Built tender fitted in 1937 and remained with 60046 until withdrawal.

Further research shows that of 23 tenders of this type built between 1936 and 38

- 4 were allocated to P2's 2003 - 2006

- 9 were allocated from new to A4's

-10 were allocated to A1 and A3 (to replace the 10 1928 Corridor types reallocated for a4 use) although 5 of these 10 1937 builds were subsequently transferred to A4's quite quickly.

So 5 of these streamlined tenders stayed with A1/3's for a considerable period of time. (I think !!!!!!!) or in this case - for good. :scratchhead:

So a couple of pictures from Gilbert, gave me several enjoyable hours of research. Which is quite fun.

(Edit for appalling grammar)

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Premium

Up pops Diamond Jubilee with a High Side Non corridor tender with a Streamlined Front.

For Some reason I had it in my head that all those tenders (with streamlined top fronts) went to A4's. I stand corrected.

A quick look at Yeadons and yes there it was - a Newly Built tender fitted in 1937 and remained with 60046 until withdrawal.

Further research shows that of 23 tenders of this type built between 1936 and 38

-10 were allocated to A1 and A3 (to replace the 10 1928 Corridor types reallocated for a4 use) although 5 of these 10 1937 builds were subsequently transferred to A4's quite quickly.

So 5 of these streamlined tenders stayed with A1/3's for a considerable period of time. (I think !!!!!!!) or in this case - for good. :scratchhead:

So a couple of pictures from Gilbert, gave me several enjoyable hours of research. Which is quite fun.

That's correct Ted. In my period the five were attached to Nos 46,58,84, 95 and most famously 103. I fancied one for a bit of variety, but didn't fancy Flying Scotsman as it really is a bit of a cliche. As two of the others were very rarely seen down our way, and 58 wasn't exactly common either, 46 was the only candidate.

That's correct Ted. In my period the five were attached to Nos 46,58,84, 95 and most famously 103. I fancied one for a bit of variety, but didn't fancy Flying Scotsman as it really is a bit of a cliche. As two of the others were very rarely seen down our way, and 58 wasn't exactly common either, 46 was the only candidate.

Thank you Gilbert, your reply also answered my next question nicely.

It's good fun to come across these "out of the ordinary" examples from time to time.

• RMweb Premium

You won't want to I'm sure, however if you think A3 tender allocation is fun then try sorting the ##### Merchant Navy ones. Way back in 1960/1/2 I never even noticed they were different, but then I decided I would have a SR layout based on the WOEML east of Exeter!

Parp.

Edited by Mallard60022