Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking more of the view from the train. The first time I went to London for years I found it hard to impossible to identify station sites, even though I knew where they were. There's a bit of a loading bay to be seen at Corby Glen, and the station building at Little Bytham is there, but rather set back from the line. That lovely goods shed has gone though.

Somewhat oddly so was I. At Corby Glen both the stationmasters house and, I think, the station building are there but much knocked about in the case of the latter.

Tallington has a subtle hint of what was there on the western side of the line, I believe the pub used to be a railway hotel - that would certainly explain a bit about the way it is laid out. Sadly it seems to have closed it's doors about a month ago. I'd tend to agree it is difficult to picture a station there now. There used to be a footbridge north of the road.

At Essendine there is little left, a loading platform on the up side and I know the former station hotel still exists although it closed as a public house over 10 years ago. It was in the process of being sold in December.

At Helpston, although the only station was on the Midland lines the Station Hotel certainly still exists, I know 2 brothers who grew up there as their parents used to own it (it became a private house many years ago). In fact, had my partner known it was being sold by the family she would have bought it .....

Peterborough to Grantham is, apparently, now the longest distance between adjacent stations in England.

Now one I wasn't aware of is Great Ponton, I'm struggling to picture where that was.

• RMweb Premium

Somewhat oddly so was I. At Corby Glen both the stationmasters house and, I think, the station building are there but much knocked about in the case of the latter.

Tallington has a subtle hint of what was there on the western side of the line, I believe the pub used to be a railway hotel - that would certainly explain a bit about the way it is laid out. Sadly it seems to have closed it's doors about a month ago. I'd tend to agree it is difficult to picture a station there now. There used to be a footbridge north of the road.

At Essendine there is little left, a loading platform on the up side and I know the former station hotel still exists although it closed as a public house over 10 years ago. It was in the process of being sold in December.

At Helpston, although the only station was on the Midland lines the Station Hotel certainly still exists, I know 2 brothers who grew up there as their parents used to own it (it became a private house many years ago). In fact, had my partner known it was being sold by the family she would have bought it .....

Peterborough to Grantham is, apparently, now the longest distance between adjacent stations in England.

Now one I wasn't aware of is Great Ponton, I'm struggling to picture where that was.

Great Ponton is very much a case of "blink and you will miss it" particularly at present day seeds. The site of the station is just before the cutting leading up to Stoke tunnel, when travelling in the Up direction. All that identifies it really is the distinctive rock formation on the Up side.

• RMweb Premium

Cough.....Arsenal!

P

Indeed. The end of the road, I think, but a very lucrative one. Mind you, I though that about Burnley too. North Ferriby United first though. a bit like the Emirates, in that it will have goal posts, and presumably some grass on the pitch.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Indeed. The end of the road, I think, but a very lucrative one. Mind you, I though that about Burnley too. North Ferriby United first though. a bit like the Emirates, in that it will have goal posts, and presumably some grass on the pitch.

I'm still waiting for Huddersfield and Man. City to sort out their differences. Amazing that Lincoln have got as far as they have, great result for the club I'm sure.

Cheers

Tony

Hi. I think I'm right in saying that the pilot scheme class 40's were not fitted with those ladders. See this in this link by David Hey:http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page16.htm.

Regards,

Rob.

The photos seem to confirm that ladders were very uncommon; I could only find one image amongst all those, even though the text suggests they were fitted to early examples. What purpose did the ladder serve? I know that on some types, ladders or steps were fitted to access the radiator fillers, but these ones are in the wrong place for that.

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely fantastic, however on the EE Type 4, the buffers and discs could use the attentions of the Spitrit Level.

Best Regards

Ian

Driver not accustomed to them yet, you see, and gave those hydraulic buffer stops at Kings Cross one hell of a whack, thus shaking everything about a bit.

• RMweb Premium

Would you like something different? Flying Fox arrives with the train for which Pommern's was the Friday only relief. This means of course that it is still Friday, even though it is Tuesday. This is the 6.20pm Down Leeds, with portions for 'ull and 'alifax.

post-98-0-97962400-1487715751_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Would you like something different? Flying Fox arrives with the train for which Pommern's was the Friday only relief. This means of course that it is still Friday, even though it is Tuesday. This is the 6.20pm Down Leeds, with portions for 'ull and 'alifax.

106 1.JPG

Early crest?

• RMweb Premium

G'day Gents

Flying Fox is running well late, Wednesday here in Oz......

manna

No, look it is all very simple really. It is almost always Friday at PN, even when it isn't. It will never be Sunday, even if it is, as Sundays are boring. Saturdays are unlikely, even on Saturdays, as a different timetable is required. No Mondays, as a song taught me years ago that I don't like them. Things may well happen on Tuesdays Wednesdays and Thursdays, but they will all, almost always, be Fridays. For Oz, just add twelve hours or so, or is it subtract? Whichever. If I want to run a special that only ran on a particular day of the week though, all rules go out of the window, and it will become that day for at least as long as it takes the train to get round the layout. Unless of course it is Friday. Don't even think about leap years. All clear now?

• RMweb Premium

So here we are on Wednesday, but if you have been paying attention you will know that it is still Friday. There is still one more diesel moment to go

post-98-0-33445800-1487758624_thumb.jpg

but we also have another nice A3 portrait for those that prefer steam.

post-98-0-38727100-1487758700_thumb.jpg

Actually, it doesn't matter what day it is really, as both of these trains ran every day.....except Saturdays and Sundays of course. :jester:

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert, I don't know whether you follow or are aware of the WTTReprinter site, but he's just added the M & GN carriage workings for 1958 to the site.

Thanks for posting that link Jonathan, it looks very interesting and I may have to order a WTT or two.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, I don't know whether you follow or are aware of the WTTReprinter site, but he's just added the M & GN carriage workings for 1958 to the site.

No, I wasn't aware of that site Jonathan, so many thanks for alerting me. It looks very interesting. In addition to the M&GN workings there is a WTT for Peterborough East. It is for summer 1953, but things didn't change much, so I might get some good stuff from that too.