Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

No it's me - it was the down, not the up - mea culpa :fool:

Ah well, we all do it. That does indeed mean a failure, I think, and probably a replacement at Berwick from Tweedmouth shed, though there were some V2s there, which i think would be the preferred option.

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely loving following your thread Gilbert, could almost turn me to this side of the country - keep the pictures coming. In fact it is only when you say that you've not bothered with photoshop that I actually notice the background ....

Edited by Richard E

• RMweb Premium

This was certainly an up service, and the B1 came in from the South, and departed to Glasgow.  However, I suspect that it hadn't come all that far - perhaps Newcastle.  Some ofmMy noteboooks are long long since vanished as has my combined volume for that era.  I once saw the A1 come off at Edinburgh and the service continued to Queen Street behind a B1. 

During the 50s, depending on the diagrams from year to year, the Up and Down Queen of Scots services between Edinburgh and Glasgow were more often than not worked by B1s from Haymarket and Eastfield. The up and down Q. of S. between The Waverley and Newcastle was a Haymarket diagrammed turn with their many different classes of pacifics. I hope that this is of interest.

Now now, gentlemen. Remember that this is an understanding and all embracing thread, where even those things that all look the same which used to inhabit the western part of our isles are treated with tolerance and sympathy. :jester:

Ooh you are naughty!

Sympathy.......

:-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Love your second shot of the engineers stores (or whatever).

Always like those secret out-of-the-way places that the railways in the 1950s/60s had in abundance.

Yes, I agree. There is something about that area, a real atmosphere. It has come out well, considering that most of it wasn't in the original plan at all.

• RMweb Premium
Now now, gentlemen. Remember that this is an understanding and all embracing thread, where even those things that all look the same which used to inhabit the western part of our isles are treated with tolerance and sympathy.  :jester:

Sorry G but we can prove that they were not. There are even books to illustrate it!

W. Stanier & H.A. Ivatt.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Sorry G but we can prove that they were not. There are even books to illustrate it!

W. Stanier & H.A. Ivatt.

Those were not the CMEs I had in mind Phil. Nor was that nice Mr Bulleid, who had a very sound upbringing indeed. However, my tongue was at all times fully in cheek, for which I can find no emoticon.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

G'day Gents

I've heard that Black fives were a pretty good shunter............

Well yes, that's a good use for one as well as working the Royal Scot vice a Class 40 and almost keeping time - see Ron Herbert's The Working Railway books for chapter and verse. 

Hurlford once pinched a 12A Black 5 to work the Darvel branch pickup goods so lots of shunting there, and it derailed in the yard at Newmilns, which must have casued consternation as it was stranded there for a day and no doubt was needed for its own duties.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those were not the CMEs I had in mind Phil. Nor was that nice Mr Bulleid, who had a very sound upbringing indeed. However, my tongue was at all times fully in cheek, for which I can find no emoticon.

There's no need to name the great one - we all (well I) knew exactly who and what you meant.  And we did send that nice Mr Cook up to Doncaster in BR days to sort out a certain recurrent problem with big ends ;)  (although I do think a copper capped chimney on a V2 didn't really look right and probably wasn't a good idea)

• Like 1

Now now, gentlemen. Remember that this is an understanding and all embracing thread, where even those things that all look the same which used to inhabit the western part of our isles are treated with tolerance and sympathy. :jester:

If you are referring to those dull things which they tried to make more interesting by fitting them with copper tops to their chimneys - yes, we can tolerate them - yes, we can sympathise with their deluded fans - but no, we can't get to like them.

We know what we like - and many of them had three cylinders.

Chaz

• Like 1

If you are referring to those dull things which they tried to make more interesting by fitting them with copper tops to their chimneys - yes, we can tolerate them - yes, we can sympathise with their deluded fans - but no, we can't get to like them.

We know what we like - and many of them had three cylinders.

Chaz

Now that's either one too many, or one too few.

Cheers,

BR(W).

• Like 2