Peterborough North

great northern

There is a website somewhere (can't find it at the mo) with color pictures of LNER carriage interiors, a real boon to modellers. This Gresley open interior nearest the camera was done in daubs of off-white, tan and brown to represent the moquete seats...

post-6680-0-27491900-1403631734.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 11

How DO these retired folk manage to make themselves so busy?

Hi Gilbert

Very nice photos, I especially like the third photo with the bus in the back ground going over Crescent Bridge.

Please keep them coming.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

How DO these retired folk manage to make themselves so busy?

Chasing little white balls. Recovering from chasing same. Practicing in a futile attempt to hit the little ******** straight. Going for chiropractic/massage to have the damage I have done to my back while messing up all of the above put right. Running trains, but getting distracted by photography, then spending far too much time photoshopping the results. Preparing meals - if I don't do it no-one else will. Weekly visit to TW in the hope of learning how to do modelling properly. Bit of eating and stuff like that, oh, and shopping when I have too. Blimey! It's a wonder I have time to get any sleep.

just one featured train, the 1040 KX- Grantham, not a particularly important service, as evidenced by the fact that it has taken 2 hours and forty minutes to cover 76 miles.

I'm pretty certain GN that you have featured the very train that my father has told me about! As a young lad living in the London suburbs post-war, he occasionally made the journey to stay with family relatives living in Little Bytham and he was put on this train at King's Cross by his parents (as a direct service) to be subsequently met off the train by his uncle and cousin some hours later. He has told me that it would often be an A4. This would be approx. 10 years earlier than your era but services like this were often of a 'time-honoured' nature so there was obviously an equivalent service in the late 1940's (as indeed there was pre-war).

On arrival at Little Bytham, he and his cousin would spend most of their time trainspotting - the newer pacifics being of interest from the point of view of underlining the ABC, but the Gresley machines were always the stars!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We shall have another short quizz.  Yesterday I had a very welcome guest - a very talented forum member. Any ideas of identity, based solely on the clue below?

post-98-0-07651400-1404293068_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-15833700-1404293089_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-45095400-1404293108_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-83089000-1404293134_thumb.jpg

What a lovely little engine! I was almost tempted. I keep telling Tetleys that one of these is a must for his new layout.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Sandside?

Spot on gentlemen. Award yourselves a virtual banana,(or other fruit of your choice). We had a great day, and I now have an invitation to visit Bacup too. Oh, and Tim is here also. What he has been up to the last few months will be revealed later. It's very posh, and I don't mean Peterborough United FC.

Spot on gentlemen. Award yourselves a virtual banana,(or other fruit of your choice). We had a great day, and I now have an invitation to visit Bacup too. Oh, and Tim is here also. What he has been up to the last few months will be revealed later. It's very posh, and I don't mean Peterborough United FC.

:sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Ha! The perils of still having a day job! As soon as I saw the Lanky I assumed it was Jason... but work meant I didn't see the question until it was already answered. I have to say that 2-4-2T looks lovely on any layout... rule 1........ :)

Though I should also add, that (almost) any loco would look lovely on PN!

Neil

Back from a highly enjoyable (and busy!) couple of days.  The "something posh" has been a labour of love for the past few months and will be revealed when Gilbert's processed the pictures (I have a load of my own for future use).

What a fantastic day I had; great layout, great people, great lunch, great everything.

Thanks again Gilbert :)

Jason, it was great to catch up again (two months doesn't seem long!) and I did rather like that radial tank of yours (a lot!). :)

Cheers,

Tim