Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, great northern said:

IMG_9548.JPG.b6f1c1c815c614dd2a933bbef30a663d.JPG

The grass is not usually this long, but the big gang mower hasn't been able to get on here for quite a while. Is there anywhere better than our country in the spring?

No Clive you are not allowed to say how nice it is of the staff to let Gilbert have a walk around the asylum grounds on his own. 

The photo is of one of the pagodas that were in the grounds of the former hospital that was on the site close to where Gilbert resides.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3
  • Funny 8

Just a thought....

I have somewhere pics showing 10800 (recently modelled by Heljan), around Pb East station. Obviously working from the LMR, but which route? Would this be a possible candidate for PN?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Just a thought....

I have somewhere pics showing 10800 (recently modelled by Heljan), around Pb East station. Obviously working from the LMR, but which route? Would this be a possible candidate for PN?

I have seen pics of it at East too, but never one at North. From what I've read  it was used on the East to Northampton and Rugby trains. So far as I am concerned, there it shall remain. You will gather I am not in the slightest bit tempted.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, great northern said:

I keep trying to find new angles for you, but often they don't really work. I suspect this is one of them

8both.JPG.618a9736bb9e58156273cf6cc88134ba.JPG

The next one was rather hopeful too, given the glare fron the windows. Did black and white save it?

11027.JPG.97aef2499662afd57be3230ed29501ce.JPG

It does look quite atmospheric. Pictures of a goodie later.

I agree that the first one doesn't really work. The second, however, looks just like the sort of black-and-white photo from the 50s that our parents took.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I agree that the first one doesn't really work. The second, however, looks just like the sort of black-and-white photo from the 50s that our parents took.

Thank you, that is really pleasing, as it was just what I was trying to achieve. I took plenty like that back in the late 50s/early sixties too!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

Why this, you may wonder?  Leicester Midland shed, 15C, had this one and 42331, and they seem to have spent quite a lot of time on the Leicester- East trains, so it is ideal, really. Nice to have another tank engine to look at too.

The Fowler 2-6-4T was, by all acounts, a very good and useful engine class. Buxton shed had a number of these tanks for the Stockport/Manchester London Road services which I regularly use but now served by 150's and London Road has become Piccadilly. The weathering is very, very good. Enjoy Gilbert!

Kind regards,

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 30368 said:

The Fowler 2-6-4T was, by all acounts, a very good and useful engine class. Buxton shed had a number of these tanks for the Stockport/Manchester London Road services which I regularly use but now served by 150's and London Road has become Piccadilly. The weathering is very, very good. Enjoy Gilbert!

Kind regards,

More on Buxton tanks here:

http://manlocosoc.co.uk/f264.html

They also worked to Manchester via Peak Forest alongside Buxton's 4-4-0s.

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/05/2024 at 18:51, great northern said:

A visit by Timara today, bearing a goodie, which will be revealed tomorrow. Tonight our next train is another Skeggy bound, this one originating from Hertford and Hitchin. A Hitchin B1 provides the motive power.

610271.JPG.73a82d839221174860c539313f762e5a.JPG

Before the B1 could come through, that K2 had to get its stock off the main and into the bay, which it did, and where it now rests.

717662.JPG.9edaca8520aef383a5905cc40243c0a4.JPG

I do like a K2 , a very well proportioned and useful engine - with much more charm than a B1.

Regards

Chris H

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, mullie said:

Has the 4mt left for the M&GN, have I missed it?

At least one of us likes to see them. 

Martyn

Erm... yes, it has gone. Perhaps the photographer got distracted for a few minutes. I'll ask him, or her, to pay more attention next time. There's another one due in about half an hour.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, 30368 said:

Kind regards,

They were apparently well liked by some of the crews on the LT&S section as well, despite that line being mainly the stomping ground of the more “ modern” Staniers and Standard 2-6-4s. Looks like it must have been all-rounder.

• Like 1