Peterborough North

great northern

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Not difficult to identify this morning's featured train.

803206673_61051.JPG.d170a77206369dc5248952da1791d06a.JPG

Headboard on straight too, whatever next. Victor Wild is getting very high on the list for some Timming. "Timaraing" doesn't have the same ring. We have a wonky lamp though, of course.

1242680512_71052.JPG.6197aa8496905dc973ca50ff8c1da1b3.JPG

“ Timaraing “ sounds like a great name for an A3. It fits in so well with names like Sansovino , Issinglass , and Solario, I bet most of us wouldn’t have noticed if you said it was 60113 Timaraing, named after the 1873 Derby winner 

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Modellers licence, like so many other things in toy train world !

You were a bit unlucky though, as the winner of the 1873 Derby was called Doncaster, and that would be very high up indeed on the LNER's list of names.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, great northern said:

You were a bit unlucky though, as the winner of the 1873 Derby was called Doncaster, and that would be very high up indeed on the LNER's list of names.

Yes I know. After I plucked the date out of the air and posted it the year did ring a bell with me so I double checked and yes it was Doncaster.  In fact I was half tempted to quote some obscure shed allocation but I guessed that would undoubtedly send some digging out there old Ian Allan’s!

If we can get back to the serious stuff now do you happen to know if any of the B1’s on the Cleethorpes or Grimsby expresses returned the same day . Technically there would be enough time for one of two of the early expresses to be serviced and return with a later train, but the round trip would be very good loco utilisation, better than a lot of Pacific’s in fact,

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jazzer said:

Yes I know. After I plucked the date out of the air and posted it the year did ring a bell with me so I double checked and yes it was Doncaster.  In fact I was half tempted to quote some obscure shed allocation but I guessed that would undoubtedly send some digging out there old Ian Allan’s!

If we can get back to the serious stuff now do you happen to know if any of the B1’s on the Cleethorpes or Grimsby expresses returned the same day . Technically there would be enough time for one of two of the early expresses to be serviced and return with a later train, but the round trip would be very good loco utilisation, better than a lot of Pacific’s in fact,

I'm as certain as I can be that both returned the same day. Photos seem to confirm that as does my memory from the time. I'm sure the Immingham and Boston men involved would have preferred not to be lodging overnight, and so would the authorities.The Saturday extras I'm not so sure, but I reckon they would have been out and back workings too.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, johndon said:

I thought viewers of this thread might appreciate this photo which appeared on Flickr today:

52693101144_a8423367b8_h.jpg60862 at Peterborough (pjs,1341) by Geoff Dowling, on Flickr

I am confused, there seems to be some metal bars between the MR lines and the GNR ones that are not on Gilbert's wonderful layout. Any ideas as to what they are or were they temporary and just left lying about for a while?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am confused, there seems to be some metal bars between the MR lines and the GNR ones that are not on Gilbert's wonderful layout. Any ideas as to what they are or were they temporary and just left lying about for a while?

I suspect that you are not confused at all, but may just be indulging in naughtiness. I nearly typed "again", after that, but I restrained myself.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Clive,

Its point rodding and signal wires!  Are you volunteering to install it?

Paul

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, great northern said:

I suspect that you are not confused at all, but may just be indulging in naughtiness. I nearly typed "again", after that, but I restrained myself.

Quoi, moi?

6 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Clive,

Its point rodding and signal wires!  Are you volunteering to install it?

Paul

Quoi, moi?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

According to the description of the V2 photo, your UFO is a high speed pigeon!

Should we presume the Patented levitation device is a pigeon trained to use a camera?

Hat, Coat, Gone

Paul

I hadn't read the description Paul, and so proceeded on the modern basis of mindless speculation without a shred of supporting evidence. Could have been a pigeon from Mars though, I suppose.

• Funny 3