Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shots of the W1 Gilbert, given my era is ‘52-53 it looks somewhat cleaner on my layout.  Perhaps just after shopping?  It’s probably a little late for me but I do like it.

2EF59186-39B9-4A02-ACAF-0E5A404CD02A.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I did like the pictures of both models of the rebuilt "Hush-Hush". That locomotive was responsible for Arthur Alexander Holmes - my paternal grandfather - doing one special shift a little while after he had retired from being a signalman at Westwood Junction Box.

My father recorded the event in the family history he wrote in the late 1970s -

"Not long after Arthur retired there was an accident at Westwood which concerned the rebuilt “Hush-Hush” locomotive which failed to find favour with Gresley and was rebuilt in the style of an A4 on its original chassis with four trailing wheels instead of the normal two – arranged as 4-6-2-2. This engine with an experimental high pressure boiler was built in 1930 and numbered 10000. When the accident happened the engine was numbered 60700 and classified W1.

It seems that something strange happened, possibly as a result of the unusual trailing wheel arrangement just as the train was going North under Westwood bridge; the engine was derailed and appeared to throw itself at the signal box coming to a stop at the bottom of the steps. (The reason was actually a fatigue crack failure of the leading bogie frame. The similar leading bogie frames on the A4s were then checked and found to have similar cracks, which were repaired before there were any more incidents).

A passerby told Arthur about this soon after it happened while he was working in his back garden. He cycled off to have a look and found the signalman on duty suffering from shock, so took charge of the box operating the clear lines until the next signalman came on duty. The railway authorities sent him a pleasant letter of thanks and a cheque for the appropriate amount of pay for the time he was at the box."

So the two models are before and after the derailment and subsequent heavy repairs.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, great northern said:

I think there's a large element of personal preference here Tony, apart from the fact that my skill and knowledge levels are far below yours, and my idleness quota far above. I certainly wouldn't spend that long on one image. If I found myself going that way it would be filed under "too difficult", and later erased.

My preference is for atmosphere, if I can get it, rather than the best possible image, which I'm not capable of doing anyway, so if there are shadows and imperfections, so be it. It is 1958, after all, so even my Mum's pre war Rolliecord, if she would let me use it, wouldn't produce great results, and that's before we even think about photos of moving locos.

Light conditions are a big factor too, as shown by the images below. The first of 60065 was taken when you were here, but into the afternoon, so we had lights on.

1782008206_465.JPG.35ab017b013730d82a0869bd71d62482.JPG

The next day I went up again, but earlier and with the benefit of full sunlight, and got this, which I much prefer.

273740380_1651.JPG.23dba3c1406823514505b31c0f961ead.JPG

though I think I could have muted the colour balance a little more. For those who like to follow events, this is the 2.45 Hull-KX. I actually checked this with the WTT after typing it, as it seemed a very long time for the journey, but no, it is correct. Left Hull 2.45, arrived Doncaster 4.14, a six minute stop there, three minutes at Retford, another five at Grantham, where I suspect a loco change took place, and finally rolled in to PN at 6.04, if on time. Arrive KX 7.40, just under five hours from Hull!

I'd be interested to see other people's preferences regarding those two images please.

I definitely prefer the second image Gilbert,

I wasn't being critical of your pictures; some are remarkably-realistic indeed.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

I think there's a large element of personal preference here Tony, apart from the fact that my skill and knowledge levels are far below yours, and my idleness quota far above. I certainly wouldn't spend that long on one image. If I found myself going that way it would be filed under "too difficult", and later erased.

My preference is for atmosphere, if I can get it, rather than the best possible image, which I'm not capable of doing anyway, so if there are shadows and imperfections, so be it. It is 1958, after all, so even my Mum's pre war Rolliecord, if she would let me use it, wouldn't produce great results, and that's before we even think about photos of moving locos.

Light conditions are a big factor too, as shown by the images below. The first of 60065 was taken when you were here, but into the afternoon, so we had lights on.

The next day I went up again, but earlier and with the benefit of full sunlight, and got this, which I much prefer.

though I think I could have muted the colour balance a little more. For those who like to follow events, this is the 2.45 Hull-KX. I actually checked this with the WTT after typing it, as it seemed a very long time for the journey, but no, it is correct. Left Hull 2.45, arrived Doncaster 4.14, a six minute stop there, three minutes at Retford, another five at Grantham, where I suspect a loco change took place, and finally rolled in to PN at 6.04, if on time. Arrive KX 7.40, just under five hours from Hull!

I'd be interested to see other people's preferences regarding those two images please.

Hi Gilbert

I find it interesting reading your comments on photography lighting on your Peterborough North Layout.

I have a similar problem but with a different outcome, the room I have Haymarket in has just one bay window facing South West and it’s located at the wrong end of the layout to make the situation worse.

This means I cannot get any decent coloured photos during natural daylight hours, so I have had two rows of LED down lighters installed with light tracks positioned either side of the baseboards with Natural Daylight LED’s in each light fitting.

The light fittings slide along the two  lighting tracks which means I can position them anywhere alone the track length I want or remove them altogether from one track to the other so I can boost the lighting to the side of the layout I’m photographing at the time.

I only photograph when it’s dark outside but I do find that the colour looks so much more natural and the photos are a big improvement over any daylight photos I take.

Lighting apart your photos are still exceptional. 

Regards

David

0F7937E5-E170-422E-8C1F-BC829D612670.jpeg

Edited by landscapes
Photo added
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

I find it interesting reading your comments on photography lighting on your Peterborough North Layout.

I have a similar problem but with a different outcome, the room I have Haymarket in has just one bay window facing South West and it’s located at the wrong end of the layout to make the situation worse.

This means I cannot get any decent coloured photos during natural daylight hours, so I have had two rows of LED down lighters installed with light tracks positioned either side of the baseboards with Natural Daylight LED’s in each light fitting.

The light fittings slide along the two  lighting tracks which means I can position them anywhere alone the track length I want or remove them altogether from one track to the other so I can boost the lighting to the side of the layout I’m photographing at the time.

I only photograph when it’s dark outside but I do find that the colour looks so much more natural and the photos are a big improvement over any daylight photos I take.

Lighting apart your photos are still exceptional. 

Regards

David

0F7937E5-E170-422E-8C1F-BC829D612670.jpeg

Thank you David. Thought provoking.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, great northern said:

Second for me.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Hopefully happy holidymakers return home from Skegness to resume their normal lives in Hertford and Hitchin. Hitchin is 61027's home too.

1284554058_11027and7776.JPG.a505b305eae39d07b37f94f9c3d8c6fa.JPG

I have a CGW front numberplate for the B1, much better than the huge thing it has now. All I have to do is find it. Next is a view I haven't tried before, and which I think works rather well. What do you think?

111191782_21027side.JPG.fefe3e4e71a06939b169309034c90b34.JPG

Hi Gilbert

A very nice angle, but my only comment would be to crop out some of the track work in the foreground.

As good as the trackwork is to me it just slightly dominates the photo.

I do have a similar problem with Haymarket, the only difference is due to the layout design I cannot avoid having running lines in the foreground unless I produce a high level (Birds Eye View) photo.

This is a suggestion and in no way a criticism of your layout or photography skills.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Additional comment