Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Presumably it didn't change 'identity' at any time? It did happen! 

P

We don't think so Phil. It will have had several boiler changes in its life, so different types of smokebox door, for example, are quite common. The lighting gear though was attached to the frames. Also, if such things did happen I would expect to see other locos acquiring the gear too, and some which had it when built losing it later on, but I can't find any evidence of either. The full equipment was attached to the tender too, so that would have had to be changed as well. There's no record of any B1 identity swops such as happened with well documented cases elsewhere either.

Tim thinks it may have been fitted as a trial before approval for the later engines, and that seems a good possibility to me, but if so it doesn't seem to have been noted on official records, which Willie Yeadon worked from.

Anyway, it was regularly seen at PN, and Colour Rail had a picture taken at Hitchin in April 58, and I have one taken by Vic Fincham at PN in 59, so that's enough for me. There are other photos too in various albums.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 03/08/2022 at 10:22, great northern said:

Very nearly, in fact so close as to get the prize, if there  was one.

61075 was one of the large batch built by North British Loco in LNER days. All were in traffic by the end of 1947, and none had electric lighting. In fact the next batch from Vulcan Foundry didn't have it either, and everything I have read previously said that it was only fitted from 61190 onwards. That was the start of North British's next batch.

However, by the late 50s 61075 did have full lighting, as evidenced by several photographs. This is not mentioned in the books where one might expect to find it, there is no mention in RCTS 2B, nor in Yeadon. I can find no other photographic evidence or indeed written evidence of any other of these earlier engines having been fitted, so 1075 does appear to have been unique. When and why it was fitted, I do not know.

I have often wondered about electric lights. It seems probably a case of one department not knowing what another was doing.  After the Golden Arrow was stopped a number of times in the early 1950’ s due to lamps blowing out at speed ( apparently only on the Britannias) one would think that serious efforts at electric lighting would be made but the Southern rectified the problem by fitting modified lamp irons and strangely there seems to be no record of the Brits or any other class for that matter having regular problems with lights blowing out on other regions. 

As far as I can tell electric lights seem to be something confined to certain ER express passenger classes only but oil lamps seem to have been regulation headlights to the end of steam, so why electric lights were fitted remains a puzzle.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, great northern said:

Another famous express is our next sighting. Wild Swan has come from Newcastle with the Flying Scotsman.

I really like the second picture 60021- very steam railway with the water tank and columns and that signage that I, and many others I'm sure, can remember.

A very minor point, the walkway needs some weathering down the sides or more ballast to cover same. The A4 though looks really great and very clean so Kings Cross shed has been busy.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 30368 said:

I really like the second picture 60021- very steam railway with the water tank and columns and that signage that I, and many others I'm sure, can remember.

A very minor point, the walkway needs some weathering down the sides or more ballast to cover same. The A4 though looks really great and very clean so Kings Cross shed has been busy.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Can't get the staff, that's the problem. Only paint the bits they think  can be seen.😁 The A4 had been on the Elizabethan quite recently, so we assumed that most of the shine would still be there.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Herbert Nigel said:

The nice lady in the spotted dress reappears (but seems to have a very nasty bruise on her leg)!

I am afraid that it may be a tattoo!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Herbert Nigel said:

The nice lady in the spotted dress reappears (but seems to have a very nasty bruise on her leg)!

I have asked for a female employee to go and see her, but in the end had to do so myself. I had forgotten that she does have a very thin pin attaching her to the platform, so when I had to pick her up to see what was going on some cursing took place, as I could not find the very small hole into which she needed to be reinserted. She is now back where she belongs. And the mark the camera saw? You will not be surprised to hear that it is tiny, which is why I had to disturb her, as from normal viewing distance I couldn't see anything at all.

I had suspected that stupid porter, as he is very careless in what he does with that trolley when he moves around, but I think he is probably not guilty this time.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6