Peterborough North

great northern

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Whoops there is a T26 preserved, I forgot.

That case a 1500 as built.

I would have had either a T26 if it hadn’t been preserved, but I go with the 1500 as well.  I have this lovely mental image of  them from an old book someone gave me years ago. There was a picture of a 1500 at Liverpool St and the caption read “ We remember these taking boat trains to Harwich on a storming wet night. How rarely they were late ! “  Somehow that captured my imagination, picturing man and machine battling the elements to arrive on time  as a routine part of railway service. Sadly , Boat Trains to Harwich are a thing of the past, replaced by soul- less electrics twice an hour.

Anyway, a 1500 is my vote as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, great northern said:

A third look at Green Arrow tonight, as it waits for the off.

1972097726_1800.JPG.df9286ae54d5047ebb7777368006b665.JPG

Remarkable engines the V2’s. I couldn’t tell from the pictures how many coaches but it looked a relatively heavy train, possibly around 350 tons . The V2 was expected to get it to KX on Pacific timings, 82 minutes for the 76 miles.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Remarkable engines the V2’s. I couldn’t tell from the pictures how many coaches but it looked a relatively heavy train, possibly around 350 tons . The V2 was expected to get it to KX on Pacific timings, 82 minutes for the 76 miles.

12 on, 396 tons according to the official record. They certainly did a lot of express work, particularly at weekends, much to the disappointment of small boys. The new Bachmann model will be a game changer so far as I am concerned, and will make the Saturday timetable I've been thinking about for years much more feasible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Overwhelming result of the GE poll was that a Claud in original form should have been preserved. There might have been practical difficulties with that, as so many alterations took place, but never mind, and we shall consider the rebuilt engines when we come to the post grouping period.

Today, the Great Central Railway. Plenty to choose from here.

• RMweb Premium

Now the result of the M&GN poll. This was conducted by me in private, as its locomotives may not be familiar to many people. Here is the winner.

D53.jpg.33a2424dccf60d737c9ae7b02a809f95.jpg

What a lovely little engine. Those who are well up on that delightfully idiosyncratic railway are hereby invited to nominate alternative candidiates.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, great northern said:

Today, the Great Central Railway. Plenty to choose from here.

Well, call me biased if you like, but given the deep significance of the name:

6165.jpg.98f0c9d1ad7790012d033d7e7e7357f6.jpg

(photo courtesy of Tony Wright)

Just in case - LNER B3 (GCR 9P)

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I’m not voting for 4-6-0s in any of these polls. Too boring and too many preserved already. And, whisper it quietly, I’m not a great fan of the Robinson long splasher type styling. So for me it’s a choice between an Atlantic and an A5. I can’t choose between the Atlantics, so I’ll go for the tank.

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Now the result of the M&GN poll. This was conducted by me in private, as its locomotives may not be familiar to many people. Here is the winner.

D53.jpg.33a2424dccf60d737c9ae7b02a809f95.jpg

What a lovely little engine. Those who are well up on that delightfully idiosyncratic railway are hereby invited to nominate alternative candidiates.

Would have enjoyed an M&GN poll, some lovely designs. Can't argue with your choice.

Martyn

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Woodcock29 said:

Clive there is an O4 preserved as part of the National collection. It's about to be overhauled at Loughborough again.

59 minutes ago, great northern said:

We aren't doing diesel shunters Clive. And there is a preserved 04 (steam variety).:mosking:

See told you when you done the Meandering Somewhere and Lost Railway I was clueless on that and when it became the johnny come lately railway.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

For the ex GCR classes, my vote goes to the impressive big passenger tank locos - the 9N (LNER A5) 4-6-2T - not least because they both worked Met Line trains north of Rickmansworth in the 1930s and also fast suburban workings out of Kings Cross!

Regarding the "Muddle & Go Nowhere" locos - and I can remember seeing the trains going over the top of the ECML on the "Rhubarb Bridge" [now A47] just north of New England - my vote would have gone for one of the very pretty Hudswell Clarke built Class B 4-4-0Ts. A very stylish "Gentleman's Light Sporting Locomotive"! - Mr Marriott's favourite was No 20 for running his inspection saloon.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
Spellings x2
  • Like 2