Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I could nominate Wainwright's S class, thereby giving us all an excuse to run our Tri-ang clockwork saddle tanks, but that would be silly. Instead, I'll pick the Stirling R1, thereby giving us all an excuse to run our Hornby-Dublo 0-6-0 tanks...

• RMweb Premium

Today I will vote for the L class.  Mr Clayton in charge of the drawing, having previously employed by the Midland Railway, managed to combine the lovely sweeping splashers of the previous D and E class with the purposeful looking Belpaire boiler similar to those fitted to Mr Deeley's locomotives of his former employer. Visually compatible with Mr Deeley's rebuilding of Mr Johnson's 4-4-0 locomotives without superheating.

His later involvement with the rebuilding of the D and E classes to D1 and E1 and the later L1 locos followed the lines of Mr Folwer's (later Sir Henry Fowler) rebuilding of Mr Johnson's 4-4-0s with superheaters which resulted in nice looking locomotives but not quite as attractive as the L class of locomotives.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I'm afraid that I have even less idea than yesterday of what you lot are going on about. But it is a nice livery, for sure:

CIMG5219.JPG

I will go for the L class as well  but if the beautiful H class hadn’t been preserved on the Bluebell Railway it would win hands down for me.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

A bit confusing, all these Js Ks Ls, plus some Es and Rs, but L came out on top with 4 votes.

And so to the London and South Western Railway. And another reminder that we are looking for the most glaring omission from preservation.

I'll go for a Paddlebox, which was T14 (I think).

• Like 1