Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, great northern said:

Another tied poll, Claughton and George 5th 3-3.

Continuing to the North, we reach the Caledonian Railway, and some nice blue things.

The singles for me please Gilbert and a homage to the Tri-ang model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Single no.123 is preserved - but then there are a lot of smart and well respected types of 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 locos that have all gone.

However, I too will vote for the Class 944 4-6-2Ts, yet another very smart and capable large tank loco.

Regards

Chris H

Oooops! Doh!

Sorry Gilbert, Cardean for me then please.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, great northern said:

I had a sore arm for a few hours after the jab, and was very tired for several days, but really nothing to worry about.

Sounds a bit like a flu jab, which may be because there are some similarities.  Glad you are ok.

Can we have more of Rothesay? I have just bought Bill Hoole's biography and he was the driver in 1947 ? leaving Edinburgh on the up fast and Rothesay derailed the rear axle of the front bogie in short tunnel at 70mph and went 110 metres destroying track the eventually engine turned on its side and under a bridge and he survived, the poor fireman didn't. 11-on, no passengers killed.

In any event I am having a Thompson craze.

Well, it's not going to 'win' but, with a healthy degree of bias, I'm going to nominate a Pickersgill 4-4-0, the last in the line (I believe?) of the classic CR 4-4-0 types. I think the ones before were called the Dunalistairs (did I get that right?).

Anyway, nominating the type 'cos ...

Pickersgill.jpg.da5efc1fc850b77c56bbf87224e46953.jpg

I built one! Or, more precisely, finished off one that a modelling friend once started. Scratchbuilt, to boot.

Some of the last members of the class (included this one) lasted until 1960 and this loco and sister 54486 were specially tarted up for some filming for the BBC Railway Roundabout series. Although the Scottish Region deserves a lot of credit for saving other similar locos, wouldn't it have been great if this had been one of them? (Although the Caley 'single' is indeed a lovely survivor)

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, it's not going to 'win' but, with a healthy degree of bias, I'm going to nominate a Pickersgill 4-4-0, the last in the line (I believe?) of the classic CR 4-4-0 types. I think the ones before were called the Dunalistairs (did I get that right?).

Anyway, nominating the type 'cos ...

Pickersgill.jpg.da5efc1fc850b77c56bbf87224e46953.jpg

I built one! Or, more precisely, finished off one that a modelling friend once started. Scratchbuilt, to boot.

Some of the last members of the class (included this one) lasted until 1960 and this loco and sister 54486 were specially tarted up for some filming for the BBC Railway Roundabout series. Although the Scottish Region deserves a lot of credit for saving other similar locos, wouldn't it have been great if this had been one of them? (Although the Caley 'single' is indeed a lovely survivor)

That's a great choice. I think there is a "nearly Dunalistair" preserved in Belgium. They had a few substantially similar locos there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Difficult decision on this poll. Cardean got 4 votes to Wemyss Bay tanks 3...... but as Clive has been making the rules ever more flexible, what if I was to say that Graham's suggestion of the lovely Pickersgill 4.4.0s won, on account of the fact that the photo he put up got 5 likes?  No? Oh alright then.

To the dry side today, and the North British Railway. I wonder what Clive can dream up this time?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, robmcg said:

Sounds a bit like a flu jab, which may be because there are some similarities.  Glad you are ok.

Can we have more of Rothesay? I have just bought Bill Hoole's biography and he was the driver in 1947 ? leaving Edinburgh on the up fast and Rothesay derailed the rear axle of the front bogie in short tunnel at 70mph and went 110 metres destroying track the eventually engine turned on its side and under a bridge and he survived, the poor fireman didn't. 11-on, no passengers killed.

In any event I am having a Thompson craze.

I know that Duke of Rothesay did derail and overturn in the late 40s, but it was down in the London suburbs. There are photos of the aftermath.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, great northern said:

Difficult decision on this poll. Cardean got 4 votes to Wemyss Bay tanks 3...... but as Clive has been making the rules ever more flexible, what if I was to say that Graham's suggestion of the lovely Pickersgill 4.4.0s won, on account of the fact that the photo he put up got 5 likes?  No? Oh alright then.

To the dry side today, and the North British Railway. I wonder what Clive can dream up this time?

For today's nomination I have selected LNER No. 9875 a class H Atlantic. It was going to be preserved but sadly in WW2 it was scrapped.

• Like 3