Peterborough North

great northern

Cambridge. D16 obviously. A4 frequent visitors on KGX trains (running in turns is the usual excuse). So that includes the branch from Hitchin via Shepreth Junction as well.

But don't forget regular diversions. The line from Cambridge to Ely & March, then on to the ECML either via Peterborough, or Spalding.

And the little known fact that the the St.Ives loop has been used instead of Ely; I believe that officially they weren't supposed to, but myself and other CBG trainspotters have seen them round there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I’ll guess Doncaster and/or York.

Doncaster definitely Jonathan. They did get there on the GN/GE stoppers from March, and at the end of their lives Lincoln got a few. Supposedly those were for the St Marks- Nottingham trains, but I've seen photos of them on Doncaster shed, so they must have been used on Central to Doncaster trains, again via the GN/GE.

I am happy to be corrected, but I think it most unlikely that they reached York in BR days . The only way would be on the Colchester-Newcastle, which was a heavy train, and March had V2s specifically for that.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 45568 said:

Lincoln, on occasions of ECML diversions and the 40A D16s on the Nottingham trains? (It's a long bow but I'll draw it!!).

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Lincoln, yes indeed, but mainly in their last days, and those would be the 40A engines. I don't remember ever seeing them at Central before that, which would cover the period between 1954 and their transfer to 40A.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

Cambridge. D16 obviously. A4 frequent visitors on KGX trains (running in turns is the usual excuse). So that includes the branch from Hitchin via Shepreth Junction as well.

But don't forget regular diversions. The line from Cambridge to Ely & March, then on to the ECML either via Peterborough, or Spalding.

And the little known fact that the the St.Ives loop has been used instead of Ely; I believe that officially they weren't supposed to, but myself and other CBG trainspotters have seen them round there.

I agree Stewart, in fact, apart from PN, Cambridge would be the most likely place. I can think of one more though, and it is on the ECML.

• RMweb Premium
On 15/09/2024 at 07:35, KNP said:

PN156.jpg.30290df7ac1ecc7f98b7c10139ce638b.jpg

PN157.jpg.cc61d1d60ff38062f7b0db6a71dc0cd5.jpg

There's something about that first shot that reminds me of a 1960's Railway Todeller article - I don't mean that in a disparaging way, just that is what it hits in my forgettory.  Brian Monaghan photographer?

Just been doing a lot of catching up after 3 weeks away, KNP's photos have really added a new dimension (not just the above comment!) to the views we see, new viewpoints and techniques, as well as some clever computer work that whooshes well over my head!  Great stuff, enjoyed the run through the last few pages immensely, well done both.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1