Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Gilbert and everyone

Revealed!

We can finally say that the 'Lady in Blue' was on her way to the TV studios to make a cookery programme for Talking Pictures TV!🙂

Brian

IMG_0630.jpg

Brilliant!

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Revealed!

We can finally say that the 'Lady in Blue' was on her way to the TV studios to make a cookery programme for Talking Pictures TV!🙂

Brian

IMG_0630.jpg

"And may all your doughnuts turn out like Fanny's".

J. Cradock

• Funny 11

2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Revealed!

Brian

IMG_0630.jpg

Even the most extreme Reggie Perrin explanation for a late running service would not explain that she left Peterborough in the late 1950s and reached London for filming by the time they had colour TV and an internet watch again option.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Even the most extreme Reggie Perrin explanation for a late running service would not explain that she left Peterborough in the late 1950s and reached London for filming by the time they had colour TV and an internet watch again option.

But, as you have seen, she has not yet learned how to get on a train. About ten years later the penny dropped, she hopped on, and the rest, as they say, is history. Actually, I think the pin securing her to the ground may have rusted away by that time.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Hello woodenhead

Indeed...but it comes under the heading which all our railway modelling sits: Willing suspension of disbelief.🙂

Brian

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello woodenhead

Indeed...but it comes under the heading which all our railway modelling sits: Willing suspension of disbelief.🙂

Brian

Maybe, but late and very late trains are a feature of our railways so it is possible her journey went beyond London, she ended up on the southern and "Eleven years late, somebody had stolen the lines at Surbiton"

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

In fact I did see a model railway at the weekend which jarred my ability to suspend belief - the station, scenics and accompanying decoration was all at best transition period but the stock was 158s and 37/4 diesels with a dose of white insulfish vans and covhops shunted by an industrial Peckett 0-4-0.

Absolutely lovely model, trackwork etc but spoilt by late BR locos and passenger stock.

It might well have been a representation of a GNR period Kings Cross with IEPs it looked that far out to me.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I'm not sure wiping out Gilbert is to be recommended. Lawyers can be funny about such things.

I'm sure there's some legal president in case law that could be used in this situation about being edited out of a picture.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, KNP said:

These next pictures highlight problems you will have photographing this layout....

Firstly, signals lovely, well made ones but designed with pointy bits at the top that catches the clothing wherever you get near.

PN144.jpg.cd317441e6d88a706e48e58f9efec923.jpg

And secondly

GPS.....!

No not the global one but one that appertains to this room only.

Namely the 

Gilbert Positioning Syndrome   ???

PN145.jpg.358d5fa2a460a55e0250d313c876b9ad.jpg

But with a bit of editing all is saved.....

PN146.jpg.3671b1c05bd3e63ec1fd6876ef3b40bb.jpg

Didn't want to discard the shot as it was a nice angle rarely seen looking down the layout from the other side of the bridge.

Camera held against the wall and I sort of guessed the angle, took a depth breath and pressed the trigger with the timer set to 20sec so I could steady it......then!!!

Well Kevin, as to the signals, that one is in the most vulnerable position, and I did give its predecessor a hefty clout. That taught me to be much more careful with this one, but on occasions there can still be close calls. I find the more annoying thing is photoshopping between all those lattices, and if you tell me that you have a clever programme that deals with the problem I may become quite upset.

As to the second image, I do not recall being asked to keep out of shot, but then of course hearing is not my easiest task these days. I'm not at all sure I wish to be erased though, but thankfully it doesn't seem to have been permanent.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I'm not sure wiping out Gilbert is to be recommended. Lawyers can be funny about such things.

I can think of plenty of people, I use the term loosely, who would have liked that to happen, after or even during the time I was prosecuting them.

I well remember one man who protested to the Magistrates while I was cross examining him. His complaint was along the lines that I should be asking him nice questions like his own solicitor did.

• Like 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The only snag with the new angle is it makes the row of grain hoppers look as if they are on the edge of the world. 

That's coz they are!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's coz they are!

Indeed. Its the Midland beyond that, and further still ancient fables speak of another railway too. I'm happy though that the wagons are there. If they were not, there literally would be nothing. Nothing railway related, anyway.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/09/2024 at 06:51, KNP said:

And here is a loco with a rather smart motion (to my eyes!)

PN147.jpg.37569a6a71bf36a03d8c2a1e69015339.jpg

So I thought, let's get a close up of that motion

PN149.jpg.3b7856b25e0be80bb119aeed6a8b7e12.jpg

Wow! - the fitters at New England must have had some big screwdrivers in 1958 .........

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4