Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Morning,

not sure if any followers of this thread are aware, but Peterborough Museum currently have an exhibition featuring Peterborough Railways. Some of it focuses on the ‘other’ station, that is East rather than North, but nevertheless may be of interest to some who are not too distant. The link below gives some details, and you’ll see there is a static model of Peterborough East station by Market Deeping Model Railway Club, plus talks on various subjects. Enjoy or ignore as you wish.

https://peterboroughmuseum.org.uk/events/peterborough-railways

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, ITG said:

Morning,

not sure if any followers of this thread are aware, but Peterborough Museum currently have an exhibition featuring Peterborough Railways. Some of it focuses on the ‘other’ station, that is East rather than North, but nevertheless may be of interest to some who are not too distant. The link below gives some details, and you’ll see there is a static model of Peterborough East station by Market Deeping Model Railway Club, plus talks on various subjects. Enjoy or ignore as you wish.

https://peterboroughmuseum.org.uk/events/peterborough-railways

Ian

Thank you very much for this Ian. I certainly wasn't aware of it, but I shall now be making a visit. The Museum and Library were very helpful to me when I first started my research back in 2010, and provided a lot of valuable information. It has always been my intention to offer the station side of the layout to the Museum eventually, and this will be the ideal opportunity to start discussions about that.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I never saw the pretty lady in the blue dress!

Well, that's because it is mainly about East, and she is pinned to a platform at North.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, great northern said:

Well, that's because it is mainly about East, and she is pinned to a platform at North.

But surely also that she was catching a train that was due to stop at North? What would have been the point in her going to the East station, when her destination (now that’s another question) wasn’t served by the East?

Ian

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ITG said:

But surely also that she was catching a train that was due to stop at North? What would have been the point in her going to the East station, when her destination (now that’s another question) wasn’t served by the East?

Ian

She never catches a train though. I think she is a secret spotter, keeps her Ian Allan in her handbag. Probably waiting for Cicero, as we all did.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2024 at 22:58, Clive Mortimore said:

No Guv not me.

It were that Dudders geezer who said about straight boilers, well Sir Nige's N-gins didn't have straight boilers, well them A3s and V2s didn't.

I I tried my bestest not to be rude about the funny shaped boilers on the Great Western. They weren't straight in fact they were a bit queer looking.

The shape of the boilers on Great Western locomotives are the correct shape, all the others are wrong due to lack of engineering knowledge. Any GWR enthusiast such as myself knows that.😁

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tankerman said:

The shape of the boilers on Great Western locomotives are the correct shape, all the others are wrong due to lack of engineering knowledge. Any GWR enthusiast such as myself knows that.😁

Someone told me that GWR enthusiasts have an infinite capacity for self delusion. He may have been wrong though, I suppose.🤭

• Funny 11

7 hours ago, great northern said:

She never catches a train though. I think she is a secret spotter, keeps her Ian Allan in her handbag. Probably waiting for Cicero, as we all did.

No, she's got wind of the production Deltics being ordered, and she wants to be the first to cop one. She's a classy lady, with taste too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

No, she's got wind of the production Deltics being ordered, and she wants to be the first to cop one. She's a classy lady, with taste too.

Blimey, I hope she has plenty of patience, its a four year wait.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

9 hours ago, great northern said:

An Ivatt 4 arrives from Yarmouth Beach, the DMU idles away in number 5 bay, and our elderly C12 just rests.

43084.JPG.dbe0abb788dbba39326ceb5b1fbc1e1e.JPG

Hermit's wait is over, and away it goes to Grantham, where it will come off the train.

5109leaves.JPG.b7c6d5af79a9685a2331e067ff312c73.JPG

Gang visiting today, and there is a goodie from Steve. Quite an unusual one too.

Those M&GN services are strange.   They arrive but we never see them leave,  reminds me of a certain Eagles song lyric.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1