Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I like the second pic best. The figure is very fine and worth the larger shot. The loco is much more visible too.

I hadn't noticed the barrel distortion until Ian pointed it out!

Syd

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, juke said:

I hadn't noticed the barrel distortion until Ian pointed it out!

Sorry chaps, what is barrel distortion? Something to do with the ruts made by rolling many barrels of beer?

I'm embarrassed now....

Kind regards,

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Sorry chaps, what is barrel distortion? Something to do with the ruts made by rolling many barrels of beer?

Lens distortion typically takes a straight line and puts a curve in it, as above the doorways in Gilbert's full-frame pic. There are two principal types - barrel, as here, where the line curves away from the centre of the pic, and pincushion, where it curves in towards the centre. Neither is desirable where architectural or vehicular subjects are concerned. Imagine a loco with a boiler other than straight!

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Lens distortion typically takes a straight line and puts a curve in it, as above the doorways in Gilbert's full-frame pic. There are two principal types - barrel, as here, where the line curves away from the centre of the pic, and pincushion, where it curves in towards the centre. Neither is desirable where architectural or vehicular subjects are concerned. Imagine a loco with a boiler other than straight!

Like an A3 or V2 with their camel humps?

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, great northern said:

Is he being naughty again?

No Guv not me.

It were that Dudders geezer who said about straight boilers, well Sir Nige's N-gins didn't have straight boilers, well them A3s and V2s didn't.

I I tried my bestest not to be rude about the funny shaped boilers on the Great Western. They weren't straight in fact they were a bit queer looking.

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 04/07/2024 at 10:02, jwealleans said:

Without wishing to be indelicate, Gilbert, is there a fat bloke on the bog in that BSK?   It has quite a list.

Good morning Jonathan,

The fat bloke has left the bog! 

The carriage in question (which I built) is now straight and level. Less than a five minute fix; it's a Trice/Hornby conversion and the body had been pushed down too far on one side after a Kadee coupling had been fitted, it would seem.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
clumsy grammar
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1