Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Being a resident of a village on the Lincolnshire coast I would like to defend Skeggy.

Gilbert, when you had a day job how hard was it to defend the undefendable?

Very hard. That's why I switched to prosecuting. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mullie said:

Or they could plan to get a train across the M&GN to Great Yarmouth next year not realising it will be shut and the train will have to take a very different route.

Martyn

London to Yarmouth via the M&GN? You would spend half your week's holiday getting there, and the other half getting back.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I have friends who live on the Lincolnshire coast.  I believe Skegness is the only place they never visit.

David

• Funny 4

On 22/07/2024 at 06:33, DaveF said:

I have friends who live on the Lincolnshire coast.  I believe Skegness is the only place they never visit.

David

I visited Skegness on my recent UK trip but only briefly - to see a Jolly Fisherman and photograph the remaining semaphores and GN signal box. Even then the station at Wainfleet was probably more interesting.

Edited by Woodcock29
Correct somersaults to semaphores which is what I meant to write!
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, DaveF said:

David

Don't tell me they've been to Cleethorpes?  

Roja

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great northern said:

And no-one has mentioned Mablethorpe yet.

Please Sir! I will! Ancient Trains Illustrated mags had pics of Summer Saturday specials Leicester to Mablethorpe, a place I had never heard of at 13. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Please Sir! I will! Ancient Trains Illustrated mags had pics of Summer Saturday specials Leicester to Mablethorpe, a place I had never heard of at 13. 

But those of us who have been there know it is best not to even think about it, let alone mention it.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

So basically what you're all saying is don't go to the Lincolnshire coast?

As I live Darn Sarf that is easily done!

Still, I come from the county with Clacton in it. The chance to ride a 309 unit to the coast was worth the day out, sadly no longer possible.

Martyn

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of prolonging the Lincolnshire agony for those who know it well, I have to make a mitigation in favour of Cleethorpes. In 1949 it was the birthplace of one of my few musical heroes. The composer and engine behind the group Heatwave (think Boogie Nights) Rod Temperton went on to even greater things, composing three tracks on the best-selling pop album of all time - Michael Jackson's 'Thriller'. Here endeth the boring lesson. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

12 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

At the risk of prolonging the Lincolnshire agony for those who know it well, I have to make a mitigation in favour of Cleethorpes. In 1949 it was the birthplace of one of my few musical heroes. The composer and engine behind the group Heatwave (think Boogie Nights) Rod Temperton went on to even greater things, composing three tracks on the best-selling pop album of all time - Michael Jackson's 'Thriller'. Here endeth the boring lesson. 

Cleethorpe's only redeeming feature!

Roja

• Funny 1

I just have to say that I visited Skegness last year on a visit to the UK - we have lived in New Zealand for over 30 years - and found the locals to be absolutely fabulous. Travelling by train from there to various locations in Nottinghamshire and over to Merseyside we found the services amazing, admittedly comparing it to our NZ third world service, but have many happy memories of the East coast and Lincolnshire. Find it hard to hear such negativity from the locals when we see such a great place. Just our view.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1