Peterborough North

great northern

Hi,

as much as I like your photoshopped images my personal view is that the photographers of the past didn't have such technology so, unless they were willing to spend hours of time in a darkroom developing and modifying their photographs, we get the full 'warts and all' photos!    So, unless it's something blindingly obvious, such as a signal growing out of a chimney, or maybe the walls of the room, I'd leave the photo's just as they come!

Roja

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

as much as I like your photoshopped images my personal view is that the photographers of the past didn't have such technology so, unless they were willing to spend hours of time in a darkroom developing and modifying their photographs, we get the full 'warts and all' photos!    So, unless it's something blindingly obvious, such as a signal growing out of a chimney, or maybe the walls of the room, I'd leave the photo's just as they come!

Roja

My parents were both photographers and they spent hours developing and printing. And yes, any manipulation was frowned upon. My father once took a photo of a font in a church on long exposure, and realised when he got the print that he had put a cigarette on the top of the font to help with focus, and forgotten to remove it. Just to see if he could, he spotted it out with many tiny brush applications, and when he finished, it had gone. But the Royal Society would not have liked that, so it was never exhibited.

However, and to my mind this is the important bit, the background to his photo was the part of the church behind the font. It was the real view. The background to my representation of Peterborough North though is that of a room, blinds. walls, door frames etc, and for me that ruins any hope of sense of reality and context. And that means, in turn, that I shall have to carry on the sometimes laborious and often rather tedious process of photoshopping.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

My parents were both photographers and they spent hours developing and printing. And yes, any manipulation was frowned upon. My father once took a photo of a font in a church on long exposure, and realised when he got the print that he had put a cigarette on the top of the font to help with focus, and forgotten to remove it. Just to see if he could, he spotted it out with many tiny brush applications, and when he finished, it had gone. But the Royal Society would not have liked that, so it was never exhibited.

However, and to my mind this is the important bit, the background to his photo was the part of the church behind the font. It was the real view. The background to my representation of Peterborough North though is that of a room, blinds. walls, door frames etc, and for me that ruins any hope of sense of reality and context. And that means, in turn, that I shall have to carry on the sometimes laborious and often rather tedious process of photoshopping.

A photo which hasn't been photoshopped from my last visit to Gilbertborough. I thought he was trying to hide the bus so took this photo without him knowing, only for him to ask me if I want his buses about 10 minutes later.

006a.jpg.9dfc08c0ef9eb9dc284d741dbdbc4420.jpg

Still considering Gilbert's kind offer.

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

More happy holidaymakers head for Skegness on the 1108 from KX.

Are you sure you can use happy and Skegness in the same sentence?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Are you sure you can use happy and Skegness in the same sentence?

They haven't got there yet. Although I accept that it is more appropriate when you are looking back, and seeing it receding into the distance.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

"The best thing about Boston is the 5 o'clock train back to New York!" Another Boston, obviously.....

But New York never had a station

Google maps

Edited by Welly
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

A photo which hasn't been photoshopped from my last visit to Gilbertborough. I thought he was trying to hide the bus so took this photo without him knowing, only for him to ask me if I want his buses about 10 minutes later.

006a.jpg.9dfc08c0ef9eb9dc284d741dbdbc4420.jpg

Still considering Gilbert's kind offer.

What's that squiggle?

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

"The best thing about Boston is the 5 o'clock train back to New York!" Another Boston, obviously.....

I should hope so. Boston Lincs is a very noteworthy place. Some important people were born there.

Edited by great northern
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, great northern said:

But what?

The first person to guess what is under the squiggle gets a prize. 

Gilbert is not allowed to join in cos he might remember what he just dumped on the floor.

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Gilbert is not allowed to join in cos he might remember what he just dumped on the floor.

If he cannot remember doing THAT then he's in trouble. 💩

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

If he cannot remember doing THAT then he's in trouble. 💩

You would think someone would remember leaving a xxxxxxxx on the floor.

• Funny 1

41 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

His address?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, great northern said:

The B1 pulls away, and Skeggy starts getting closer.

1210793.JPG.c5e8b3c662e1bcfaa39f2739564ed5e2.JPG

and here is what the camera saw.

IMG_9682.JPG.f247c6840d1b823748cdf3a1184d0e3c.JPG

I accept this is not one of the worst true backscenes that I get, but surely the shopped one is better?

There is a clue in these images as to what is under the squiggle, by the way, but you have to get it completely correct to get Clive's prize. Goodness knows what that is.

That Doncaster slow that runs via the GN/GE also appears on a Saturday, when a March B17 appeared regularly, given the number of prototype shots to be found. Doncaster Rovers is a very appropriate choice, but not deliberate, the sequence said it was the one.

12a16571.JPG.d8ca4d8e03dbf1391ee88bcdc01eaf31.JPG

A genuine 'wow' from me on that first photo - it's like looking through the pages of one of the fabulous Ian Allan colour portfolio books. The colour palette is particularly good!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Which New York are we on about cos this one does? image.png.983558914176885c06d2445726a56c27.png

Of course the real one doesn't.

image.png.7d5205931309a9e9d351264406ef7fdd.png

Well several of those places had stations, but I don't think New York was one of them!

The Skegness train would have passed through New England on its journey.... 🤣

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Welly said:

But New York never had a station

Google maps

Dogdyke and Tumby Woodside, just up the road, did, as immortalised by Flanders and Swann.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2