Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

My Ian Allan suggests this is an O4/2?

63890 was converted to 01 in 1948 Ian, according to the RCTS green book, and my 1958 Ian Allan agrees. Timara actually based this one on a colour photo of it at March in the late 50s, so I'm pretty confident it is right.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

The shot of the A4 under the station roof is one of the best at that spot. I think that it is the light streaming through the glass in the roof that sets it of.

Eric

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Loving the V2s at the moment.  How many non-stops were there through PN?  Elizabethan, Flying Scotsman I presume, but what about the Pullmans?  I must dig out my WTTs again and pore through I think.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, trw1089 said:

Loving the V2s at the moment.  How many non-stops were there through PN?  Elizabethan, Flying Scotsman I presume, but what about the Pullmans?  I must dig out my WTTs again and pore through I think.

Cheers

Tony

That was something I could not resist Tony. Summer 58, Saturday Down expresses only, 38 of 62 stopped. However, if one takes out Skegness trains, the proportion is quite a bit lower. None of the Pullmans stopped at PN, weekdays or Saturdays, but the mix of other trains is interesting, as both West Riding and Newcastle services stopped in about equal proportion, whereas the general rule of thumb was that the West Riding trains stopped at the smaller stations such as Newark and Retford, whereas the ECML ones stopped at the larger ones. Grantham is an exception, because of the amount of engine changing there.

The other interesting thing is that the proportion of trains stopping increases as the day goes on, until by evening most stop. Logical really, as line occupation lessens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Of course I then had to look at Up trains too, of which 21 of 51 stopped. However, if I strip out the E.Lincs trains it gets much less, and if one disregards evening trains, less still. Entirely logical with only one Up platform, of course, but still the trains were usually queuing up to get through.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I do admit to a slight bias, anything GE or M&GN gets my vote.

Seems an unusual decision to send such modern locos to the M&GN, they did sterling work on the line and were desperately needed. 

Martyn 

• Like 1