Peterborough North

great northern

56 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

All photos of the carriage warming units I have seen have their couplings in place. I have seen a photo of the Ipswich carriage warming unit playing at being a Thunderbird and rescuing a failed DMU at Manningtree.

s009.jpg.15c7a38db84d041e7d65536e29382e7a.jpg

Norwich's nuber 19 on loan to Hanging Hill Depot

I remember reading somewhere that their boilers were no longer certified for mainline use, of course I could be wrong. I think the example in the Ian Allen photo I've seen has had its couplings removed.

Martyn

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

That is a very clean carriage warming unit.

At least it is a boiler that works, assuming that the driver has enabled train heating. Far better than those Clayton montrosities that were fitted to some diesel loco's and far better than being poisoned in a DMU with "train fumigation" on. Then again I was spoilt being an SR type with DEMUs and the electric train heat fitted Cromptons.

Kind regards,

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, great northern said:

Oh dear.Oh dear, oh dear......Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.........Oh dear.......... Does anyone remember the hilarious Tony Hancock sketch where all he did was sit and look as lugubrious as only he could, and repeat those words over and over again? Well worth googling it if you haven't seen it. And why am I mentioning it? Because I had a serious oh dear interval earlier, when I started thinking that not only is there little to add to the layout now, but also that I've run the sequence so often that I know exactly what's coming. Before I knew it, I was thinking about a GE mainline junction station, with all the lovely associated locos that would go with it. This way madness lies. I must be stopped.

Maybe but then again maybe not. Sometimes you just have to rip it out and start again don't you?!

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, great northern said:

Oh dear.Oh dear, oh dear......Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.........Oh dear.......... Does anyone remember the hilarious Tony Hancock sketch where all he did was sit and look as lugubrious as only he could, and repeat those words over and over again? Well worth googling it if you haven't seen it. And why am I mentioning it? Because I had a serious oh dear interval earlier, when I started thinking that not only is there little to add to the layout now, but also that I've run the sequence so often that I know exactly what's coming. Before I knew it, I was thinking about a GE mainline junction station, with all the lovely associated locos that would go with it. This way madness lies. I must be stopped.

I have a signalling plan of Shenfield about the time the 1500V dc was about to be extended to Chelmsford and Southend. Not only all those loverly GE locos  but Slippery Door Stock (called AM6 or class 306) EMUs before conversion to 25KV ac. Plus I have a collection of photos of the OLE mast.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have a signalling plan of Shenfield about the time the 1500V dc was about to be extended to Chelmsford and Southend. Not only all those loverly GE locos  but Slippery Door Stock (called AM6 or class 306) EMUs before conversion to 25KV ac. Plus I have a collection of photos of the OLE mast.

…..and I have a Summer timetable for 1955, the last summer before the Heathen Electrics found there way to Southend, so between us we have the basis of Gilbert’s next layout !
An endless stream of Britannias and B1’s going it Norwich Yarmouth and Harwich, anything that steams going to Southend and plenty of excursions coming from the LMR.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, ref the Schedule etc.

Did much change between 1958 and 1963? I understand certain Loco's and maybe some stock would have changed/gone.

How about just upping the date to (say) 1960 to '62 ish?

The layout remains the same?

The timetable may have changed a bit?

There will be different Engines? Proper Deltics?

If you need another layout then Lincoln will call loudly methinks?

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Nah ... go back'ards the other way. Think of all those other lovely Ds, Js, Ks (etc) you could have ...

Glad you said that. I'd forgotten about mid 50s. Gilbert will need more Blood and Custard Coaches and early emblem Tenders!

I suggest doing both!

Play 1954/5, 1958 and 1961/2/or3

Geez that's a hell of lot more Engines required. 

Philth.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Gilbert, ref the Schedule etc.

Did much change between 1958 and 1963? I understand certain Loco's and maybe some stock would have changed/gone.

How about just upping the date to (say) 1960 to '62 ish?

The layout remains the same?

The timetable may have changed a bit?

There will be different Engines? Proper Deltics?

If you need another layout then Lincoln will call loudly methinks?

Phil

Nice lateral thinking Phil, but the later I'd go, the more of my favourite locos would be gone too. 1958 is the last year i can justify them all together. And some of my A3s would be no good as they all had double chimneys, and even the unsightly deflectors would be needed, and I can't even think about having them. Deltics good, though I'd need plenty, so more expense.

Lincoln can't be done properly in 25ft, and again the expense of just the buildings would be too much.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Nah ... go back'ards the other way. Think of all those other lovely Ds, Js, Ks (etc) you could have ...

More good lateral thinking Graham, but again very costly problems. A4s and A3s should have single chimneys, no maroon stock etc etc.  Wrong crests too. When I started this layout I had several quite lucrative self employed avenues, so money was no problem in the early and most expensive years. Now my pensions wouldn't stand the shock. it is a very tempting thought, but sadly not practicable.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Glad you said that. I'd forgotten about mid 50s. Gilbert will need more Blood and Custard Coaches and early emblem Tenders!

I suggest doing both!

Play 1954/5, 1958 and 1961/2/or3

Geez that's a hell of lot more Engines required. 

Philth.

It certainly is, far too many I'm afraid.

• Friendly/supportive 1