Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

More of 60853 this evening. If nothing else, these show the considerable difference in lighting between north and south ends, caused I'm pretty sure by the south end light unit being more directly over the layout.

78532.JPG.dcac203fcef4751f72fc1e4b643ac187.JPG

88533.JPG.0d12f09204089861be16dff57e954ebc.JPG

It's always sunnier in the South.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 4

On 11/01/2024 at 04:56, great northern said:

An experiment which I don't think came off. Little merit to this, but every image I can get at the moment helps, so here it is.

27002.JPG.4cbe2b3e45bf0a54c972b6fb80af0455.JPG

Then we have yet another 9F on its way to Ferme Park.

321441.JPG.37810d819f8c8a6e0ade030352d5bfb0.JPG

G'Day Folks

I like that view of W1, next to the slab wall of the bridge, a good everyday pic of the railways doing it's job. It wasn't all glamour.

manna

manna

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

It all goes quiet for a while around 5.30pm, so when a DMU appears from Skegness it gets a  bit more attention than it might if there was something more glamorous around.

9DMU.JPG.67ffe75a6966c7ac476b313b1673272c.JPG

It even got a second shot as it throbbed away in the gloom.

10DMUunder.JPG.c9b18d51f19186e34609406ac3ca7a19.JPG

Ah a lovely Cravens unit. Bill Haley and the Comets sung this song about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CXFXB4uknI

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, great northern said:

Clive is having a good day today, as Leicester have turned out a 3F for the teatime local from East.

113411.JPG.7049e6de917410b7df8bc9d939693699.JPG

Shear functional beauty on wheels. Only matched by a MR 990 class 4 passenger loco.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Forgive me for I have....fallen behind in my viewing!  Sorry, personal health issues.

Thanks for the N5 plonk, lovely shot, I rather like the 3F too, memories of an old Tri-ang one.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, great northern said:

It all goes quiet for a while around 5.30pm, so when a DMU appears from Skegness it gets a  bit more attention than it might if there was something more glamorous around.

Not from me I’m afraid. Give me an EE type 4 or Deltic any time and I’ll bite your hand off, but bog carts are just glorified buses!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Not from me I’m afraid. Give me an EE type 4 or Deltic any time and I’ll bite your hand off, but bog carts are just glorified buses!

Yes, I'm inclined to agree with you. The only thing in their favour when they first appeared was the view from the front seat, if some nasty mean driver didn't pull the blinds down. They came to Lincoln very early, so by the time I was old enough to understand and appreciate them most of the steam hauled trains with antiquated locos and stock were gone. That's a good enough reason for not liking DMUs. Totally lacking in character as well. Clive will be along shortly. In seething mode.

• Agree 1

Re: Coaching Stock in sidings.

(As in "the C12 has been down to Nene sidings to collect the stock for the 5.25 slow to KX")

Would not steam-heated coaches put away in sidings for any length of time need to be heated before inclusion in a train?

Or were there special provisions for heating stock?

(perhaps withdrawn locomotives of the sort one sees pictures of at sheds.)

Or perhaps PN is set at the time of year when heating was not required?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, drmditch said:

Re: Coaching Stock in sidings.

(As in "the C12 has been down to Nene sidings to collect the stock for the 5.25 slow to KX")

Would not steam-heated coaches put away in sidings for any length of time need to be heated before inclusion in a train?

Or were there special provisions for heating stock?

(perhaps withdrawn locomotives of the sort one sees pictures of at sheds.)

Or perhaps PN is set at the time of year when heating was not required?

PN is set in the summer of 1958 nearly all the time, so that isn't something I've considered. I'd be surprised if the two station pilots would have had time to be down in Nene sidings heating stock, as there was plenty of work for them at the station. Some photos do show the loco which will be taking the train bringing the stock in themselves, so I suppose they could have gone down early and done the job themselves. I admit it is something I hadn't thought about. Are any of our erudite contributors able to give us an answer?

Without trawling back over old Trains Illustrateds to check I am pretty sure that  couple of BI’s were kept for carriage heating purposes at Holloway or somewhere to steam heat stock for Kings Cross for some tome after the demise of steam .. I don’t think there was any carriage heating in the summer months though ( possibly for the duration of the summer timetable).

I have read that the reason the Standard 9F’s were not used on winter passenger trains was because they lacked steam heating equipment. Has anyone seen photos of 9F’s on winter passenger services ?
I am not dead certain about this but fairly sure that in some areas at least it was common practice to remove steam hearting equipment during the summer , presumably to prevent corrosion.

I suppose one way to check would be to look at some pictures taken in summer and see if there are any signs of steam leaks coming up from between the couplings as there certainly are in winter. 

Edited by jazzer
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 13/01/2024 at 18:28, jazzer said:

Without trawling back over old Trains Illustrateds to check I am pretty sure that  couple of BI’s were kept for carriage heating purposes at Holloway or somewhere to steam heat stock for Kings Cross for some tome after the demise of steam .. I don’t think there was any carriage heating in the summer months though ( possibly for the duration of the summer timetable).

I have read that the reason the Standard 9F’s were not used on winter passenger trains was because they lacked steam heating equipment. Has anyone seen photos of 9F’s on winter passenger services ?
I am not dead certain about this but fairly sure that in some areas at least it was common practice to remove steam hearting equipment during the summer , presumably to prevent corrosion.

I suppose one way to check would be to look at some pictures taken in summer and see if there are any signs of steam leaks coming up from between the couplings as there certainly are in winter. 

According to Dr Ian Allen B1s were used for steam heating at Yarmouth Vauxhall, Norwich, Lowestoft and Ipswich during the winter of 1962/63. They were given new numbers and their couplings removed so they couldn't be put back in traffic. A photo of such a B1 is featured in one of his excellent photo albums.

A J15 was used as a stationary boiler at Melton Constable after its withdrawal.

Martyn

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, mullie said:

According to Dr Ian Allen B1s were used for steam heating at Yarmouth Vauxhall, Norwich, Lowestoft and Ipswich during the winter of 1962/63. They were given new numbers and their couplings removed so they couldn't be put back in traffic. A photo of such a B1 is featured in one of his excellent photo albums.

A J15 was used as a stationary boiler at Melton Constable after its withdrawal.

Martyn

All photos of the carriage warming units I have seen have their couplings in place. I have seen a photo of the Ipswich carriage warming unit playing at being a Thunderbird and rescuing a failed DMU at Manningtree.

s009.jpg.15c7a38db84d041e7d65536e29382e7a.jpg

Norwich's nuber 19 on loan to Hanging Hill Depot

• Like 10