Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, great northern said:

Must have been a big storm to leave that debris on the platform.

Very contemporary that....

So many people suffering the effects of recent storms including friends of ours down in Wiltshire. If we ever flood in Buxton then the game is up!

Kind regards,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I take it the "shortie BSK" comes from an era in which passengers' luggage was more significant and extra space was needed. The Southern had sought to cater for such on its West of England services in the '20s with 10 3-sets having two 4-compartment brakes. By the '50s they were all on Somerset & Dorset local services - premium trains now needed seats not space. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I take it the "shortie BSK" comes from an era in which passengers' luggage was more significant and extra space was needed. The Southern had sought to cater for such on its West of England services in the '20s with 10 3-sets having two 4-compartment brakes. By the '50s they were all on Somerset & Dorset local services - premium trains now needed seats not space. 

The short Gresleys were originally built for the GE section, the problem being mainly at Liverpool Street and with the length of its platforms, which meant that with the number of through carriages on most principal trains a shorter vehicle thatn the 61ft 6ins standard was required otherwise trains would have been too long for the platforms. By the 50s though they had spread out and appeared all over the place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gilbert

I would love to see the 'shortie' stock made!

I have attached a clip from The Guide to The 00 Wishlist Poll for information.

Brian

LNER Gresley GE Section Stock 52ft 6in (Diags.9, 141, 146, 216, 1926-1936)

In essence, a shorter version of the standard 61ft 6in stock (Hornby), generally with one fewer compartment or bay. This stock comprised:

·      Corridor Composite to Diag.9, introduced in 1926 (with the same underframe as used on the Diag.190 Corridor Composite in the steel panel 5-sets above); 

·      Corridor Third to Diag.141, introduced in 1929;

·      Corridor Brake to Third Diag.146, introduced in 1932;

·      Tourist Open Third to Diag.216, introduced in 1936

The shorter length was necessary due to a combination of factors but the principal reason goes back to the introduction of the ‘Jazz’ services. The whole of the GE London Suburban Area track layouts were systematically rationalised and re-signalled. As part of the re-signalling the locking and fouling bars were all set to be activated by coaches no longer than the then Great Eastern Railway standard of 54ft. To have a longer gap between inside bogie wheels could give false indications by not detecting the presence of a train.

The Continental Boat Trains used platforms 9 & 10 which were both longer and also arrivals and departures could be specially controlled by the signal boxes. Outside the London Area the signalling did not present the same constraints so standard length stock was acceptable if not working into Liverpool Street.

In later years, the stock appeared on cross-country workings (e.g. Exmouth-Cleethorpes via the S&D and York-Bournemouth via Oxford) and on ex-GCR lines. Diag.216 No.E60544E was photographed at Paddington in 1962. One Corridor Brake Third survives on the Great Central Railway, though not yet in public service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Could the 7 door Gresley be an ex GE shortie?

As for the 40, I love them. But yours could do with the folded over lamp covers on the end which is attached to the coaches.

Andy

Not only could be, but is, and I put it in the formation to give Steve @31a's work a bit more well deserved exposure. However, this happened a whole week ago, and that length of time can be a bit of a memory challenge these days. As to the 40, I, or probably Timara, will see what can be done.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, great northern said:

The C12 has gone off, probably to recover from its exertions, and D209 has backed on.

17209.JPG.6185d9a27eb8572c1249c1bef5fcfd58.JPG

York used a brand new one on the York-Yarmouth through train as far as Lincoln, so we got plenty of chances to look at one. I say one, because it was always the same one, D251. Before that we never quite knew what was going to turn up. B1s of course, but also B16s of all types and the occasional D49. Those were indeed the days.

York EE Type 4s got as far as Colchester on the Colchester - Glasgow service in the mid 60s - a bit late for Peterborough North perhaps. At the time a Scottish regiment was based at Colchester barracks and the service ran mainly for troops coming back from and going on leave. I think the Colchester departure was around 5.15pm as I used to see it when catching my train home after staying  on after hours at school for orchestra practice. I don't know when this started or when it finished. Clive will no doubt know!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keith Turbutt said:

York EE Type 4s got as far as Colchester on the Colchester - Glasgow service in the mid 60s - a bit late for Peterborough North perhaps. At the time a Scottish regiment was based at Colchester barracks and the service ran mainly for troops coming back from and going on leave. I think the Colchester departure was around 5.15pm as I used to see it when catching my train home after staying  on after hours at school for orchestra practice. I don't know when this started or when it finished. Clive will no doubt know!

Or, for Colchester enquires; PaulG

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Yes, too late for me. I deliberately chose 1958 for a number of reasons, one of which was that only five Type 4s had arrived on the ECML by that time, so my Colchester-Glasgow still allows me a visiting Gateshead Pacific. York didn't get any till 1959/60, if my memory serves me correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1