Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Unless I get banned from the next gang visit you wish will come true.

Name the bus company I might have one in that livery. A Wigan Corporation PD2?

I'm sure I've already told you. Lincoln Corporation Leyland, fleet number 61, as running in mid 50s. Simples.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

FinalBackscene_Spitalend.jpg.b512b667405b7e43fe6bbed9b5e7e2e7.jpgI noted Phil's discussion around a backdrop for the other side of Crescent Bridge.  A whiles ago, with Gilbert's input, I played around with this one for the Spital Bridge end.  It was based on a couple of photos of the skyline taken from the end of the platform and shows the Baker Perkins building in the further distance with the profile of the building roofs in the foreground.  Given the colourising things now available on the web, the original pic could probably be coloured more to add some more texture and contrast  to the foreground buildings in the backdrop, but then this might draw the eye away from the layout too much.  I seem to remember we decided that it probably wasn't really going to add anything to the bridge end of the scene but Gilbert might have better recollections of why it didn't go further.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 04/12/2023 at 10:59, Clive Mortimore said:

Unless I get banned from the next gang visit you wish will come true.

Name the bus company I might have one in that livery. A Wigan Corporation PD2?

Now our Gilbert has stated that City of Lincoln number 61 will be the only bus allowed.

Over the past couple of days I have been doing some research and number 61 was a pre war TD5 with Leyland body work. Having tried to alter a drawing of a post war PD 2 with Leyland bodywork I realised that the EFE PD2 is quite close to a TD5 in looks, just some small details that need changing. Rummaging in my box of buses I have a surplus Wigan Corporation PD2.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, trw1089 said:

FinalBackscene_Spitalend.jpg.b512b667405b7e43fe6bbed9b5e7e2e7.jpgI noted Phil's discussion around a backdrop for the other side of Crescent Bridge.  A whiles ago, with Gilbert's input, I played around with this one for the Spital Bridge end.  It was based on a couple of photos of the skyline taken from the end of the platform and shows the Baker Perkins building in the further distance with the profile of the building roofs in the foreground.  Given the colourising things now available on the web, the original pic could probably be coloured more to add some more texture and contrast  to the foreground buildings in the backdrop, but then this might draw the eye away from the layout too much.  I seem to remember we decided that it probably wasn't really going to add anything to the bridge end of the scene but Gilbert might have better recollections of why it didn't go further.

Cheers

Tony

I think it was more because when Andy Y and I tried  mocking up something very much like this along the wall, we found that it really only looked right from one angle. From anywhere else, unfortunately it wasn't very convincing.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh I do rather like those last two, although the photographer may be in some danger in the first unless they hop it pronto!

A bit of artistic licence is sometimes permitted Neil. The camera is, of course, much more bulky than a 4mm person, so I argue that I can take that into account when positioning it. I accept though that with this one I'm taking it to extremes.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, great northern said:

A bit of artistic licence is sometimes permitted Neil. The camera is, of course, much more bulky than a 4mm person, so I argue that I can take that into account when positioning it. I accept though that with this one I'm taking it to extremes.

Oh indeed - it was very much tongue in cheek, but I loved both of those shots, that corner of the layout always throws something up for me - the lane on the other side of the track for instance.  Funny that you didn't even intend for it to be scenic originally, and the curve etc, but it just has a lot of interest in it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

I think it was more because when Andy Y and I tried  mocking up something very much like this along the wall, we found that it really only looked right from one angle. From anywhere else, unfortunately it wasn't very convincing.

That's a great attempt. Hey ho, I hadn't realised that you'd gone to those lengths.

I wish I had those skills on a P.C.

One thing I have decided though, (due to this advice), about pics on my layout (one day in the very distant future), as it's Summer all the time in the scenic sections, any pics of something that would have been a winter event such as Diversions due to flooding (December ish 1960/I, I shall do in Black and White and lose the many Trees as far as possible.

Not the case here of course as Gilbert is strictly Summer all the time and there's only a few Trees. However, he could air-brush out the No 61!

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/12/2023 at 19:02, New Haven Neil said:

Buses - hate 'em.  This is how we treat them here....

51707948.jpg.2bde4198393c857b2aaa374391934248.jpg

PS: Nobody hurt.

Apols for clogging the thread, Gilbert.

Can't park there mate.

P

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Those two Kirk coaches are actually my own work, done about 35 years ago, when my eyes worked rather better in coordination with my hands, and before several fingers turned into thumbs.

Sadly, Scottish Union's lamps bear witness....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/12/2023 at 19:54, Oldddudders said:

Sadly, Scottish Union's lamps bear witness....

That's bl**dy blac tac Ian, not me. I took great trouble to get those lamps just right, but the stuff sometimes just grabs them and does things like this. I think one needs just a very small amount, but it has to in exactly the right place. I've got some of West Hill Wagon works recently issued ones, which are pre drilled, and look very nice. First impression though is that they are so small that they won't fit over RTR brackets. I hope I'm proved wrong.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

A very pleasant day with Andy, The Green Howards, who has taken some vidoe, which he will share in due course. Surprisingly, the trains behaved almost faultlessly throughout, and there were quite a few of them.

Thanks for your hospitality Gilbert. A very pleasant day with plenty of chat, quite a few trains run and hopefully some decent video. That will have to wait though as I had a 3.5 hour drive home in the rain and then an evening at my club packing up our exhibition layout for Sunday. Off to bed shortly!

Andy